I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 09:16:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis
| | |-+  'Low Battery' Baxter PD Cycler
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 'Low Battery' Baxter PD Cycler  (Read 5057 times)
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« on: August 29, 2016, 05:50:27 PM »

I've only been using my Cycler maybe a year and a half.  I don't know for sure.  I know I did manuals for over a year before starting on the Cycler.   Whatever...

Tonight during my setr-up I saw a 'Low Battery' warning, but only for 5 seconds or so as it popped up during the 'Please Wait' as it is changing steps during the set-up.    Because I've never seen this before and I KNOW the machine has to have some sort of battery to maintain memory for a while during a power outage, I called Baxter Tech and asked.

The Lady Tech told me the battery DOES need to be charged at regular intervals.   But did not specify how far apart those intervals are.  Just whenever I remember I guess.   Since I am a 'Guy' and we don't have much 'memory'  I'm thinking perhaps I should do this the first of every month.

After tear down at 'End of Treatment' shut off the Cycler.  Place a NEW bag of solution on the heater, then simply turn on the machine and leave it on all day.  Period.    The bag of solution keeps the heater from overheating and burning out.   Done.

Oh, and she said the machine battery will NOT hold memory for 'up to four hours' as I was told during training.  At most maybe two hours.

So, since I saw the 'Low Battery' signal I will do the charge sequence in the morning, then every month when my Clinic visit comes due.   Maybe I can remember that!
jcanavera

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 01:20:08 PM »

Best I understand was that there is a constant charge to the battery as long as the unit is plugged in.  It doesn't have to be turned on to provide charge.  We have gotten a low battery alarm once but that was after a period of time where the cord was unplugged on a daily basis between uses.  The person I talked to at Baxter said to just keep the cycler plugged into a powered outlet.  No need to keep the unit turned on constantly.

Jack
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2016, 07:54:58 PM »

I kept getting that 'Low Battery' warning at every set-up.  I never realized how noisy my machine was, it was like that from day one so I just thought they are all like that.  Almost 3 1/2 years but it stopped pumping and simply would not fill me one morning.

Baxter had a new machine delivered the next day.  And it is quiet, not totally quiet but almost compared to the old one it is almost silent.   WOW.

And no battery warning either!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »