I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:37:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Medical Breakthroughs
| | |-+  Would you like to go for a drive while you complete your hemodialysis treatment?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Would you like to go for a drive while you complete your hemodialysis treatment?  (Read 5121 times)
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« on: June 24, 2016, 02:16:35 PM »

Because I am a dialysis nerd I like to occasionally look through recent patent applications relating to dialysis. You never know what you will find.

Behold: the patent from FMC for a "Vehicle Comprising an Extracorporeal Blood Treatment Machine" http://tinyurl.com/gubggbf

It thoughtfully integrates with the vehicle's navigation and power system to ensure you will have enough power and time to complete your treatment before you arrive at your destination.

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
Incenter Hemodialysis: 1990 - 2001
Home Hemodialysis: 2001 - Present
NxStage System One Cycler 2007 - Present
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2016, 05:45:28 PM »

I want a nice motor home with solar panels, big batteries, and an inverter to operate my Cycler.  I could then go anywhere and go fishing. 

If I could afford fuel and the NON-residence fishing licenses.
kickingandscreaming
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2016, 06:12:17 PM »

It's a relatively new patent!  So it must be a thing. You can't make this kind of stuff up. ::)

Diagnosed with Stage 2 ESRD 2009
Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2016, 06:37:36 PM »

The patent was dated 11 days too late.

The underlying technology looks to be the same as the Fresenius PAK which recycles the dialysate.  The system has two filters - one for the blood, and one multi-layer filter to clean the dialysate that gets re-used keeping water use to 8L (according to the patent, info on the PAK suggests is uses 6L of water).
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2016, 07:57:49 PM »

Well I think I would worry about the system crashing, a power outage is one thing nut a 18 wheeler would really make a bummer of a session.
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2016, 09:30:43 AM »

Defensive driving is best learned riding a motorcycle as your Daiy Driver for many many years.

You learn to watch out for EVERYONE as No One is watching out for You!   You very quickly learn the important, how critical it is not only to merge, but to ALWAY leave youself an out, as place to go.  If the vehicle in front of you suddenly slows that you are not hemmed in on bother sides so that you can move to the free side.  Same thing if traveling alongside a vehicle, make sure that the space behind and on your other side has room for you to go if/when that one along side were to suddenly come over into your lane.

Intersections, you have to be away of cross traffic.  You would not believe how many accidents are caused by people running lights. When you gat the green light you HAVE TO check cross-traffic a BLOCK in both directions before pulling out into the intersection.  I have avoided countless T-bone accidents just sitting watching some idiot running the light.  Trust me, it happens all too often.  And when it does you will be very Thankful that you had waited.

There are a lot of idiots driving that do not pay attention to anything outside of themselves.   You have to watch every one of them to keep them from creating a problem for you.

Be careful out there!

Charlie B53
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2016, 09:40:13 AM »

I have often thought along wit weather forecasts there should be a MPM (Moron Per Mile) forecast to indicate the stupidly level on the road.
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2016, 06:55:46 PM »

I'm afraid that could be a very high number!

But back on topic as I am very easily distracted.   A motor home decently equipped would so neat to have.  There is a great number of places I would love to go visit, all far different from what I grew up in.   Dialysis, even PD hampers travel far too much.   It can be done with serious planning.   Air travel is possible, but I can't imagine attempting to take along very much solution.  Even one day supply, three bags would draw a lot of attention.  Not to mention the space it takes, plus the machine and accessories necessary.   A truck, van, or RV is a necessity.

Packing it out to the vehicle is a chore, as would be packing into a hotel or motel room.   The RV would be sweet!
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2016, 07:35:34 PM »

Air travel is possible, but I can't imagine attempting to take along very much solution.  Even one day supply, three bags would draw a lot of attention.  Not to mention the space it takes, plus the machine and accessories necessary.   A truck, van, or RV is a necessity.

I thought Baxter and/or FMC will ship your bags to your destination(s) at no charge?

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2016, 07:56:26 PM »

A motor home decently equipped would so neat to have.  There is a great number of places I would love to go visit, all far different from what I grew up in.   Dialysis, even PD hampers travel far too much.   It can be done with serious planning. 
Harvey Wells, who was a NxStage patient until he got a xplant traveled the country with his machine in his RV.  He even convinced NxStage to fund the trip, and made stops at various clinics as he traveled so prospective home patients to talk to him and help him while away the time while he was dialyzing.

And, yes, the clinics will generally arrange for PD or NxStage bags to be shipped to your destination.  I did that several times while I was on PD.
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2016, 12:25:25 AM »

Air travel is possible, but I can't imagine attempting to take along very much solution.  Even one day supply, three bags would draw a lot of attention.  Not to mention the space it takes, plus the machine and accessories necessary.   A truck, van, or RV is a necessity.

I thought Baxter and/or FMC will ship your bags to your destination(s) at no charge?

Jenna has flown several times in the US and her solution is shipped ahead of her arrival. She's doing manuals, which are smaller bags, so it's not too hard.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2016, 07:59:51 AM »

I think the freedom of an RV to travel far better than the rush to simply climb on a plane and get there.

Taking the time to stop and look at things makes the difference between flying (racing) and a leisurely stroll across the country.

Of course there are times when one must be in a hurry to get there then the airplane makes sense.

I try not to get in a hurry.   I like to think I have time yet.
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2016, 08:21:43 PM »

If you got the time taking a train ain't bad.  When I worked for AT&T I used to travel to Chicago a lot.  Board a train Monday afternoon and arrive in time for a 9:00 AM meeting in downtown Chicago.  Some how sleeping in a cabin in a train is very restful.
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2016, 05:05:52 AM »

I haven't tried the American rails yet.  While stationed in then West Germany it was very well developed system of rails.  I used them many many times.   Once an over-nighter to Berlin long before the wall came down.  That whole trip was an eye opener.  During the train ride the train was stopped and the car next to ours was searched until someone gave up the camera that they had taken a picture with.  It wasn't allowed to take pictures within East Germany except at designated 'tourist' type areas.  I can attest, most of the east country, and East Berlin outside of the developed 'Tourist' areas, was pretty bleak.  None of the color, poeple, movement, that we are blessed to have in most of the 'Free World'.   I would have loved to have been in Berlin to see the wall come down.  It must have been one hell of a party.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »