I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:14:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Centers
| | |-+  I used to LOVE my center
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I used to LOVE my center  (Read 4633 times)
Hazmat35

« on: May 24, 2016, 07:12:08 AM »

Been doing in-center Hemo for 6 years now.  When I first started; I LOVED my center; the people were great getting me started and helping me over come my fears. 

Well; time goes by; and people come and go; faces change; but the process SHOULD remain the same.  Lately; we've lost some Nurses and Techs to another Clinic that just popped up close by.  It is a Nephrologist; who started his own Dialysis Center...so they made them an offer they couldn't resit. 

But at my Center...the biggest thing that our F.A. yells about is THE BUDGET!  If I had a dime; every time I heard something about his glorious budget; I'd be rich.   He is always standing at the doorway doing a head count on patients; and seeing if there are too many Nurses or Techs on the payroll.  The minute that certain patient leaves...he's on them like white on rice about leaving for the day....you see; if he keeps his payroll down; he gets a bonus.  I'm so glad that he's worried about us! 

The moral in the Techs has gone down; like a rock in water!!!!!  Some of them were so devoted to the patients; they didn't care if they stayed a little extra; even if it was on their own time; but now they can't wait to get out.  I have one Tech that waves an AMA Form in my face; every night (HE OR SHE) closes and wants me to cut my time; so they can go home (I am the last patient of the day; and I generally come off about 6:00 PM). 

We have techs that sit in chairs; all stretched out; watching TV instead of Patient Care.  They hear a "beeping" from the machines; and they just lift their head to see if another Tech that's closer is getting it!!!!  The Nurses bitch because the Techs aren't doing their work; like wiping off the calcium build-ups on the machines; or emptying the trash or even entering the entire Patient information into the machines.  They are afraid to speak to the FA about it. 

I used to love going there; it was such a friendly and happy place to go; even all things considered; but now; everyone seems so on edge and ready to jump down someones throat!

Brother Passed away - 1990 - Liver Disease
Diagnosed w/ Polycystic Kidney Disease - 1998
Mother passed away - Feb. 1999 - PKD
Sister passed away - Feb. 2006 - PKD
AV Fistula / Upper Left Arm - September 2009
Father passed away - September 2009
In-Center Hemo Dialysis - April 2010
Broken Knee Cap - January 2015
Diagnosed w/ A-Fib October 2017
Surgery to repair Hiatal Hernia 2018
Multiple Fistula Grams / Angioplasty's since then!

Hating Dialysis since Day 1 and everyday since then!!!!  :)
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 07:57:54 AM »

O o dear Hazmat35 what a dreadful situation indeed. I can't really 'advise' you what to do, as I'm in the UK, and if those situations happened at my clinic I would complain in writing about it to the FA, and would also try to get into another clinic (probably at the same time cos the possibility of reprisals is international I'm afraid)
Definitely complain about that AMA form waving tech, that's ridiculous and dangerous.

Is it poss to get some fellow D-ers on board?

Love and luck, Cas

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
hatedialysis2

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 08:15:22 AM »

They say when one door closes another one opens.  If I were in Orlando area I would checkout Nxstage dialysis centers, they sound amazing!!   
http://www.nxstagekidneycare.com/locations/south-orlando   
SutureSelf

Hey there!

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 10:06:50 AM »

Been doing in-center Hemo for 6 years now.  When I first started; I LOVED my center; the people were great getting me started and helping me over come my fears. 

Well; time goes by; and people come and go; faces change; but the process SHOULD remain the same.  Lately; we've lost some Nurses and Techs to another Clinic that just popped up close by.  It is a Nephrologist; who started his own Dialysis Center...so they made them an offer they couldn't resit. 

But at my Center...the biggest thing that our F.A. yells about is THE BUDGET!  If I had a dime; every time I heard something about his glorious budget; I'd be rich.   He is always standing at the doorway doing a head count on patients; and seeing if there are too many Nurses or Techs on the payroll.  The minute that certain patient leaves...he's on them like white on rice about leaving for the day....you see; if he keeps his payroll down; he gets a bonus.  I'm so glad that he's worried about us! 

The moral in the Techs has gone down; like a rock in water!!!!!  Some of them were so devoted to the patients; they didn't care if they stayed a little extra; even if it was on their own time; but now they can't wait to get out.  I have one Tech that waves an AMA Form in my face; every night (HE OR SHE) closes and wants me to cut my time; so they can go home (I am the last patient of the day; and I generally come off about 6:00 PM). 

We have techs that sit in chairs; all stretched out; watching TV instead of Patient Care.  They hear a "beeping" from the machines; and they just lift their head to see if another Tech that's closer is getting it!!!!  The Nurses bitch because the Techs aren't doing their work; like wiping off the calcium build-ups on the machines; or emptying the trash or even entering the entire Patient information into the machines.  They are afraid to speak to the FA about it. 

I used to love going there; it was such a friendly and happy place to go; even all things considered; but now; everyone seems so on edge and ready to jump down someones throat!

Things will not get better until the center's patient population drops below a certain level.  Time to quit complaining and either do home hemo or just get the hell out of there completely (and do home hemo).  First,  check out and tour the new clinic.  Meet the FA,charge nurse(s), dietitian and social worker.   Schedule 2 weeks worth of dialysis treatments to get a first hand view of how the clinic operates.  Medicare will pay.  It's like transient dialysis to check out a new clinic before transferring. (You can call Florida ESRD Network 7 if you need confirmation: 800.826.3773.)  Downside, you might have to switch to another nephrologist.  However, since the clinic is new and getting off the ground, it might be willing to give your neph privileges.  ASK. 

Good luck - SutureSelf
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 10:08:08 AM by SutureSelf » Logged

I started in center hemodialysis as a 22 y.o. in 1978.  Cadaver transplant in 1990 and then back to in center hemodialysis in 2004 (nocturnal shift since 2011) after losing my transplant.  Former Associate  Director/Communications Director of the NKF of Georgia, President of the Atlanta Area AAKP Chapter, and consumer representative to ESRD Network 6.  Self-employed since 1993.

Dialysis prescription:
Sun-Tue-Thur - 6 hours per treatment
Dialysate flow (Qd) - 600 
Blood pump speed(Qb) - 315
Fresenius Optiflux200 NR filter - NO REUSE
Fresenius 2008 K2 dialysis machine
3.0 calcium/2.0 potassium bath
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 07:53:59 PM »

Write a letter detailing what you have seen, and what is happening and send it to the manager, director and whoever else is in charge.  They have to answer a written complaint to your satisfaction with 72 hours.  DO not expect huge change but a mention of the behavior seen maybe improve services.. There is a Medicare number for reporting poor care.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2016, 02:41:54 AM »

The center I use today is jointly owned by Fresinius and a local hospital when it opened another smaller dialysis company was the partner. Fresinius bought the partner and is now stuck with the original contract,  staffing levels, staff pay and staff benefits are defined by the union contract the hospital has with its employees.  The newest tech on my shift has been there 14 years, with better benefits, pay, and staffing levels no one ever leaves.  I understand it drives Fresinius nuts but the patients love the place.
Hazmat35

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 12:36:32 PM »

Write a letter detailing what you have seen, and what is happening and send it to the manager, director and whoever else is in charge.  They have to answer a written complaint to your satisfaction with 72 hours.  DO not expect huge change but a mention of the behavior seen maybe improve services.. There is a Medicare number for reporting poor care.

We haven't seen who is in charge of our clinic; in about a week.  They are being transferred to another location; and are still managing this one; until they find a replacement....but you know that they are concentrating more on the NEW unit....!  This place is going to hell in a hand basket....!  It's really sad.  People used to love coming here...but now; it's like all you hear are the Nurses and Techs complaining about EVERYTHING...! 

Brother Passed away - 1990 - Liver Disease
Diagnosed w/ Polycystic Kidney Disease - 1998
Mother passed away - Feb. 1999 - PKD
Sister passed away - Feb. 2006 - PKD
AV Fistula / Upper Left Arm - September 2009
Father passed away - September 2009
In-Center Hemo Dialysis - April 2010
Broken Knee Cap - January 2015
Diagnosed w/ A-Fib October 2017
Surgery to repair Hiatal Hernia 2018
Multiple Fistula Grams / Angioplasty's since then!

Hating Dialysis since Day 1 and everyday since then!!!!  :)
smartcookie

LMSW

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2017, 02:18:58 PM »

It really is not acceptable to only focus on the new clinic.  I definitely would complain in writing to the area manager, regional vice president, ESRD network, CMS, anyone who will listen!  It is unacceptable for any patient to not get the treatment and care they need and if you are not getting what you need, then the other patients are not either.  In this case, standing up for yourself is standing up for the whole clinic. 

I am a renal social worker.  I am happy to help answer questions, but please talk to your clinic social worker for specifics on your particular situation.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »