I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 11:22:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Adhesive residues: the sticky wicked. I need help.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Adhesive residues: the sticky wicked. I need help.  (Read 2910 times)
kickingandscreaming
Elite Member

« on: March 31, 2016, 06:45:40 PM »

I have been using an Island bandage as a dressing for my PD exit site.  It is growing exceedingly difficult to remove it when I need to change the dressing.  I practically lose my skin in the process.  Today I started using wipes that supposedly make it easier to remove the bandage (they work) but they don't even touch all the sticky adhesive residue left from the bandage.  I tried alcohol and this special stuff (that really stinks) but there is still stickiness left.  I can't believe that this wouldn't be a breeding ground for bacteria.

Anyone have any tricks?

Diagnosed with Stage 2 ESRD 2009
Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 07:12:31 PM »

Check with your nurse or doctor first but maybe witch hazel would help. If so, the wrapped pads would probably be safer (cleaner) than dabbing some on a cotton ball.

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2016, 05:38:14 AM »

Adhesive builds up on my PD Cath

hose.  Drives me nuts as it takes a very long time and a lot of effort to remove it using alcohol pads.   I asked my PD Nurse about this just a couple of months ago.  She gave me a handful of prepackaged wipes.   PDI Adhesive Tape Remover Pad   Reorder # 816400

Even with my glasses on I can't be too sure, that 8 could be the letter B   I need my magnifying glass to tell.  Eyes ain't what they once was/were.

Packages marked Made in USA  Professional Disposables International, Inc. Orangeton, NY  800-999-6423
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2016, 07:40:04 AM »

The adhesive type can make all the difference.

I've found 3M paper tape to be the most gentle.  When I was on PD, I made my own island by using gauze and paper tape.

The 3M tape comes in two varieties - "Micropore" and "Microport Plus", with the later having slightly greater adhesion.   I use the Micropore Plus with no skin damage or irritation.
kickingandscreaming
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2016, 09:36:43 AM »

Thank you all for your suggestions. I asked my PD nurse today, and she said alcohol will get rid of the residue.  I haven't had that experience.

Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2016, 10:40:04 AM »

alcohol wipes will work, they take a lot of effort.  The other pads I mentioned above work far better, but still take some doing.

I forgot to mention that my skins is very sensitive to some adhesives.  When that animal wrap stuff first came available I fell in LOVE with it as it only sticks to itself, not the skin.  The only draw back is you have to wrap all the way around the limb.  Not a problem for an arm or leg.  That could be quite a problem for my chest.

The Cover - Roll Stretch tape in the 4 inch roll my Clinic supplies me with for my site bandaging works very well.  I sometimes have a problem in warmer weather.  Somehow, my skin will form a water blister under that tape.  When I remove the dressing of course that blister peels right off leaving a very tender spot that I then have to cover with gauze or the tape will aggravate it even more.  It quickly becomes a problem.  Somehow my PD Nurse came up with the idea to 'paint' my skin with the betadine wipes, let it dry, then apply the Cover - Roll tape.  Works great with no more blistering.  I have no idea why or how it works.  I am very glad that it does.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2016, 11:36:08 AM »

Purell hand sanitizer will remove adhesive from skin fairly gently.  I use it on my dialysis arm to remove tape stuff.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
kickingandscreaming
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2016, 04:22:16 PM »

Purell hand sanitizer will remove adhesive from skin fairly gently.
Hmm.  I'll try that.  I already tried Manugel hand sanitizer and that didn't do much.  Haven't tried Purell yet. Thanks.

Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »