I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 07:23:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  What causes frequent blood clots in the fistula? Lack of training for the techs?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What causes frequent blood clots in the fistula? Lack of training for the techs?  (Read 3556 times)
jo

« on: March 31, 2016, 10:31:30 AM »

My mom has been having frequent blood clots, but only when new techs without proper training try to poke her using the buttonhole technique. If the clot happens, the vascular team has to do a fistulagram and then a angioplasty to get the access working back again. When experience techs poke her, she never has problems with blood clots. We had fought so many times with the clinic asking not to let unexperienced techs play with her access and cause problems. Does frequent poking at the wrong place in the fistula cause blood clots? The vascular team scheduled a procedure on Monday to see what is going on. Please help. Thanks.
SutureSelf

Hey there!

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 12:24:56 PM »

My mom has been having frequent blood clots, but only when new techs without proper training try to poke her using the buttonhole technique. If the clot happens, the vascular team has to do a fistulagram and then a angioplasty to get the access working back again. When experience techs poke her, she never has problems with blood clots. We had fought so many times with the clinic asking not to let unexperienced techs play with her access and cause problems. Does frequent poking at the wrong place in the fistula cause blood clots? The vascular team scheduled a procedure on Monday to see what is going on. Please help. Thanks.

Lynda K. Ball, MSN, RN, CNN - along with Stuart Mott, LPN - are universally accepted as the experts on the buttonhole technique.  According to Ms. Ball, the buttonhole technique does not cause accesses to clot.  Clots form because staff are not using the 2-finger hold technique when removing needles (only holding one site at a time when pulling the needles).  The fistula tunnel then has a complete clot that forms and is very hard to remove.

She also believes best demonstrated practice technique to establish buttonholes requires the same cannulator for the creation process.  That person must show the angle of insertion to others who are going to be inserting a patients needles.  Consistency among the staff is key. 

This is an easy to understand and pretty thorough presentation by Ms. Ball on trouble shooting buttonholes -  http://www.therenalnetwork.org/qi/resources/ButtonholeTroubleshootingComplications1.2013%20.pdf

This link provides good info as well - http://homedialysis.org/documents/pros/ButtonholeCannulation.pdf

I hope this helps. - SutureSelf
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 12:26:31 PM by SutureSelf » Logged

I started in center hemodialysis as a 22 y.o. in 1978.  Cadaver transplant in 1990 and then back to in center hemodialysis in 2004 (nocturnal shift since 2011) after losing my transplant.  Former Associate  Director/Communications Director of the NKF of Georgia, President of the Atlanta Area AAKP Chapter, and consumer representative to ESRD Network 6.  Self-employed since 1993.

Dialysis prescription:
Sun-Tue-Thur - 6 hours per treatment
Dialysate flow (Qd) - 600 
Blood pump speed(Qb) - 315
Fresenius Optiflux200 NR filter - NO REUSE
Fresenius 2008 K2 dialysis machine
3.0 calcium/2.0 potassium bath
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 12:29:38 PM »

This is an easy to understand and pretty thorough presentation by Ms. Ball on trouble shooting buttonholes -  http://www.therenalnetwork.org/qi/resources/ButtonholeTroubleshootingComplications1.2013%20.pdf
Nice photos of inside the buttonhole site!

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
jo

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 01:06:30 PM »

Thanks SutureSelf.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »