I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 02:02:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Prograf toxicity? How high is too high and for how long?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Prograf toxicity? How high is too high and for how long?  (Read 5917 times)
DialysisGoneFOREVER

« on: March 28, 2016, 05:14:47 PM »

I got my living donor transplant 11 days ago!  :bandance;  :yahoo; :2thumbsup; :clap;

You guys know how long your prograf level needs to be high before damage is done? How high is too high?  My level came back at 16 and it was that high for 4 to 5 days. Of course they lowered my dose.

Thanks so much for all your help!!   :waving;
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 12:04:14 AM by FailingTransplantHELP » Logged
Deanne
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 07:26:23 AM »

A toxic value is over 25, according to the data that comes with my regular lab reports. If you'd had a heart transplant, your goal would be 10 - 20 for three months.

My neph suspected prograf toxicity for me for a while and my level was low. Some people just can't use it, I guess. She thought so because of neurological symptoms I was having, but in the end, the symptoms gradually went away after my issues with hypercalcemia were fixed. My point is to watch for symptoms maybe more than the actual number when you thing toxicity might be a problem.

Congratulations on your transplant! Are you doing well?

Deanne

1972: Diagnosed with "chronic kidney disease" (no specific diagnosis)
1994: Diagnosed with FSGS
September 2011: On transplant list with 15 - 20% function
September 2013: ~7% function. Started PD dialysis
February 11, 2014: Transplant from deceased donor. Creatinine 0.57 on 2/13/2014
DialysisGoneFOREVER

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 10:32:00 AM »

Thanks Deanne!!  I was reading toxicity can be a very individual thing depending on the patient. It probably true a level is 25 is toxic for most patients but for others it could be a lot lower.

What are the major symptoms of prograf toxicity please? I'm sure there are symptoms that have nothing to do with the kidney too
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 12:34:41 PM »

I believe that in the first year or so post renal tx, most centers want your tac trough at around 8-10, and as time goes on, they will want to see it between 5 and 7.  That's how it was for me, but things may be different for you.

Remember, this is a measurement of your tac trough, ie, the minimum.  One month I accidentally took my tac BEFORE my blood draw, and my lab came back with a reading of 45!  So, that meant that on a single day, one could reasonably assume that my tac level went from 45 to 5, then back up to 45, back down to 5 and so on and so on.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
DialysisGoneFOREVER

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 02:16:19 PM »

WOW!! For how many days was your Prograf level at 45?? Did it permanently damage your kidney?
Deanne
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 03:22:51 PM »

I had a lot of neurological symptoms due to hypercalcemia. A month or so after surgery to remove three of my parathyroids, my neph was worried because my tremors were so bad that it was difficult to even talk.

Do a web search for prograf toxicity though and you'll see the others.

Deanne

1972: Diagnosed with "chronic kidney disease" (no specific diagnosis)
1994: Diagnosed with FSGS
September 2011: On transplant list with 15 - 20% function
September 2013: ~7% function. Started PD dialysis
February 11, 2014: Transplant from deceased donor. Creatinine 0.57 on 2/13/2014
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2016, 08:18:59 AM »

WOW!! For how many days was your Prograf level at 45?? Did it permanently damage your kidney?

Well, every day.  My point is that right after you take your dose (or at least within 30 minutes), your tac level will be greatly elevated but will decrease during the next 12 hours, after which it should ideally be in the range set by your tx center.  Then you take your next dose 12 hours later, and within 30 minutes your tac will be elevated and will then decrease to that ideal range, and then it goes on and on after that.

This is why tac toxicity can be a problem.  Everyone focuses on the tac TROUGH (the minimal amount of the drug in your blood 12 hours after your dose) because they want to make sure there is enough in your blood to stave off rejection.  But no one seems to measure the amount in your blood just AFTER you've taken it.  I found out by accident because I'd made a silly mistake.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
DialysisGoneFOREVER

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2016, 01:33:24 AM »

You know if Astragraf is any better? I'm hoping it might be because it is once a day and timed released unlike Prograf. I've been on that for 2 weeks since I got the transplant and I've been doing well on it.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2016, 08:42:27 AM »

I don't know anything, really, about extended release tacrolimus.  I've read a few brief publications about the results of conversions from twice a day dosage to the extended release dose, the conclusions being that they 'seemed safe", but since you seem to have been started on the Astagraf from the beginning, you have an advantage.  Sorry, I really don't know, but I may ask my tx neph about it the next time I see her.  I wish our tx teams would inform us better about new treatments that are coming on the market.  But I guess they feel that if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »