I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:21:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Diet and Recipes
| | |-+  Starfruit + Dialysis May Equal Death
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Starfruit + Dialysis May Equal Death  (Read 9646 times)
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« on: March 09, 2016, 08:30:53 AM »

I came very close to making a fruit salad last week and while at the store actually had a Starfruit in my hand.  Thankfully the store did not have the other fresh fruit I was looking for so I put it back.

A couple of days later I learned how close I came to killing myself.   I learned Starfruit contains toxins that will build up in our damaged kidney and can cause death.

There is another thread here that discusses this titled  "What to avoid"

http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=1216.0

I asked my Nutritionist at my Clinic about this and she gave me a copy of the poster that she had recently place on the bulletin board. (attached)

She also told me of a few of our Clinic's patients that had taken a cruise to the Caribbean and eaten from the fresh fruit buffet.  Turns out Starfruit is very commonly served in those areas of the world yet not too common in our grocery stores.  Thankfully these patients survived with immediate LONG duration sessions of hemo dialysis, which is the ONLY possible treatment.  There has been many fatalities even with dialysis, there is no guarantee of survival.

Stay aware of all that you eat and drink.

Take Care,

Charlie B53

Edited: Stickied thread- kitkatz,Admin
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 04:33:30 PM by kitkatz » Logged
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 11:33:46 AM »

If it don't kill you it could give you the worst hic cups. The toxins are quickly removed by a functioning kidney, it could kill you if you survive it seems the hic cups start two long dialysis sessions are needed to cure the hic cups. I read about this first on this site.  Looked it up on line and it scared the spit out of me.  More the starting dialysis it took reading about this fruit and its effect to bring home how profound was the effect on my life.  By the way some places serve it as juice.
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 02:13:16 PM »

Right, the poster mentions near the bottom, as little as 8 ounces of juice can be bad.

I'm still curious how it tastes.  But I may have to just forget about it.
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2016, 01:50:03 AM »

For Dialysis patients Starfruit is the Forbidden Fruit.  But seriously I wish someone would have told me about this instead of finding out about it on the web.
Vt Big Rig

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2016, 04:50:43 AM »

For Dialysis patients Starfruit is the Forbidden Fruit.  But seriously I wish someone would have told me about this instead of finding out about it on the web.

Never had it before, never heard of it ..... but YOU ARE CORRECT ..... I wish someone had told me about it. >:(

VT Big Rig
Diagnosed - October 2012
Started with NxStage - April 2015
6 Fistula grams in 5 months,  New upper fistula Oct 2015, But now old one working fine, until August 2016 and it stopped, tried an angio, still no good
Started on new fistula .
God Bless my wife and care partner for her help
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2016, 05:59:45 AM »

Good reminder.  I still wish my nephrologist had warned me pre-dialysis days since he knows a travel a ton, but here in the US that fruit is not high on people's radar.

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2016, 12:18:34 PM »

Another thread had mentioned the focus of most medical is treatment, not education. Although my Nutritionist is very helpful I still have to learn more from every source I may find.

This starfruit info I found here at IHD in an old thread.  From there I started looking elsewhere.

Can't help but wonder what else we do not know that may create serious issues.
Athena

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2016, 04:55:18 AM »

Same here - wish they would tell us about these things instead of my having to find it on the internet!! I believe starfruit is as equally dangerous for pre-dialysis CKD patients who are trying hard to preserve their kidney function. That fruit may just pack it all in if enough of it was consumed.

What's the story behind getting hiccups btw? I now seem to get hiccups quite easily when I eat starchy foods like bread and french fries. Is this a digestion issue popping up or something to do with my kidneys?

Find Cure for CKD now! Please like my facebook page of the same name. Thank you.
kickingandscreaming
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2016, 06:32:54 AM »

In my clinic it is posted on every wall.  DO NOT EAT STARFRUI!  (aka Carambola)

Diagnosed with Stage 2 ESRD 2009
Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2016, 08:41:55 AM »

I generally get excellent care from my clinic, but I have never been warned about starfruit.
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2016, 08:57:18 AM »

Star fruit contains neuro toxins,  fully functional kidneys remove these toxin effect nerve tissue.  These particular ones impact the diaphragm causing contractions that are hiccups.  The hiccups are more likely then death but why take a chance.  Russian roulette with my food is a thing I want to avoid.
jmintuck

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2016, 07:09:40 PM »

Same here - wish they would tell us about these things instead of my having to find it on the internet!! I believe starfruit is as equally dangerous for pre-dialysis CKD patients who are trying hard to preserve their kidney function. That fruit may just

pack it all in

if enough of it was consumed.

What's the story behind getting hiccups btw? I now seem to get hiccups quite easily when I eat starchy foods like bread and french fries. Is this a digestion issue popping up or something to do with my kidneys?

IDK, i was reading this as I was becoming ready to "pack it in" for bed. The pack it all in comment just hit me so funny that I was in tears from laughter. Though it ISN'T a funny thing, it may easily hold true that Starfruit might do it in. This is SO important to know that it is UNBELIEVABLE that other people might not know this.I know my kidneys could very well say "Let's pack it in for now" at any time as they are very slow at 5-7 percent function AFAIK.

I am petrifie to find out how many kidney patients do NOT know about this potentially fatal fact. Fortunately, for me, I learned about it as soon as a dietitian handed me a paper containing the What to Avoids and Eat Instead sheet. I spied Starfruit on it and to just say no more if it ever could be done.

Google is your friend, guys. Make "bed partners" with Google if you will. This is what you HAVE to do to remain proactive about phosphorus and MY biggest Achille's Heel, Potassium. Sodium is not too watched too much, but I want to ask, anyhow as it is really an important component that should be carefully eyed. The more proactive you are, so much better for you, and you should less often run into insane issues, such as poisonous fruit, high Potassium and/or phosphorus issues and the like.
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2016, 08:38:02 PM »

Many of us also have blood pressure issues.  High pressure is one of the leading causes of kidney damage as well.  I have already had heart by-pass surgery so the Dr's are quite adamant about avoiding salt as it causes us to retain even more water, driving up our blood pressures.
jmintuck

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2016, 08:51:16 PM »

Right, the poster mentions near the bottom, as little as 8 ounces of juice can be bad.

I'm still curious how it tastes.  But I may have to just forget about it.

You may very well be way further ahead of the pack to forget this one. Like, as in "say it never even was created on this Earth". so to speak.
jmintuck

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2016, 01:16:22 AM »

I even warned a guy about carambola, or starfruit at Dialysis tonight. He didn't know. How the Hell could I have found out at the get-go and he never heard of this until I told him?
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2016, 08:18:47 AM »

Dietician told me a number of renal patients and many not yet renal patients have had problems when taking a cruise.  Those areas may have starfruit included in fruit salad at the buffet.  Those not yet patients can easiy sicken not knowing they are poisoning themselves.   One of the first signs is hiccups that won't quit.  Emergency long duration dialysis is the current treatment.
jmintuck

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2016, 09:00:18 PM »

I was more angry at the professionals for not laying down the incarnate ground rule, NO CARAMBOLA(Starfruit) to him, not likely, EVER! I didn't blame him any, because several people could well overlook that particular nasty item

in the lists handed to us. I was just mad the professionals didn't come right out and SAY it with a full description of what happens when consumed. I was never so mad for several weeks.
trenton6013

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2017, 11:29:19 AM »

sometimes it just gets confusing as to what is forbidden and allowed.  Some dieticians tell me that wheat isn't allowed yet some white plain flour has wheat in it or some recipes on davita.com say you can use whole wheat or low salt stewed tomatoes.  I've been avoiding stewed tomatoes and using tomatillos.  I've been eliminating diced red potatoes until my potassium numbers are within normal.  Currently trying to get my phosphorous levels within normal since they're at level 10!!
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2017, 12:41:37 PM »

Is it a bad death?  I may buy a can.    ???

Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2017, 06:58:56 PM »

Oh Rerun,  I hope this is something like my sick twisted sense of humor and that you are merely making a morbid joke.

Depression is always a concern when things take a sad turn.  But there is always a way to succeed i life.  How?  That isn't always so obviuous, but there is.  There are many that are visually impaired that still have fully functional lives.  Adapting takes time and effort.  You have proven you got the stuff, the determination, so don't fail me now.

You got my #.  I'm always available.

Wife is going through this very same thing right now.  Just picked up the prescription for a 'Happy Pill' today.  I am Praying that it helps her.

Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2017, 07:39:04 PM »

Yeah Charlie.  I just think about death a lot and dialysis and what is the point sometimes.  Starfruit is just a thought.

Sorry to mess with you.    :cuddle; 

Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2017, 11:09:41 PM »

Is it a bad death?  I may buy a can.    ???
I do not want to go out hiccuping.
LorinnPKD

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2017, 01:36:08 PM »

That would look great on a tombstone, though: "SHE WENT OUT HICCUPING."

I don't see starfruit too much here in the central US, but I did find it on a can of frozen fruit punch I was looking to buy.  It was one of the main ingredients!  So watch out if you're buying certain fruit punch drinks!
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2017, 04:45:50 PM »

The day I almost made that mistake it was in our local Kroger Grocery store, in the Fruits and Vegetable section.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »