I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 05:31:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Total Insanity is..........
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Total Insanity is..........  (Read 5308 times)
talker

Talkers oil painting

« on: February 26, 2016, 10:58:09 AM »

Have read that it is total insanity to have 'kept doing the same thing over and over, while expecting a different result'.

Have long been aware/found out, that when one seeks answers to any of life's problems from various professionals, that 'what you are seeking', may be 'no where to be found'.

Doesn't mean that there are no answers, just that you need to keep digging until you arrive at a solution that appears to be the 'right feeling tone' in ones gut.
(feeling tones are explained on my blog)

So do I use herbs, You betcha I do. :sir ken;
What works for me, may prove disastrous for another.
Yes, I am told that using herbs like these can cause problems!
Sheesh give me a break. Ha.
No longer get those 'don't use' arguments, as my overall 'monthly report card' given to me each month, reflect 'good' averages.
Yes, when available I buy Organic.
Have deliberately stopped the daily use of my herbs, to see what , if any, effects would show up.
What did show up , took two weeks and in a crazy fashion. One day I noticed my ass was dragging from loss of energy. Strange, I normally go through a day with energy to spare, what's happening. Review protocols used.  Oh Oh, not what's being used, it is 'What's NOT being used'.
Takes about two weeks, to bring back that 'glad to be alive' feeling tone.

(From on-line sources/my books/saved to my computer)
---------------------------------
(Was for awhile able to buy this ready made. When it became unavailable to purchase, I started making my own.)
Why even pay attention to the adrenals, because of this tie-in:
In addition to helping you handle stress, these two primary adrenal hormones, adrenaline and cortisol, along with others similarly produced, help control body fluid balance, blood pressure, blood sugar, and other central metabolic functions.
Adrenal insufficiency symptoms include: weakness, lack of libido, allergies, dark circles under the eyes, muscle and joint pain, dizziness, low blood pressure, low blood sugar, food and salt cravings, poor sleep, dry skin, cystic breasts, lines of dark pigment in nails, difficulty recuperating from stresses like colds or jet lag, no stamina for confrontation, tendency to startle easily, lowered immune function, anxiety, depression, and premature aging. Some of these symptoms are similar to those of low thyroid.
(did rack up six of the listed Adrenal symptoms)

Ashwagandha Root
Schisandra Berry
Rhodiola Rosea Root
Eleuthero Root 
Holy Basil Leaf 
Suma Root

Six Herbs for Stress and Mood Swings

For centuries, herbs have been the cornerstone of good health.  Many cultures have successfully used herbs as treatment for all types of medical issues. 
Unlike western society that relies on powerful mind-altering drugs to help with severe mood swings and depression, other cultures have often looked to the
natural world for stress relief.

The Fabulous Six Herbs for Stress Relief

1. Ashwagandha

One of the most powerful herbs in Ayurvedic medicine, ashwagandha has been used since ancient times to treat a wide variety of conditions.  It is most
well-known for its restorative benefits. 

Ashwagandha contains many potent medicinal compounds in the leaves and roots like:
  Steroidal lactones – improve the power supply of nerve cells
  Alkaloids – act quickly on the nervous system and can have a safe natural
  sedative effect
  Choline - from the B vitamin family it has been shown to lower cholesterol and
  stave off cognitive decline by boosting brain function
  Fatty acids – omega-3 and omega-6 are critical to proper development and
  functioning of the brain and nervous system
  Amino acids – the building blocks of protein they play a crucial role in the
  development and maintenance of a healthy nervous system, immunity and brain
  function
  Healthy sugars – for energy

2. Rhodiola rosea

It has long been used as a treatment for fatigue and western
medicine is prompting scientists to examine its health benefits more closely.

Rhodiola rosea has been showing great promise by decreasing the harmful effects of chronic, long-term stress on the body.  It helps bring balance back to the
sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous systems of the body.

In the modern world, we are often under constant pressure and stressed throughout the day.   This leads to feeling edgy, tired and depressed. Rhodiola
rosea seems to be able to help the body re-establish balance by influencing the brain chemicals serotonin (the “happy” hormone) norepinephrine (the adrenaline
hormone) and feel good opioids called beta-endorphins.

In a Columbia University publication, rhodiola’s remarkable effect on the  nervous system was described as “emotional calming.”  Dr. Richard Brown stated
that rhodiola “enhanced the healing properties of one’s own nervous system”

The health benefits of rhodiola rosea don’t stop there. Numerous studies have  found it to:
  Improve cognitive and memory function
  Increase mental and physical resistance to stress due to fatigue
  Reduce levels of C-reactive protein, and inflammatory marker that results from
  muscle damage due to physical exertion
  Enhance sleep
  Lessen depression symptoms
  Keep blood sugar stable

3. Elueuthero

Elueuthero belongs to an amazing class of plants known as adaptogens. They are known for helping the body to adapt to environmental changes and reduce the
effects of stress on the body.   Other health benefits include:
  Stronger memory and clearer thinking under stress
  Sustained energy without the side effects of stimulants like caffeine that
  cause the jitters
  Increased tolerance to heat, noise, strenuous exercise
  Increased sexual vigor
  Sleep aid

Elueuthero’s effectiveness at reducing stress is believed to come from the compounds it contains called eleuetherosides. These enhance the immune system by
helping T-cells engulf harmful microorganisms, damaged cells and foreign particles in the body. It also promotes the formation of protective B
lymphocytes that are critical to a strong immune system.

4. Holy basil

Holy basil is known to be a powerful antioxidant with antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties as well. Modern science has been taking a closer
look at this remarkable herb due to its great potential in relieving stress and promoting relaxation.

Like Eleuethero, holy basil functions as an adaptogen to enhance the body’s natural response to physical and emotional stress.  It seems to be able to
influence the secretion of stress hormones, corticosterone in particular.  A rush of cortisol is good when an actual predator confronts you.  However, work,
traffic, and many other things keep us saturated with the stress hormone, and it wreaks havoc on the body.

Holy basil’s concentration of eugenol and caryophyllene release a pleasing and soothing aroma that has been shown to elevate mood.  Eugenol also has shown to
enhance mental clarity, something that can suffer during periods of prolonged stress.

5. Suma root

Suma root has been used for hundreds of years in South America to increase physical strength, boost energy levels, stamina and the immune system. It
contains two anabolic agents, allantoin and ecdysterone, which have been linked to muscle growth and enhanced endurance.

It also is an herb for stress release known as an adaptogen.  Packed with germanium, a potent immune booster and saponins, which have shown to improve
immune function and lower cholesterol, suma root also has many important vitamins, minerals and amino acids.

A compound called beta-ecdysterone is also found in the herb and is showing  great potential to treat sexual dysfunctions like impotency.  This is most
 likely due to its ability to provide more oxygen to cells. This has the added  benefit of improving circulation to all areas of the body including the brain,
 which improves memory and sharpens mental clarity.

Suma root is an effective herb to combat stress due to its ability to affect the adrenal glands, which produce adrenaline and corticosteroid hormones, the ones
that are responsible for our “flight or fight” response.  Suma root is effective at balancing these hormones in the body, which is important because constant
long-term exposure to them causes many health problems.

6. SCHISANDRA

Schisandra is a plant. The fruit is used as food and also to make medicine.

Schisandra is used as an “adaptogen” for increasing resistance to disease and stress, increasing energy, and increasing physical performance and endurance.

Schisandra is also used for preventing early aging and increasing lifespan; normalizing blood sugar and blood pressure; and stimulating the immune system and speeding recovery after surgery.

It is also used for treating liver disease (hepatitis) and protecting the liver from poisons. The Chinese have developed a liver-protecting drug called DBD that is made from schisandrin, one of the chemicals in schisandra.

Other uses for schisandra include treatment of high cholesterol, coughs, asthma, sleep problems (insomnia), nerve pain, premenstrual syndrome (PMS), chronic diarrhea, dysentery, night sweats, spontaneous sweating, involuntary discharge of semen, thirst, erectile dysfunction (ED), physical exhaustion, excessive urination, depression, irritability, and memory loss.

Some people use schisandra for improving vision, protecting against radiation, preventing motion sickness, preventing infection, boosting energy at the cellular level, counteracting the effects of sugar, and improving the health of the adrenal glands.

How does it work?

The chemicals in schisandra improve liver function by stimulating enzymes (proteins that speed up biochemical reactions) in the liver and promoting liver cell growth.

Using herbs for stress relief has proven effective for thousands of years in  many cultures.  Finding natural ways to reduce stress are preferable to taking
powerful prescription drugs with harmful side effects.  Taking these Six herbs to reduced stress and balance out mood swings is a safe natural way to combat
the stressors of daily life without dangerous side effects.

------------------------------
For stage 5 kidney disease patients, the following are several beneficial and natural herbs

Rhubarb:  More than 20 kinds of anthraquinones have been identified and have therapeutic effects on a low protein (.6g/kg) and low-phosphorus (10mg/kg) diet.  A progression rate of renal failure was reduced markedly in both rhubarb and rhubarb plus Captopril group. Rhubarb may prevent progression of CRF (Chronic Renal Failure) by unique and multiple effects on metabolism of renal tubular and mesangial cells.   
Astragalus plus Angelica, Ligusticum, Triptolive and rhubarb show slowing progressive renal disease and include anti-inflammation and inhibition of TFG over-production.

Astragalus and a mixture of Astragalus plus Angelica, Ligusticum, Triptolide and Rhubarb have a beneficial role in slowing the progression of CKD.  This effect is multi-functional and multi-targeted, and is often associated with reduction in proteinuria and the amelioration of dyslipidaemia, but not with changes in systemic blood pressure.  These mechanisms include anti-inflammation and inhibition of TFG-b overproduction. Astragalus had no adverse affects as high as 100g/kg of raw herb.

Angelica and astragalus root

The 2 herbs are commonly used in TCM (traditional Chinese medicines). Kidney failure causes reduced blood flow to the kidneys, resulting in renal ischemia and hypoxia and in the end renal scarring and renal fibrosis. Angelica and astragalus root can help protect renal tissues from being damaged due to lack of blood, oxygen and nutrition supply. It can also help promote the recovery of renal tissues and renal functions. But side effects have been reported after taking angelica and astragalus, therefor a professional practitioner of herbal medicines should be consulted before beginning any herbal remedies for both the effectiveness and safety.

Burdock root

It is a natural herb that is used in both western and eastern medicines. It is effective at relieving swellings in the legs, feet and ankles. Kidney disease patients often have swelling due to fluid retention because the kidneys can not effectively remove excess water from the body. Swelling can even cause pulmonary edema or even heart failure, therefore patients should seek proper treatment in the early stage of swelling.

Besides, burdock root can help cleanse the blood stream, remove accumulation of metabolic wastes and toxins from the blood so as to help relieve many symptoms and discomforts due to uremic state.

http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=17469.msg502002;topicseen#msg502002

http://www.thetalker.org/archives/1515/talker-on-more-herbal-mix-tonic/

http://www.thetalker.org/archives/307/38-talker-on-whole-body-herb-tonic/

Be Well

"Wabi-sabi nurtures the authentic by acknowledging three simple realities: nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect."

Don't ever give up hope, expect a miracle, pray as if you were going to die the next moment in time, but live life as if you were going to live forever."

A wise man once said, "Yesterday's the past, tomorrow's the future, but today is a gift. That's why it's called the present."
hatedialysis2

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 03:25:15 PM »

THANK YOU for sharing your success with natural herbs.   You wrote in detail about some of the most powerful herbs out there!    Burdock for instance increases detoxification thru the skin, the largest organ in our bodies, and often referred to as the second kidney!   Most folks with kidney disease are warned not to do or take anything by their doctors.   I remember starting a formula called kidney well II and kidney tonic by Fuma Natural  when I was in stage 4.   My creatinine dropped from 6.5 to 6 in 3 weeks.   My nephrologist advised me against taking the herbs, which totally defied logic to me.   I wish I had stayed on it, but it did eventually become cost prohibative.   
talker

Talkers oil painting

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 04:10:47 PM »

THANK YOU for sharing your success with natural herbs.   You wrote in detail about some of the most powerful herbs out there!    Burdock for instance increases detoxification thru the skin, the largest organ in our bodies, and often referred to as the second kidney!   Most folks with kidney disease are warned not to do or take anything by their doctors.   I remember starting a formula called kidney well II and kidney tonic by Fuma Natural  when I was in stage 4.   My creatinine dropped from 6.5 to 6 in 3 weeks.   My nephrologist advised me against taking the herbs, which totally defied logic to me.   I wish I had stayed on it, but it did eventually become cost prohibative.   
My  post was getting long and I do at times get into my Talker mode.
So I wrapped it all up and stopped.
HA.
Did not even get to where Diabetics can use it , (with care of course) due to some special properties:

Burdock helps to stabilize blood sugar by reducing the amount of sugar picked up in the intestines.
The inulin contained in the roots "exerts a beneficial effect on normalizing blood sugar levels".
Believe that it was / is the glucose being converted to sucrose in the intestines, resulting in a 'slow' release into ones blood, instead of 'spiking'.

Back to the journey.

Be Well

"Wabi-sabi nurtures the authentic by acknowledging three simple realities: nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect."

Don't ever give up hope, expect a miracle, pray as if you were going to die the next moment in time, but live life as if you were going to live forever."

A wise man once said, "Yesterday's the past, tomorrow's the future, but today is a gift. That's why it's called the present."
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2016, 07:26:29 PM »

I am a firm believer in 'All things in moderation.'

And that 'All plants are here for the use of mankind.'

My problem is mankind has forgotten how to use those plants.  And does not grow them.  Making the cost a problem for those that need them the most.

Big medicine absolutely refuses to produce these plant based wonders, and tries to hid much information as to the benefit of their use.
hatedialysis2

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2016, 08:59:11 AM »

Herbs are balanced and when taken for a specific remedy will also have a beneficial systemic effect.   Pharmaceuticals on the other hand suppress symptoms and create harmful systemic effects.  I get a kick out of the term used in allopathic medicine "the benefits out way the risk". Even when the risk is death, organ failure, .......etc.   
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2016, 06:03:17 PM »

The one thing that I know for sure, is that I have yet a LOT to learn.
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2016, 12:46:32 PM »

And so do I after losing my own kidneys 33 years ago when I was 18 there was 1 naturopath/homeopath in the city. I only got to visit him when I was on a weekend break from the hosp. He said with the chemo and steroids he couldn't do much for me. Too late.
But Golden Wort (Solidago) kept my failing transplant going for years, and having only just started Microbiota (pre and pro biotics) it has stopped (STOPPED) my chronic diarea. I actually felt good after 1 weeks use. The learning just never stops. Isn't that great?

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
talker

Talkers oil painting

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2016, 02:18:16 PM »

And so do I after losing my own kidneys 33 years ago when I was 18 there was 1 naturopath/homeopath in the city. I only got to visit him when I was on a weekend break from the hosp. He said with the chemo and steroids he couldn't do much for me. Too late.
But Golden Wort (Solidago) kept my failing transplant going for years, and having only just started Microbiota (pre and pro biotics) it has stopped (STOPPED) my chronic diarea. I actually felt good after 1 weeks use. The learning just never stops. Isn't that great?
While I know of it , have not actually used it.
Will give it a try once I get to placing an herb order.
Were I to make some thing using it ( Golden Wort (Solidago ), it would be a tincture or encapsulated.
To make a goldenrod tincture: Chop the goldenrod coarsely, filling a jar with chopped flowers, leaves, stalks (and roots if you have them); then add 100 proof vodka, filling the jar to the very top. Cap tightly and label. Your goldenrod tincture will be ready to use in six weeks, by the dropperful, as an anti-inflammatory, a sweat-inducing cold cure, and an astringent digestive aid. Medical herbalists use large doses (up to 4 dropperfuls at a time) of goldenrod tincture several times daily to treat kidney problems -- including nephritis, hemorrhage, kidney stones, and inability to void -- and prostate problems, including frequent urination.

Be Well

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2016, 04:48:45 PM »

Consult your doctor before trying any herbal supplements or vitamins.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
hatedialysis2

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2016, 06:30:50 PM »

Unfortunately doctors are not familiar with herbs or supplements and the don't want to either.  They have to stay within protocol or they can loose their license,  you can find  physicians who are familiar with holistic medicine but you have to look for them.   
talker

Talkers oil painting

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2016, 07:28:21 PM »

Consult your doctor before trying any herbal supplements or vitamins.
Unfortunately doctors are not familiar with herbs or supplements and the don't want to either.  They have to stay within protocol or they can loose their license,  you can find  physicians who are familiar with holistic medicine but you have to look for them.   
Is as I call it a conundrum.
Yes, is important to check with your physician. Most will say 'not good for you'. What to do?
Yes, some herbs will / can  cause a reaction to many medications. What to do?
Yes, some holistic medicine physician's have 'sold' out and cannot be trusted for solid advice. What to do?
Is why I call it a conundrum. I offer only my viewpoints here.
Yes, I was faced with those conundrum's .

Not everyone is able to proceed as I did. I respect that.
Physician's endeavor to keep their patients alive. Why?  Dead patients are not a source of income.
Healed patients are also, not a source of income.
Are all physician's financially motivated.
Come on give me a break, we all were at some point of our careers 'financially motivated'.
There are good physician's out there, just that ones insurance may not have them listed.
Some good physician's we couldn't afford even if we found one.
Mostly you have a ten (10) minute slot nowadays with any physician, regardless of your condition.
Am I 'down' on physician's, no not at all, just facing the reality of it overall.

Did recently need to know certain numbers regards my total health picture.
Yes doctor, I know these are not the usual type tests requested.
Yes, doctor, I know you are anxious to get me to conclude our visit.
No doctor, until all my questions are at least addressed to some degree, I am not concluding this visit.
So, was the way it went.
Suffice to say, I mostly got everything I was looking for.
The 'mostly' mentioned above was regards my question of 'how soon can you get me safely off dialysis'.
Thought the doc was going to have a heart attack.

Ah me, back to the drawing board and protocols evaluation.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 07:30:03 PM by talker » Logged

Be Well

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »