I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 04:12:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Freezing organs for later transplantation
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Freezing organs for later transplantation  (Read 2223 times)
MooseMom
Member for Life

« on: February 08, 2016, 10:46:09 AM »

An article in the most recent edition of The Economist outlines research currently being done in how to safely freeze transplantable organs, thus increasing the number of organs available.  The North American wood frog will freeze solid several times in any given winter, and this is possible because the water in its body is replaced by glucose stored in the liver, which stops ice forming in their tissues.  When temps rise, the frogs thaw and go about their frog business.

Water expands when it freezes, so it follows that when the water in our bodies freeze, it expands and causes damage.  So the research is focused on how to make us like wood frogs.  Apparently when they freeze, their insides turn to glass, not ice.  Glasses are technically liquids, and when a glass cools, it doesn't form the crystals that cause damage.

Anyway, the article is fairly long and detailed; I wish I could provide a link, but the article is available only to subscribers.  But I can say that some of the researchers involved in following different theories and experiments are Mehmet Tonor of Harvard Medical School,   John Bischof of the University of Minnesota (his research focuses on safely warming back up these tissues), and other scientists whose work is followed by The Organ Preservation Alliance (OPA), which was formed in 2014.  They have lobbied the US Defense Department to seed 7 teams with money to research cryopreservation.  The NIH is getting involved along with venture capitalists and the XPRISE Foundation.

Wouldn't it be great if in the not too distant future, organs could be safely frozen, stored and categorized, and then safely thawed when a recipient needs one?

Please, if you can go out and buy the 6th Feb edition of The Economist, please do so just so you can read the article.  It filled me with hope.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 02:01:42 PM »

There was an article recently about how we are starting to learn dead frozen people can be revived. Might be the same with organs.
This year
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/frozen-man-revived-brink-death-found-snow-pulse/story?id=36380318

http://www.nytimes.com/1981/01/03/us/dakota-teen-ager-recovers-after-being-frozen-stiff.html

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 11:42:30 PM »

Maybe Zombies could just sign up as an organ donors........

:waiting;

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »