I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 01:24:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  ferrlecit 125 mg
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: ferrlecit 125 mg  (Read 2713 times)
del
Elite Member

del and willowtreewren meet

« on: January 28, 2016, 02:11:33 PM »

Does anybody take (or took) ferrlecit 125 IV iron?  Hubby just took his second infusion today and we think the way he has been feeling the past week is a side effect to it.  Before he started this drug he was having symptoms of low iron -tiredness etc.  but he has been MUCH worse since.  He cannot stay awake at all, he feels miserable and has pain in his shoulders and ribs.  It is to the point where he cannot drive anywhere or do any type of activity. He sleeps for about 20 hours a day.  I googled on line (after today's infusion GRRR) and found the symptoms he has are side effects of the drug.  We questioned it last week and they told us any reaction would happen immediately.  For an allergic reaction yes but side effects are different!!

Just wondering if anybody else has taken it and how it affected them.

Don't take your organs to heaven.  Heaven knows we need them here.
hatedialysis2

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 04:34:14 PM »

I'm so sorry to hear.  Did you try calling the manufacturer to ask them about these side effects.  Was the dose too high for him or is he just reacting to  That perticular iron?  Can a hematologist be consulted?  These sound like serious side effects and I would personally refuse to take another dose until I find out what's happening and why.   Best wishes for his speedy recovery.  Please share your findings when things settle and all is well again.
del
Elite Member

del and willowtreewren meet

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 05:50:29 PM »

No more infusions of this until we find out what is going on.  He does have a sinus infection as well.  Not sure if it is all related or just coincidence.

Don't take your organs to heaven.  Heaven knows we need them here.
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2016, 08:19:54 AM »

I know when I have a sinus infection it really has serious debilitating effects.  Not just the usual tired cranky head feels like its about to burst, and I stay in bed far more than usual as I am just exhausted.  Right now I'm suffering from an ear infection.  A week so far and doesn't seem to be getting any better using the ear drops they gave me.  No fun.

Definitely find out if he can be seen by an ENT and get aggressive treating his sinus infection.

I take iron tablet daily and most every other month I end up getting an iron IV.  This usually helps reduce my chronic exhaustion.  I don't remember exactly which one it is they use.  It is almost like ink in the little vials.  Nurse puts a small shot directly into the IV to watch for any reaction, usually none.  After 10 minutes she adds three or four of those little bottles to the IV bag and leaves me to read my book.

Seems to wake me up so I don't feel so tired during the hour drive home.

Take Care,

Charlie B53
hatedialysis2

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 04:31:40 PM »

Hi Del, how is your hubby doing?  Were you able to find out what caused his reaction?   My iron has been running low, I take an oral iron supplement not given by the center.   It's been working well up until last summer when I was hospitalized for a week for unknown fever.  Since then I've been battling to get my ferritin levels above 200.  My center keeps recommending IV iron and I believe it is ferroecit.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 04:46:45 PM »

Unfortunately Del's husband has passed away this week.

kitkatz-Admin

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
hatedialysis2

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2016, 07:01:45 PM »

Oh my gosh!  I am so sorry to hear.   My heart felt condolences to Del and family.  I will keep them in my prayers.
Thank you Kitkatz for responding
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »