I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 11:52:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis
| | |-+  Anyone familiar with Immobile-- PD catheter securement?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Anyone familiar with Immobile-- PD catheter securement?  (Read 4410 times)
kickingandscreaming
Elite Member

« on: January 15, 2016, 08:02:20 AM »

I just got my first order of PD supplies from Baxter.  Yikes!!!  Now I have to quickly build an addition to my house, or find another house. ::)  Among the 52!!! boxes was a couple of boxes of a PD catheter control "device".   Not really a belt, but something you stick on?  I don't really understand it.  Anyone have experience with these? http://www.tntmoborg.com/immobile.html

Diagnosed with Stage 2 ESRD 2009
Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 03:53:47 PM »

I hadn't seen that before.  I simply use tape.

My cath comes out of my chest, tunnele down from there to the adomen.

The acual 'site' is numb from nerve damage done years ago during my by-pass surgery.  In some ways that's great, no pain if I bump or tug on the cath.  But then again, the site gets 'elongated' because I can't feel that the cath came 'loose' or while doing manual exchanges it was pulling down or off to one side.  So my Nurse was ALWAYS poking around in the site with those silver coated Q-tips cauterizing the area to make it heal 'better.  Most of the time I didn't fell a thing.  Until she got a little deeper.  Then the WASP starts stinging.  Ouch.

Another Nurse taught me to 'coil' the cath, make a small loop of the hose and tape it  down laid right over the gauge pads on the site.  This coil of hose has massive contact with the tape now instead of just the inch or so before.  Any pulling or tugging is well held and absolutely no movement of the cath at the actual site.

This also shortens the overall length of the unsupported cath enough that apiece of tape holds it well.  Sometimes I have taken a pocket T-shirt and cut a 1/4 inch slit in the shirt inside the pocket.  This is within an inch of my site, so I can poke the cath through that slit and leave it curled inside that pocket.

I also have a couple of the cath bands.  The elastic band that fits around my chest and has a pocket to stick the cath connector inside.  It's fine in the winter but I swaet so bad in the summer that it is very uncomfortable.  I now know why big breasted women are SO glad to get their bra off at the end of the day.  It really feels that bad in the summer.  Hot, sweaty, itchy, etc..

kickingandscreaming
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 06:58:02 PM »

I also have a couple of the cath bands.  The elastic band that fits around my chest and has a pocket to stick the cath connector inside.  It's fine in the winter but I swaet so bad in the summer that it is very uncomfortable. 

Do you mean by "cath bands" what are mostly called "PD belts?"  Or is there another category of helpers called the "cath band?"  And if so, where did you get the cath band?

Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2016, 07:28:14 AM »

lol     I seem to lose words sometimes.  I know exactly what I mean, and can write a whole book trying to explain it, but still fail to remember the common name.

PD Belt is it!   

It just doesn't have a 'buckle'.  lol

Oh should I say 'D'oh!"
sahern

Frozen in Alaska

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016, 07:10:51 PM »

They gave me a few of these to take home after surgery.  They also put one on after surgery to help hold the catheter in place.  I used the couple that they gave me but did not really like them as I did not think that they held the catheter securely.  I now just use tape to hold it so I do not pull on the line while sleeping. Shaun
kickingandscreaming
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2016, 06:21:05 PM »

Actually, I have now has a chance to try the Immobile for a while, and I rather like it.  I wish I had invented it.  I am VERY sensitive to tape.  If I put on the silk tape, within hours the area is aching and inflamed.  With the immobile, I attach it to my island dressing over the exit site and it holds the transfer set and part of the catheter (it can be configured in a number of ways) and I don't need any tape and it keeps the damn thing out of the way.

Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
marali

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2016, 12:18:04 PM »

Use the Immobilizer with the adhesive.  Over time has (30 Mos) irritated my skin and was itchy.  I have a background in Medical Device Mfg and I have designed a product which replaced the tape.  If anyone is interested in trying this they can go to facebook (Marali Inc).  I will send a few out (No cost) as long as you give me a review on facebook on how you feel the product worked .  All I will need is size (Is your torso/Stomach not waist) and address.  If you connect with me on facebook it wiill take 4-5 weeks to get it to you.  I want to see if this works as sell for others as it does for me
kickingandscreaming
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2016, 12:23:48 PM »

When I place the Immobie over my Island dressing (which has to be there anyway over my exit site) then the adhesive of the Immobile is only in contact with the Island dressing and not at all with my skin.  That's why I like it so much.  I don't go anywhere near Facebook.

Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2016, 03:32:19 PM »

I too am sensitive to many tapes.  Many cause a red rash under the adhesive, some stick so well they actually 'peel' off a layer of skin!

The wide Stretch Roll my PD Nurse gives me causes water blisters to form under it.  So when I go to remove the dressing the blister peels off with it, leaving a very raw tender spot that I have to cover with gauze in order to heal.

Somehow my Nurse came upon the idea to 'paint' me with the iodine wipes before taping.  It works!   No more water blisters.

I don't know how, much less why, only that I have a box of those wipes and Religiously paint everywhere I need to tape anything.  Even bandaids!

cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2016, 08:35:20 AM »

What a clever idea, I must try that thanx

:cheer:

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo