I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:18:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Off-Topic: Talk about anything you want.
| | |-+  What do you collect and why?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What do you collect and why?  (Read 6423 times)
kitkatz
Member for Life

« on: January 06, 2016, 02:30:37 PM »

Almost everyone has a collection of something.  I have a few.

I collect lighthouses with real names on them or really super pretty ones. Why?  Lighthouses remind me there is light in the world in dark places.
I collect wooden boxes.  Why?  I like them and they come in a huge variety.
I collect keychains.  Why?  I have no idea why the but kids at school and people have given me keychains. I have a jewelry box drawer full of keychains now.
I collect WWE stuff.  Why? I like WWE wrestling, and yes i know it is fake.

What are your collections?

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 03:11:39 PM »

I'm a guy.  I collect tools, and a few toys, made of metal. 

Like my
BBC El Camino 70 SS 396 (that's a lie, It's a little bigger, and hopefully soon will grow up a LOT bigger).
79 Harley FX I bought new when working at the bike shop.  Still miss that job.
62 Honda trail 90
62 StarCraft Aluminum boat
Enough various saws, tillers, mowers, wackers, besides my truck, her van, our blazer, that if I decided to change spark plugs on everything it would take well over 100 plugs and a couple of long days to get them all done.

Some call it 'Arrested Development'.  Stuck on stupid since before I got my drivers license.  Sort of.
SooMK

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 05:47:59 AM »

My husband thinks I collect shoes. I used to collect frogs (not real ones) and now I collect skulls and skeletons if they come across my path.

SooMK
Diagnosed with Uromodulin Kidney Disease (ADTKD/UMOD) 2009
Transplant from my wonderful friend, April 2014
Volunteering with Rare Kidney Disease Foundation 2022. rarekidney.org
Focused on treatment and cure for ADTKD/UMOD and MUC1 mutations.
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 09:01:48 AM »

I don't collect anything. I'm trying to rid myself of stuff. My mother collected all sorts of things that I inherited: frogs, ducks, dishes, dolls, hand-blown glass. The list goes on. Carl collects rocks - pretty ones.

I guess I collect memories.  :2thumbsup;

I do have a "problem" with buying paper. I love beautiful papers, but I do try to turn them into things or use them.

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
Vt Big Rig

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 09:04:44 AM »

I'm a guy.  I collect tools, and a few toys, made of metal. 

Absolutely ..... he who dies with the most tools WINS!!!!

VT Big Rig
Diagnosed - October 2012
Started with NxStage - April 2015
6 Fistula grams in 5 months,  New upper fistula Oct 2015, But now old one working fine, until August 2016 and it stopped, tried an angio, still no good
Started on new fistula .
God Bless my wife and care partner for her help
Deanne
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2016, 09:37:28 AM »

I don't collect "stuff," but I seem to have a pet collection. My dog was a deliberate choice. My 3 cats were either neglected or strays. The 4 goldfish in my pond refused to wear condoms and spawned several times last summer.  I managed to rehome most of them last fall but have I have 18 in a tub in my living room. They'll go to new homes or to a pet store once they're a bit larger (does anyone in the Portland Oregon area want goldfish?)

Why? I'm probably a sucker!

Deanne

1972: Diagnosed with "chronic kidney disease" (no specific diagnosis)
1994: Diagnosed with FSGS
September 2011: On transplant list with 15 - 20% function
September 2013: ~7% function. Started PD dialysis
February 11, 2014: Transplant from deceased donor. Creatinine 0.57 on 2/13/2014
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2016, 10:24:38 AM »

I hope this link works.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10208874770170385&set=a.1879589953324.115596.1348531868&type=3&theater

If I were to draw the winning PowerBall #'s I would have to rebuild my barn to make room for my new tool box.
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2016, 11:33:35 AM »

AR15s and 1911s since a couple of friends are presidents of manufacturing firms and like to send me samples.
Vt Big Rig

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2016, 11:48:26 AM »

AR15s and 1911s since a couple of friends are presidents of manufacturing firms and like to send me samples.

CAN I BE YOUR FRIENDS NEW FRIEND!!!!

VT Big Rig
Diagnosed - October 2012
Started with NxStage - April 2015
6 Fistula grams in 5 months,  New upper fistula Oct 2015, But now old one working fine, until August 2016 and it stopped, tried an angio, still no good
Started on new fistula .
God Bless my wife and care partner for her help
willowtreewren
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2016, 12:04:52 PM »

I don't collect "stuff," but I seem to have a pet collection. My dog was a deliberate choice. My 3 cats were either neglected or strays. The 4 goldfish in my pond refused to wear condoms and spawned several times last summer.  I managed to rehome most of them last fall but have I have 18 in a tub in my living room. They'll go to new homes or to a pet store once they're a bit larger (does anyone in the Portland Oregon area want goldfish?)

Goldfish can winter over outside as long as your pond doesn't freeze solid. We always leave ours. When they get big, the herons do come in and reduce the population, though.

Deanne
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2016, 01:47:00 PM »

Goldfish can winter over outside as long as your pond doesn't freeze solid. We always leave ours. When they get big, the herons do come in and reduce the population, though.

My pond fish stay outside all winter. It's only the fry that I brought in. They seemed too small and delicate to survive in the tub I have them in. This year, I'll probably leave the fry in the pond instead of scooping them out for rehoming. The grown-up fish can (and better!) call them sushi. I don't want the pond overloaded.

Deanne

1972: Diagnosed with "chronic kidney disease" (no specific diagnosis)
1994: Diagnosed with FSGS
September 2011: On transplant list with 15 - 20% function
September 2013: ~7% function. Started PD dialysis
February 11, 2014: Transplant from deceased donor. Creatinine 0.57 on 2/13/2014
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2016, 05:41:27 PM »

I collect a lot of dust. Use to gather and collect pieces from whenever my life would fall apart but I don't do that so much anymore, either. 

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2016, 08:38:54 PM »

I collect a lot of dust too, LOL!!!! However, I really love the miniature tea pots and tea cups. why? I have no idea, except they are so darling.

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
willowtreewren
Member for Life

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2016, 07:20:12 AM »

I collect a lot of dust too, LOL!!!! However, I really love the miniature tea pots and tea cups. why? I have no idea, except they are so darling.

Jean, I seriously considered collecting tea cups with matching spoons for the same reason. BUT, I just couldn't bring myself to part with the  :twocents; :twocents; and bring more to dust into the house. ha ha ha!

Aleta

kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2016, 01:54:56 AM »

Over many years my husband and I have collected from different places Christmas-baubles which - over the season -  we hang-up on our candelabra near the window. Many of these baubles are in colourful Venetian glass to see through and the colours are very uplifting ...  The fact that it is near the window enables us to get enough light to see through the baubles and that makes it very special for us to enjoy again and again through the Christmas season...
... Whenever I can, I also collect interesting early harpsichord- or piano scores if I am lucky enough to discover another affordable one in a second-hand-book-shop ...

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2016, 06:55:39 AM »

I collect a lot of dust. ..................

:rofl; Don't we all, whether intentional, or not!
del
Elite Member

del and willowtreewren meet

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2016, 08:40:29 AM »

I try to collect good friends!!  Don't have to dust them off very often!!  LOL

Don't take your organs to heaven.  Heaven knows we need them here.
Hootie

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2016, 10:04:04 AM »

We collect dust bunnies...If you have maine coon cats then you get fine hair dust bunnies as offspring in the corners with the overhead fans running...

My wife is into roosters....everything is rooster in the kitchen area. Our daughter got her a 6 foot metal rooster for Christmas...Its pretty but very big...

Caregiver for wife with ESRD and type Type 1 diabetes (almost 50 years).  HHD with NxStage machine January 2015.
Transplanted  December 7, 2016
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2016, 03:35:11 PM »

Just think of the omelets possible if your Daughter was to get a couple of 6 foot Hens!    :rofl;
gothiclovemonkey
Elite Member

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2016, 03:56:48 AM »

I collect squirrel stuff. anything squirrel related really. my kitchen is squirrel themed lol i have a few reasons for collecting them. When I was little, my mother would have coffee on our front porch, and let our dog run around in the "big yard" (front yard lol) One day we were out there, and my mom saw a squirrel, told our dog to "go get the squirrel...get the squirrel" and for some reason my dog decided to run full speed in my direction, jumping up on my lap and 'attacking' me with kisses... from then on I was dubbed the squirrel. Shortly after that, my mother passed away, and ive been sort of addicted to them since. And they are too cute.

I am also startng to collect weird random stuff, oddities, anything anatomy, body, medical related. because.... im weird?

"Imagine how important death must be to have a prerequisite such as life" Unknown
HemoDialysis since 2007
TX listed 8/1/11 inactive
LISTED ACTIVE! 11/14/11 !!!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »