I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 06:54:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Centers
| | |-+  Dialysis: Workers
| | | |-+  Protein the Monkey
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Protein the Monkey  (Read 7103 times)
turtley

« on: January 02, 2016, 03:42:40 PM »

Just changed my Avatar to show everyone my monkey named "Protein"   My patients named him that.  My pts.look forward to seeing him since always has renal friendly treats  and  education to give them.   He has  lots of outfits to change into support that months education. Will try to post his Christmas one.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 09:20:38 PM »

That is cute, but why do you all think dialysis patients need to be treated like kids? Often times we are more educated than you are on our disease and conditions.  Bringing a protein monkey around to tell me about my protein levels is insulting.  Grumble grumble.  :banghead; :banghead;

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
cattlekid
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 06:58:09 AM »

I completely agree with you, kit.  My nutritionist and social worker tried to play silly little games at our center that also violated HIPPA (posting names and phos levels on a board!?!??!!?!).  I told them 100% that I would take no part in it.  I was pissed enough that I got a "report card" with smily faces instead of real lab reports. 

That is cute, but why do you all think dialysis patients need to be treated like kids? Often times we are more educated than you are on our disease and conditions.  Bringing a protein monkey around to tell me about my protein levels is insulting.  Grumble grumble.  :banghead; :banghead;
turtley

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 07:26:20 AM »

I never said  nor indicated that I treat my pts. like kids.  The monkey is used as a prop for educational purposes.   He also has participated in NKF and Renal Network activities at their request.    He wears a badge that has all the binders on it  ( as do all the staff) so  pts can indicate which binder they take.   He was named Protein by the pts and usually brings them treats along with whatever educational message is being passed out  that month.  Most look forward to seeing him ( and ask for him  when he is not there)   and all take him in the light hearted manner intended.  I am sorry you can not .

By the way I have worked in dialysis over 30 years and now a care partner to a NxStage pt.  thus think I have a good knowledge of dialysis.   
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 08:57:17 AM »

I see nothing wrong with having a helpful mascot.  Dialysis is a serious business.  Anything that may help ease tension should be taken as merely an attempt to bring a little comfort to an otherwise dreary procedure.

My Nutritionist also uses Smileys on my monthly lab report.  I don't have to see the report as I've already gotten the results from my Nurse.  But it never hurts to see the copy from the Nutritionist as it lists both the good and bad foods that may have contributed to my results.  I never hurts to see those lists as it may help me when deciding what groceries to purchase.
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2016, 09:59:44 AM »

By the way I have worked in dialysis over 30 years and now a care partner to a NxStage pt.  thus think I have a good knowledge of dialysis.

I think sometimes people forget that you likely deal with all kinds of people.  People who are going to spend a long time on a forum like this likely are the patients you don't need to spend that much time with since we want to learn.  Not to mention that everyone learns differently.  Please don't be too sensitive to the feedback here.

My Nutritionist also uses Smileys on my monthly lab report.
I get a sucker (candy) when my labs are good, and I lost it last month because my phosphorous is out of wack...
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 10:01:10 AM by iolaire » Logged

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2016, 11:56:04 AM »

I get a sucker (candy) when my labs are good, and I lost it last month because my phosphorous is out of wack...

Receptionist always has a dish of candy at the counter.

DCI Columbia, MO Nutritionist has posted a map of the USA and laid out a string path from East Coast to West Coast.  For the next few months we can earn 'Points' or 'miles' to 'bicycle ride' across the Country.  Somehow along the way we can earn tickets that we can put into different drawings, chances to be drawn for gifts.  The Clinic will be giving away among other things a couple of Fire Tablets.  I don't remember any of the rest of the stuff.  I don't expect to win.  Told her my legs won't let me get far on a bicycle. lol
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2016, 12:18:16 PM »

When my mom was on dialysis, she'd get those smileys on her lab results.  She didn't seem to mind, but I hated the very idea of it since I always got my own lab results with big girl numbers on it.  It must be hard to run a clinic in a way that satisfies everyone.   I personally would despise a protein monkey, but I know that that would be my problem.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2016, 07:53:14 AM »

I've heard of 'Big Girl Panties', which really confuse me as my experience with Big Girls the smaller their panties!  I really cannot understand how they can stand that 'floss' stuck way up in there.  Wouldn't that be as irritating is something stuck between your teeth, I would be constantly be trying to pull it OUT of there!

But I don't think I've heard of these 'Big Girl #'s'.  Can you clarify, or give an example?
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2016, 12:50:12 PM »

But I don't think I've heard of these 'Big Girl #'s'.  Can you clarify, or give an example?

No, I just made that up.  I'm clever that way.   :P

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2016, 02:40:15 PM »

I am just thoroughly offended when games and such are done at the dialysis clinic to "educate" me.   How about treating me like the adult I am?  I am quite capable of figuring out I am responsible for my lab results.  If you want to play a game with your patients play it as a game, not as a guise to educate them.  Most patients need and want information to be understandable and to meet their personal needs.  Many of the "education" games do not meet the needs of patients, just the needs of the social worker or dietitian to fulfill corporate dictates.

I am happy protein monkey works for you.  Maybe you have found a more adult approach with him with patients.  Anything that helps patients get information is really ultimately okay with me.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2016, 03:24:57 PM »

At first I didn't like the little smiley faces or sticky gold stars on my husband's lab reports...made us feel silly. But then I came to appreciate them in the way that when he doesn't get a star or smiley face, it stands out and forces me to notice changes in his labs right away. On another note but sort of the same topic, I once went into the clinic and just inside the front door there was a table with various sized jugs filled with fluid. There was big cards marked with the amount of fluid each jug held, all in big bold black writing. It was so close to the door I nearly ran into it going in, I mean, it was a "in your face" type of thing. Now, I realize some patients, altho life threatening as it may be, do not do what they are told, drink too much fluid, eat the wrong things, etc etc and/or simply do not understand what they should/shouldn't eat and drink but even I found that a bit insulting and I'm not a dialysis patient. Made me feel as tho they were giving patients a "public scolding" by putting that table right there at the front door for the world to see. I looked at it like a big "downer" and a form of humiliation. Perhaps some patients need a lecture or even a scolding, maybe nothing else works but I don't think people need to be humiliated. Bad enough these people are on dialysis but the fact that they show up and go through it should also be acknowledged and encouraged. Okay, I've said enough, perhaps too much but that was my two cents. 

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
Deanne
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2016, 04:14:23 PM »

I probably would've thought the monkey was lame when I was on dialysis, but the sticky stars didn't bother me. They helped draw my eyes to key points. Maybe a highlight on the results would've been better though - one color on the good results and another color on the things I needed to watch more closely. Not to praise or berate, but because the added colors would help draw my eyes to the results without having to read the whole thing carefully.

Deanne

1972: Diagnosed with "chronic kidney disease" (no specific diagnosis)
1994: Diagnosed with FSGS
September 2011: On transplant list with 15 - 20% function
September 2013: ~7% function. Started PD dialysis
February 11, 2014: Transplant from deceased donor. Creatinine 0.57 on 2/13/2014
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2016, 11:00:16 AM »

I wouldn't perceive a table of containers anything like a public scolding as long as there wasn't anything that could indicate any specific patient.  More like a good example of how much volumes of fluid weigh.  Most people haven't a clue how much volume equals even one pound of water. ( One can of soda).  So when patients can see how much  volume some of these weights can be it can help them to think a little more about how their diet, different foods and drinks can contribute to how much weight they have to take off during their treatment.

People with no idea can be shocked once this concept is realized.
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2016, 09:47:43 PM »

I agree with Kitkatz.  I don't need puppets for learning and after almost 30 years I could tell the staff a thing or two.

I'm still pissed about them changing the lab dates to midweek.  This time my potassium was 5.5  and I cannot WAIT for them to say something... first the dietitian, then the Nephrologist and then the PA. 

Anyway.... yeah once we played BINGO with pictures of food we can't have.... Hot dogs, Milk, Ice Cream.   :P

iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2016, 07:10:38 AM »

There was big cards marked with the amount of fluid each jug held, all in big bold black writing. It was so close to the door I nearly ran into it going in, I mean, it was a "in your face" type of thing.
I saw a display like this with disposable cups in another center.  I recommended they use it in my center.  I think the visual aid is good. I understand liquid volume but I assume there are others who could use the visuals.

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2016, 09:22:52 AM »

Anyway.... yeah once we played BINGO with pictures of food we can't have.... Hot dogs, Milk, Ice Cream.   :P

OMG, you're joking!  That's unbelievable!  I mean, really, that's just unbelievable! :o

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »