I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 08, 2024, 05:37:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Answers to questions
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Answers to questions  (Read 1994 times)
smartcookie

LMSW

« on: December 30, 2015, 06:51:52 PM »

Hi everyone! I haven't been logged on as a member recently, but I have been digging into some old posts. You have no idea how much your knowledge and experiences have changed the way I look at my patients!
I did want to address some stuff that professionals haven't answered. I have seen a couple posts as to why professionals don't donate kidneys. I haven't because diabetes and heart disease runs in my family. However, an RN who worked at my clinic did. I am not sure about others. I would have already donated if I could. I hate seeing my patients so sick!
Another question was how do professionals handle patient deaths. I don't know about other professionals, but I grieve in my own way. I may not show it at work, but I have cried and prayed peace over family and friends. The dietician at my clinic always has to take a minute to compose herself.
Another question is why aren't professionals more compassionate. I get angry when burdensome techs tell patients to stop crying or yelling when in pain. I try to check on patients and report to the nurse about who is cramping or hurting. I have handed patients trash cans to throw up in and held their hand when getting stuck the first time. So some of us can be compassionate. I think others get immune to pain and sickness as a coping mechanism.
I is getting late and this is long, so I will stop there. Paying everyone is well and has a happy New year!

I am a renal social worker.  I am happy to help answer questions, but please talk to your clinic social worker for specifics on your particular situation.
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 06:34:41 AM »

Happy New Year to you too, and it's nice to know there are actual real life professionals who do care and are not afraid to show it.

Love, Cas

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 01:58:45 PM »

I don't doubt that MANY professionals are afraid to 'uncover' their real emotions for fear that it may possibly impair their ability to make a clear impartial judgement on any patient issue.

Dwelling for any length of time on the loss of a patient could possibly cause a terrible error in treating another patient if the attending professional is working.

I'm sure it isn't easy, it must be terribly difficult to set aside your emotions until you get out of the clinic.

Most patients will agree, that when they are with their Dr that they expect 100% of the Dr's attention.  Not 90%, not 95%.  It isn''t easy, because they ARE human.

It is a tough job.  I don''t thing that I could do it.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »