I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 09:55:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis
| | |-+  A new issue - bleeding at needle site
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A new issue - bleeding at needle site  (Read 5085 times)
Vt Big Rig

« on: December 04, 2015, 05:54:16 AM »

Well, at least for me.

Recently we cut down on the heparin dose. It has slowed my bleeding after treatment quite a bit and we have been happily running since then.

I am a NxStage user. Last night my venus site would not stop bleeding while we were trying a treatment. The needle went in smooth, great pressures  but I bled through a 2x2 and 2 4X4 pieces of gauze in an hour and 45 minutes. We chose to abort early. AS soon as I got all fluid removed because it would not slow down and seemed to be getting worse.

Any ideas out there on how to slow or stop this. I have had some bleeding before but nothing like this.

Another step on the journey.........

VT Big Rig
Diagnosed - October 2012
Started with NxStage - April 2015
6 Fistula grams in 5 months,  New upper fistula Oct 2015, But now old one working fine, until August 2016 and it stopped, tried an angio, still no good
Started on new fistula .
God Bless my wife and care partner for her help
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2015, 06:00:52 AM »

When that happened to me I had to create a new BH. Blood started spurting out when I inserted the needle, I suppose the BH can get damaged or something. Good luck, and I would ring your nurse so they can check on a previous fistulagram for the best place to go.

Good luck, and love, Cas

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
Vt Big Rig

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2015, 07:26:22 AM »

We are checking with the nurse, as we do with most things, but we do not use buttonholes. This is with a sharp. Guess I should have said that huh :shy;

VT Big Rig
Diagnosed - October 2012
6 Fistula grams in 5 months,  New upper fistula Oct 2015, But now old one working fine, until August 2016 and it stopped, tried an angio, still no good
Started on new fistula .
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2015, 09:08:50 AM »

I hesitate to answer because we use 15g blunts down buttonholes and not sharps BUT...when we've had that happen to us, it's been because we accidentally "widened" the needle hole (either during cannulation or the needle got moved during treatment) or sometimes we get bleeding out the sides if my husband's blood pressure is high or....there is a narrowing/blockage occurring above or below the needle hole in the fistula. Make sure you still feel the "thrill" in your fistula and have the nurse check it with a stethoscope. Might need a fistulagram to rule out stenosis. Hopefully your next stick won't give you any problems and you guys can enjoy the weekend. My husband has a new arterial buttonhole and new ones tend to be bleeders (after pulling the needle). Darn bloody messes...

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2015, 10:35:40 AM »

O o good luck to you both

:angel;

And Vt before I had BH's I used to give my fistula a vit-e oil mask (from a capsule to 'eat') cover it with plastic, on an off day, it might keep the skin stronger and more flexible, if it isn't the pressure in the fistula being increased like PT said.

Love, Cas

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2015, 01:00:49 PM »

I do in center but every now and then I get a bunch of blood that seeps past the needle and the site looks like some one squeezed a rasbury jelly donut.
The center does not seem concerned so I ignore it when it happens.
Vt Big Rig

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2015, 05:34:01 PM »

Amazingly, it was a very smooth cannulation. We are finally at the point that we can both feel if it going to be good or not.

Jelly donut is a good way to describe it but it would not stop. That is what scared us a little.

VT Big Rig
Diagnosed - October 2012
Started on new fistula .
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2015, 04:05:31 AM »

About once a month I have a site that bleeds. Not a spurter but more of a slow but constant leak.  After I have held my sites I use a band aid called a sure seal (18 dollars a hundred from Amazon) these have a small sponge that expand as it soaks up blood the expanded sponge puts pressure on the site.  Occasionally I have fond 1site still bleeds after I remove the sure seal after 8 hours.  I slap on another sure seal and wait another 8 to 12 hours and remove never any bleeding after that.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 05:02:18 AM by Michael Murphy » Logged
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2015, 04:59:59 AM »

You all make me think of you as a bunch of battle scarred warriors, swapping stories of each scars and the scurmish when you got it.  As if it is the most simple and accepted thing.

I would be a quivering mass, on the edge of panic, sitting in that chair and watching the slow 'ooze'.  I doubt that I could EVER pull off acting like it weren't no thing.

There are SOO many words that apply, many  along the lines of 'courage', and 'respect'.

I can only hope that if it ever comes to pass that I have to go on Hemo, that I can show even half the qualities that I see in you all.

Keep Taking Care,

Charlie B
Vt Big Rig

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2015, 05:11:49 AM »

All I can say Charlie; is you do what you need to do. I certainly cannot say I went to my first dialysis session without trembling knees. I stood outside the center taking deep breaths for about 10 minutes.

And the first time we had a "bit of a leak" ......I about fainted. But it needs to be done so we do it. There are no medals or kudos involved.. It just needs to be done and you learn how to do it the best you can.

You will too if need be.

VT Big Rig
Diagnosed - October 2012
Started on new fistula .
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2015, 07:02:36 AM »

I agree with VT Big Rig the most terrifying day of my life was my first dialysis session, I didn't stand outside but got lost 3 times in driving to the center. When I went to leave I realized I was so upset I left the house with my reading glasses and drove in.  I can see better without my reading glasses then with them on.  However looking back I can safely say the more you know before you start the easier it is, and it seems worse than it will be in reality.
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2015, 12:22:30 PM »

As if it is the most simple and accepted thing.
I started in the hospital on a groin line when PD failed in a spectacular fashion.   It seemed more like part of the natural progression than a big deal.   Having 17 years to get used to the idea before it happened certainly helped, as did knowing I would eventually be on home treatment.  (First question when I met my neph was "Will you help me get a machine at home or do I need to find another doc?").

Now, it's just something I work into my life.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »