I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 09:21:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Organ awareness ride?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Organ awareness ride?  (Read 19525 times)
lola
Elite Member

I can fly!!!

« on: April 05, 2007, 12:28:00 PM »

OK so i'm thinking of ways to bring attention to the need of organ donor's and i came up with an idea i wanted to share and see what you think! My husband Otto is 36 and loves to be out on his klr 650 and ride with other people, soooo i thought hey what about putting together a" ride for awarness" i'd put up fliers everywhere and contact local media to get as much publisitie as possible. Everybody could wear something Green, and help spread the word. Like i said it's an idea that i wanted feedback on. (sluff) hope you'd join so i finally get to meet you. Like i said when i joined this form finding a kidney for not just my husband but everybody here has become a mission for me and i have the big mouth to get it done!!!! thanks and keep on :)  Amy

EDITED:  Moved post to proper thread - Goofynina/Admin.

EDITED: Corrected spelling in subject line - okarol/moderator
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 10:52:04 AM by okarol » Logged

goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 12:41:45 PM »

That would be Awesome Amy,  Damn, i wish i had the courage to ride a bike,  i mean they are sweet to look at and admire but i am scared to death to actually ride on one  :-\  I know we have some Motorcycle Enthusiast up in here, hopefully they will join in, right SLUFF?? :P :P   Good Luck with this and please do keep us posted.  :2thumbsup;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2007, 02:12:24 PM »

Iwould love to join you , but i'm in the UK ,  so it's a bit far to come !!! , but great idea  :2thumbsup;

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
George Jung

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 02:43:10 PM »

I would be a part of it if circumstances allow me to.  It's a great thought for sure!  Good for you. 8)
goofynina
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007, 03:01:44 PM »

Would it be possible to have members make their own groups in their own states and parts of the world?   :P

www.kidneyoogle.com
George Jung

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007, 03:08:00 PM »

Would it be possible to have members make their own groups in their own states and parts of the world? :P

Now thats thinking BIG!  Just let me know what I could do.  I really am not sure about being an organizer but you never know, I might be able to be persuaded.
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2007, 03:28:59 PM »

Count me in depending when where. :thumbup;
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2007, 03:32:05 PM »

I will call Trina and see if we can get special IHD t-shirts made up for any member or spouse who would take part in this. The Harley logo IHD Donor shirt would be perfect only maybe change the color? Any Input?  Just an idea.
George Jung

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2007, 03:51:41 PM »

I need to think about this idea a bit more but I thought it might be possible to arrange a benefit/awareness day at Virginia International Raceway.  Riders could be sponsored and collect donations for number of laps completed in which the money could be used for any number of things.  It might draw some productive attention being that VIR is widely know in the racing world.  Anyway, it's just a thought for now.  I will continue to brainstorm in the meantime.
lola
Elite Member

I can fly!!!

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2007, 03:55:31 PM »

I was thinking of having tshirts made for me and my husband in green. It would be soooooo cool to get other states involved and all ride on the same day since many are unable to come to Minnesota i'm hoping to do it end of June or in  July and have a rain date set too. Like i said b-4 i want to ge news coverage and get the message out. :)

goofynina
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2007, 03:58:43 PM »

Lola, this is an awesome idea and from the looks of it, and hopefully from just what i've read here, it just might be a huge success.  Good Job  :2thumbsup; :clap;

www.kidneyoogle.com
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2007, 05:02:28 PM »

Here's one group that did a ride, you could get some tips on organizing from them http://www.med.umich.edu/opm/newspage/2005/motorcycle.htm
Another related story http://www.bmwmoa.org/features/kidney.htm
Good idea Lola!

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
goofynina
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2007, 05:14:08 PM »

Here's one group that did a ride, you could get some tips on organizing from them http://www.med.umich.edu/opm/newspage/2005/motorcycle.htm
Good idea Lola!

Okarol, i love how you are always on it girlfriend, you know, even though you dont HAVE to be here, i am so glad you choose to be.  You have made my life easier to bare in so many ways, whether it is a post of a news article (some are truly inspiring), whether it is a joke (which are funnier than hell) whether it is a link (which some, one in particular, have brought me to tears) or just even a chat in the chat room, you have made a difference in my life and i thought i'd share that with you.  I love ya girlfriend, and please, just keep doing what your doing for us cuz i am sure i am not alone ;) ;)

www.kidneyoogle.com
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2007, 05:19:25 PM »

Good idea Lola!

Okarol, i love how you are always on it girlfriend, you know, even though you dont HAVE to be here, i am so glad you choose to be.  You have made my life easier to bare in so many ways, whether it is a post of a news article (some are truly inspiring), whether it is a joke (which are funnier than hell) whether it is a link (which some, one in particular, have brought me to tears) or just even a chat in the chat room, you have made a difference in my life and i thought i'd share that with you.  I love ya girlfriend, and please, just keep doing what your doing for us cuz i am sure i am not alone ;) ;)

ya da ya da yada  ;)  I feel the same way too. Karol you are a gem.
lola
Elite Member

I can fly!!!

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2007, 05:23:28 PM »

Thanks Karol :2thumbsup; :cuddle; :beer1;

lola
Elite Member

I can fly!!!

« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2007, 12:28:17 PM »

So i talked to one of my husband's bosses who is a harley man and he wants to put fliers up at all his biker hangout's he said they love to support good causes, so it's looking like we could have quite a few bikes. Now i just need to set up the route, we're looking at June 29th for the ride date but that's not 100% yet.

jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2007, 01:32:33 PM »

How about a poker run?  It's a good way to get sponsors.  If the bikers have to stop to pick up a card at a business, you can usually get the business to chip in some cash towards organizing the event.  There are a couple of charity runs up here in the winter that do that - only on snowmobile, of course!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

lola
Elite Member

I can fly!!!

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2007, 02:22:45 PM »

I wasn't really looking to raise money because sometimes people think it's to much work to get out and raise it, i was thinking of just a day out in the sun on the road with the bike and having a ton of people out there with me to get the word out about the need for organ donor's and being a "living donor". Maybe if this goes well it could become something to do every year and raise money to donate to a cause related to organ donations??? I don't know like i said this was something i just thought of and now our family and friends think it'll be a cool way to spread the word. I've started leaving messages at media outlet's to see about following our family's journey and doing this ride to make people aware. :thx;

George Jung

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2007, 03:11:18 PM »

I gottcha (guess I was a bit over ambitious at the time).  Please allow me to start over.

I would love to do something like that.  Anything to bring a greater awareness :2thumbsup;.  Is this something you want to do nationwide?
lola
Elite Member

I can fly!!!

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2007, 03:16:13 PM »

I personally think it would be sooooooo cool to know that on the same day other people in other state's are doing the same thing and then we could all talk about it here!!! Knowing i helped put an Idea in others heads about organ awareness would make me feel like like I'm finally putting my big mouth to some good use!!!! :grouphug;

Triker

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2007, 07:16:54 PM »

I personally think it would be sooooooo cool to know that on the same day other people in other state's are doing the same thing and then we could all talk about it here!!! Knowing i helped put an Idea in others heads about organ awareness would make me feel like like I'm finally putting my big mouth to some good use!!!! :grouphug;

I'm trying to get my house sold and moving, but if I get through the move, I might be able to help organize a ride. I won't know that many people, but my friend owns a cycle shop, and maybe we can put it together.
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2007, 07:35:10 PM »

Most taverns will pay $25 to $35 to have your group stop at there bar.  I have arranged many parties and many poker runs through the years, in fact I'm working on 1 now for July 21st here and June 10th in 2008.

Have to start small so the general business population gets used to seeing the bikes every year then wham you start asking for donations through sponsorship and eventually it can become a Nationwide event.
goofynina
Member for Life

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2007, 01:00:04 PM »

Sheeeit, i'd pay to have all them bikers just drive by my house, man oh man :P :P 

www.kidneyoogle.com
George Jung

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2007, 05:13:22 PM »

Sheeeit.......goofynina.......gilr, we don't "drive",  we RIDE 8)
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2007, 08:15:56 PM »

Sheeeit.......goofynina.......gilr, we don't "drive",  we RIDE 8)

Thats right.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »