I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:31:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Centers
| | |-+  Holding Your Own Gauze After
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Holding Your Own Gauze After  (Read 6157 times)
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« on: November 03, 2015, 10:47:00 AM »

This is not really a complaint but does concern me. My husband does home-hemo but because he is very anemic (had a fistula bleeding problem during recent hospital stay), he is having to go in-center for about a month or until his Hemoglobin is back up to an acceptable level. Here's my question: is it standard for a center to have a patient hold their own needle sites after treatment? Would they take offense if I were to ask them to make sure someone holds my husband's needle sites for him? My concern is blood loss. I don't care about blood stains but I am very concerned about his hemoglobin.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 10:51:37 AM by PrimeTimer » Logged

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 11:46:39 AM »

Your best bet is to talk to the RN in charge of the clinic when he goes in for processing.
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 11:49:39 AM »

In my center if you do not hold yourself they use clamps.

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 01:52:29 PM »

In my center no clamps, studies show use of clamps damages fistulas.  Patients are asked to hold if they are able, one at a time., since if you are having problems two is one to many.  If staff has to hold putting on or taking off has priority so the whole procedure takes longer.  The patients I have seen complain are the ones who try to answer their cell phones while holding.  I have seen more blood then in a slasher movie when that happens.  Realize taking a staff person to hold you means that other patients are not getting the attention they deserve. When a patient that has real problems holding they are scheduled differently to avoid conflicts when staff is tied up.  Not every one can hold, but if you can it's healthier for your fistula and fairer to other patients if you have a real problem then the staff will help.  The need to answer the cell however is not a real problem.
Vt Big Rig

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2015, 01:56:29 PM »

And he is anemic. I have no experience in center but I'm told they see a lot of leakage with clamps. In addition to the possible fistula damage.

VT Big Rig
Diagnosed - October 2012
Started with NxStage - April 2015
6 Fistula grams in 5 months,  New upper fistula Oct 2015, But now old one working fine, until August 2016 and it stopped, tried an angio, still no good
Started on new fistula .
God Bless my wife and care partner for her help
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2015, 02:20:23 PM »

My center says clamps are bad but use them if you can not hold.  I'd hate to have to wait for them to hold people's bandages.  When a arrive there usually two or so chairs out of the four with people in clamps (the rest are gone).

RE: Simon Dog's next comment
From a limited sampling I've seen, it appears that Fresenius does not allow techs to use personal cell phones while on duty but it is a way of life at DaVita.  Not sure if this is corporate wide or just what I have seen in a limited sampling.
At my DaVita center they have their phones but do not use them on the floor.  You might hear it ring or beep but they do not use it.  I do think they use it at the nurses station desk and sometimes someone will clean their phone on the floor.  I'm sure the DaVita rules are enforced by the nurse or the center's administrator.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 02:24:15 PM by iolaire » Logged

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2015, 02:20:31 PM »

The need to answer the cell however is not a real problem.
Plus, if the staff is holding your sites they cannot answer their cell phones.

From a limited sampling I've seen, it appears that Fresenius does not allow techs to use personal cell phones while on duty but it is a way of life at DaVita.  Not sure if this is corporate wide or just what I have seen in a limited sampling.
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2015, 03:43:38 PM »

When we are at home I'm the one who pulls the needles and holds the gauze, so he's not use to doing that altho he often asks if I want him to. Maybe it would be a good idea for him to learn just so he can get a feel for it. ??  Takes a while to "get the touch" so to speak and that way, if he ever has to go back in-center like he is having to do right now, he will have a better idea of how to do it. He's not afraid and he's not frustrated over it, I'm the one who is concerned because whether it's a little or a lot, I don't think he can afford to lose any more blood. He lost a lot of blood in the hospital...hemoglobin was 10.5 and went down to a 6. They had to give him 2 units of blood. Blood stains on pants -no big deal. Pants are cheap. It's my husband who is priceless and irreplaceable. 

As for clamps -unless absolutely necessary, I say no way to that. In fact, I've even learned not to "mash down" on his needle sites just to avoid putting unnecessary pressure on his fistula. I think the Australian nephrologist Dr. John Agar once wrote about not flogging the fistula with too high of a blood flow rate or mashing down on it when holding gauze.

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2015, 05:34:53 PM »

I did not write very clearly, the phone answers every time I have seen it happen were the patients.  Also two of the patients who I saw complained about holding. 
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2015, 06:45:32 AM »

hemoglobin was 10.5 and went down to a 6. They had to give him 2 units of blood.
I've recovered from an HGB of 6.2 twice with no blood.  Fortunately, the head of hematology at the hospital I used understood the reason for avoiding it in my case and worked closely with the docs who were primary on my case to lend his support for "riding it out".
Hazmat35

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2015, 07:48:23 AM »

at our center; the patients are encouraged to hold their own sites after the needles are pulled.  However; if they cannot hold them because of some sort of disability or physically unable to do so; then the Tech that takes the needles out; will hold the site until it has clotted and can be tapped up. 

You are the patient (our your husband is) and your in charge of your access; so if YOU want them to HOLD it....it is up to them to follow your directions.  I would say ask them to hold it for your husband. 

Brother Passed away - 1990 - Liver Disease
Diagnosed w/ Polycystic Kidney Disease - 1998
Mother passed away - Feb. 1999 - PKD
Sister passed away - Feb. 2006 - PKD
AV Fistula / Upper Left Arm - September 2009
Father passed away - September 2009
In-Center Hemo Dialysis - April 2010
Broken Knee Cap - January 2015
Diagnosed w/ A-Fib October 2017
Surgery to repair Hiatal Hernia 2018
Multiple Fistula Grams / Angioplasty's since then!

Hating Dialysis since Day 1 and everyday since then!!!!  :)
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2015, 08:35:08 AM »

Would they take offense if I were to ask them to make sure someone holds my husband's needle sites for him?
I would hope that they encourage you helping after the needles are pulled... A new pair came in a few months ago and the son has been holding for the mother everyday.

cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2015, 03:15:05 PM »

When we are at home I'm the one who pulls the needles and holds the gauze, so he's not use to doing that altho he often asks if I want him to. Maybe it would be a good idea for him to learn just so he can get a feel for it. ??

Dear PT I would definitely start to let him hold his sites. It's just that little feeling of control, and of helping you too.

Love, Cas

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »