I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:18:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis - NxStage Users
| | |-+  Comedy Central tonight
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Comedy Central tonight  (Read 3201 times)
Vt Big Rig

« on: October 29, 2015, 05:00:04 AM »

If you don't laugh you would cry!!!

Dear wife decides she is going to help us get an early start and leaves work early to set up machine. She gets a strange alarm halfway through prime saying the dialyizor port is loose. She fixes that and moves on. As I sit down I look at  machine and notice what I think is a problem. Call NXStage and after 10 minutes of describing that there is fluid in the little tiny line from access pod to the connection of access pod on the machine they say "that should not be there". Duh, that's why I am calling you. Break  down and start over.

Wife hates spiking the saline bag so "big strong man" will do it. Whoosh, right in  ... and through the side. Saline waterfall. (Done this before). Breakdown and start over. Get through prime and snap and tap.

Wife tries to insert first needle. Now, my fistula is wandering so there are limited spots where it is straight enough to feel safe putting in the needle. Also with the scar tissue and alcohol cleaning skin gets tough. Sometimes it seems like she needs a hammer. This is one of those times. As she tries to get needle in blood starts running down my arm. Dont know if she let off pressure and it came backwards or what, doesn't matter. Hold for ten minutes.

We place a bandage over that hole as close to its edge as we can so we have room to try again. As  she positions second needle I try to stabilize fistula by "gently" stretching skin. You guessed it ...... hole under band aid erupts into second Mt Vesuvius.

Cover quick with gauze, look at dear wife and say ..."Honey, God does not want us to do this tonight" .... we are both laughing like crazy.

Ahh, the joys and beauty of home dialysis .... we can try again tonight.

VT Big Rig
Diagnosed - October 2012
Started with NxStage - April 2015
6 Fistula grams in 5 months,  New upper fistula Oct 2015, But now old one working fine, until August 2016 and it stopped, tried an angio, still no good
Started on new fistula .
God Bless my wife and care partner for her help
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2015, 08:15:46 AM »

Set up a camera it would make a great utube video.  Then with 500000 dialysis patients in US I am sure you would make some money.
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2015, 08:21:24 PM »

:popcorn;  Add a little vaudeville to it and you're talking big money.   

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
del
Elite Member

del and willowtreewren meet

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2015, 12:27:30 PM »

Been there done that with trying to set up early!~!

Don't take your organs to heaven.  Heaven knows we need them here.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »