I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 07:26:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Off-Topic: Talk about anything you want.
| | |-+  Ever Scared On Halloween?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ever Scared On Halloween?  (Read 2324 times)
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« on: October 28, 2015, 01:01:37 PM »

I don't believe in ghosts as much as I do angels but, I have seen and heard dead people. I've seen and heard dead friends and family members and although startling, never in a scary way and in fact, in some instances were amusing and other times brought me great comfort. Only once have I "seen" someone whom I could not identify and to this day, cannot explain.

A few years back on Halloween my husband and I took our dog for a walk in the park before greeting trick-or-treaters at the house. It was nearing dusk so we wanted to make it short. We arrived at the park and just as we started down the trail my husband had to stop to tie one of his shoe laces. As I stood beside him waiting I was startled by a young woman coming out of the bushes a few feet ahead of us. Now, this park is heavily treed with a lot of thick scrub brush and the trail winds through it like a snake. This park is also located in the middle of a large housing subdivision. My first thought and because of the houses nearby, was that maybe the girl lived in the neighborhood and was in a hurry and rather than use the trail, decided to take a shortcut through the bushes. We had just come from the parking lot which obviously leads out to a street and that was the direction she was heading in. Or appeared to be heading in.   

As I saw her push through the bushes and step onto the trail, I took note; young girl, late teens or early twenties, tall and thin, pale face, dressed all in black. Remember, it was Halloween. She wasn't necessarily dressed as a witch but I do remember that she was wearing some sort of long black cape. So, I just kind of figured that she was either a "goth girl" or maybe on her way to a costume party. Maybe both. Anyways, she seemed to literally burst onto the scene and she passed by us so closely that our shoulders could have touched. I guess you could say that sort of startled me as most strangers we cross on the trails never pass that closely but, to still be polite, I smiled at her. However, she did not return the smile. She had her chin down, eyes to the trail. A sort of sad look on her face. I also couldn't help but notice that she had an obvious and strange "gait". Not a limp or a stride or spring in her step but rather, she seemed to "glide" past us, as if to be on roller blades except...we were on a dirt trail. If the thought hadn't been so ridiculous I would have looked down at her feet just to make sure. Instead, I did not want to find myself distracted from this stranger that seemed to come out of nowhere and now passing us very closely. My eyes stayed on her. And she? Never even looked up.   

My husband was fairly quick about tying his shoe lace and so he and our dog started back up the trail. Since my eyes were still glued to this girl, I had to take a couple of quick steps to get back alongside them. Once I did, I glanced over my shoulder to take another look at her. Imagine how startled I was to see her on the other side of the park, a good fifty yards or so away and sitting on-top of a picnic table! And she was looking right over at me and...laughing. I swear I felt all the blood leave me but I did a double-take and sure enough, it was the same girl. My jaw dropped because whatever had just transpired seemed so impossible. How could someone go from being so close that our shoulders nearly touched to being that far away? On the other side of the park? And why did she not smile when she passed by me but was now laughing at me from a distance? Holy smoke...

Because I did not want this "situation" to escalate into anything, I waited until we were a few more feet up the trail out of her view before saying anything to my husband. I asked him, "Did you see that girl?" He said "What girl?" And I said, "That girl that just passed by us! That girl that came out of the bushes and went past us! She's dressed all in black! Didn't you see her??" He simply said, "No".  I freaked. I was quiet but I was freaking out. I told him that a young woman had just passed by us so closely that she nearly brushed up against us and when I looked back at her, she was suddenly clear over on the other side of the park sitting on a picnic table. No matter how agile or athletic I don't care, it would be impossible for anyone to be as fast as she just was. I made my husband stop. I mean, I seriously asked him how he could not have seen her. And to further complicate things, our dog didn't seem to notice her either and well, he was always very friendly with people, never one to pass up an opportunity to sniff someone and wag his tail to beg for an ear to be scratched or his sides rubbed. That day, he did no such begging. I wanted to go home. So, we abruptly ended our walk and returned to the car. As we left the parking lot I had a clear view of things; the girl was no longer sitting on that picnic table and nowhere else to be seen. Gone. And to this day it bothers me to know that I saw someone that either did not exist or whose appearance could not be seen by anyone else. At least not on that Halloween.

Ever get that scared on Halloween?

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2015, 12:01:36 AM »

Around Halloween one year I was working inside a newly constructed office on the property of a large business complex. My department was among the first to be moved in so we thought it pretty great to have new desks and equipment. It was a very large office and very loud and bustling with workers during the day. Quiet at nite tho, except that sometimes a coworker and I would have to work late and being alone like that in such a large office at nite can easily creep you out.

On one such nite, my coworker got up and just seemed to casually go for a little walk around the entire office. That wasn't like him to do that. He was looking down hallways, up at vents and under desks. He returned to his desk and sat down. Right about then, we both heard a very distinct and long sort of moaning/howling sound. He leaned over and asked if I could hear it and I leaned towards him and said "been hearing it!". We both chuckled and that's when he admitted to why he had taken a walk, he was getting fed up with the moaning/howling and wanted to try finding it's source. We agreed. It was getting on our nerves and just enough to put a little chill down your spine. We were also very curious. So, together we got up and walked around and tried listening and figuring where the howling was coming from but no such luck. Finally, when it happened again the next nite, my coworker reminded me of the construction worker who had fallen to his death during the construction of the building. We heard the moaning and howl again and in the same moment, looked at each other and said "I'm outta here!"  We agreed, we did not want to volunteer to work any more late nites in that place again. And come to find out, no one else did either.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 12:09:08 AM by PrimeTimer » Logged

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2015, 06:20:35 AM »

During the 70's a friend of mine used to take his early skateboard put on a sheet covered in glow in the dark paint and skate board through the cemetery into the local neighborhood and scare the bejesus out of the unexpecting.  Every Halloween he would come gliding down the hill glowing and absolutely terrorize the locals.  It was the spookiest thing I have ever see since most people did not know a out skateboards back then all they saw was a glowing apparition fly along the ground coming at them.  He would take the sheet off  disappear walk back up and wait for the next group of kids.  For years there were ledge nods about the cometary ghost in the area.  To this day I am sure that some of those kids grew up and still won't go near that cemetery on Halloween
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2015, 05:34:55 PM »

I went with my daughter on a Ghostwalk in Milwaukee, WI.  We were on some haunted rail road tracks, they said, I stopped to take pictures.  As I was behind the group ad hurrying to catch up I hear the sound of high heels behind me. I turned to look, no one was there. There was only to high heels sounds clicking along behind me.  I told what ever it was it could not come home with me. And goodbye.  I caught up with our group.  I did not stop anymore to stay behind the group that night

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »