I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:26:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Centers
| | |-+  Rough week last week
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rough week last week  (Read 2858 times)
smartcookie

LMSW

« on: September 28, 2015, 06:43:51 PM »

I am hoping for a better work week this week! Last week, I came to work on Monday and found two patients had passed over the weekend. I am always heartbroken and feel terrible when I have to write " Social work services terminated due to patient demise." It is such a cold way to reflect on a person's life. I have started printing out the patient's obituaries and leaving them in the breakroom for staff. I pray every morning that all my patients are safe and that I won't have to print that dreaded obit.

I am a renal social worker.  I am happy to help answer questions, but please talk to your clinic social worker for specifics on your particular situation.
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 06:49:19 AM »

The one good thing about dialysis you meet good people, the bad thing is a lot die.  I should add I am 64 and while I am not planning to go soon I am older then my father was when he passed so as far as I am concerned I win.  However as Mak Twain said the only sure thing is death and taxes.  I prefer to celebrate the life of those that passed.  I met and became friends with a 84 year old widow who was a joy to know, now I am sad she is gone but I am left with the memories of a fabulous ladies who lived life at full throttle.  She was a joy to know and I will miss her but she lived well and stopped dialysis because she had terminal cancer so she died well.  84 with children and grand children who adored her,drove her self to dialysis even when she was down at the shore.  Depressed she's gone no, sorry yes but she was such a positive person I think she would want us to remember her fondly and celebrate her life.
smartcookie

LMSW

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 07:01:42 AM »

Of course, you are right, Michael. It is hard to see the empty chair and to cross them off my list, but I try my best to remember the good things.  Both patients were kind and loving. They both worked hard to be compliant and loved being with family. Heaven gained two angels as far as I am concerned!

I am a renal social worker.  I am happy to help answer questions, but please talk to your clinic social worker for specifics on your particular situation.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 08:12:49 AM »

I'm sorry to hear this, smartcookie.  ESRD takes is toll in so many ways on so many people.  Printing out the obits of your patients for the staff is a very nice gesture!

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »