I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 07:32:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Unfavorable Outcomes for Dialysis Patients Reaching the Part D Coverage Gap
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Unfavorable Outcomes for Dialysis Patients Reaching the Part D Coverage Gap  (Read 2659 times)
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« on: September 28, 2015, 05:59:39 AM »

http://www.ajmc.com/newsroom/unfavorable-outcomes-for-dialysis-patients-reaching-the-part-d-coverage-gap

Unfavorable Outcomes for Dialysis Patients Reaching the Part D Coverage Gap

The American Journal of Managed Care
Published Online: September 27, 2015

Laura Joszt

Medicare beneficiaries undergoing dialysis who reach the Part D coverage gap have unfavorable clinical and economic outcomes, according to a study published in the Journal of Managed Care & Specialty Pharmacy.

Researchers analyzed data from the United States Renal Data System for Medicare-eligible patients receiving dialysis in order to determine the relationship between the Part D prescription drug cost-sharing structure and health and economic outcomes. They found that reaching the Part D coverage gap increased out-of-pocket spending, increased medical service utilization and costs, and increased mortality.

“In Medicare populations, the coverage gap has been associated with reduced medication adherence, likely because beneficiaries adopt cost-lowering strategies when entering the coverage gap,” the authors wrote.

In particular, beneficiaries with end-stage renal disease (ESRD) are at risk of facing high out-of-pocket costs and 60% of Part D enrollees on dialysis who did not receive a low-income subsidy reached the coverage gap in 2007, according to a previous study.

The investigators categorized patients into 4 different cohorts:
Cohort 1: non–low-income subsidy patients who did not reach the coverage gap and paid less than $799 in out-of-pocket costs
Cohort 2: non–low-income subsidy patients who reached the coverage gap and paid more than $799 but less than $3850 in out-of-pocket costs
Cohort 3: non–low-income subsidy patients who reached the coverage gap and paid $3850 or more in out-of-pocket costs
Cohort 4: low-income subsidy patients who did not reach the coverage gap

Patients in the 3 cohorts without a low-income subsidy (main cohorts) were older and more likely to be white. Patients in these main cohorts compared to the low-income subsidy cohort had higher rates of hospitalization, outpatient visits, and longer days in hospital.

Although there were no significant differences in total medical costs for patients in the 4 cohorts, patients in Cohorts 1, 2, and 3 had significantly higher hospitalization costs compared with Cohort 4. Additionally, Cohorts 1, 2, and 3 had a 15%, 19%, and 33% increased risk of all-cause death, respectively, compared with patients in Cohort 4.

“These findings raise concern that the lack of drug coverage could lead to adverse health consequence for financially vulnerable persons,” the authors concluded. “Providing adequate coverage for critical medications could reduce unintended consequences in Medicare beneficiaries on dialysis.”

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 10:58:10 AM »

What really annoys me if the republican creators of this mess had allowed Medicare to negotiate lower prices the costs of the program would have been lowered so that the donut hole would not need to exist. The way this idiot plan is configured allows big pharma to extort huge amounts of money from the Medicare system.  I order from overseas to avoid this mess.
smartcookie

LMSW

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 06:30:01 PM »

I battle this all the time. It is hard to find cost saving patient assistance programs for my patients since Medicare is a government insurance. Patient Assistive Network Foundation works great for these parents who cannot afford sensipar. Renassist is good for renvela. If anyone is having trouble affording medicines, let me know and I will be happy to help!

I am a renal social worker.  I am happy to help answer questions, but please talk to your clinic social worker for specifics on your particular situation.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »