I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 10, 2024, 05:16:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Travelling Across The USA, by train!!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Travelling Across The USA, by train!!  (Read 3196 times)
JW77

« on: September 26, 2015, 02:20:32 PM »

My partner came across this blog article, and said 'could we do this with you on dialysis'

http://dereklow.co/across-the-usa-by-train-for-just-213/

My thoughts would be, yes we could afford the travel, but what about dialysis, checking in at various units, or even with a semi portable machine.. The cost of treatments would be high, even before insurance!

So  are we both crazy or would you consider it a challenge.?

Long before I met my girl I had a trip across the US planned, with tickets booked, insurance, and I had a flights, people to see.  Typical of our condition I fell very ill a week before travel was due, I had a transplant at that time...

James
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 04:05:42 PM by JW77 » Logged

Creator of London Kidney Social: https://www.facebook.com/groups/LondonKidneySocial/

Medical stuff, includes 3 kidneys, cancer, meningitis, 1 heart attack and its long and not that interesting! Maybe one day I'll write a book.! `

I have an eclectic taste in music, I fly kites, I read, write, tog, blog and have a bit of a passion for multicellular eukaryotes, and kites.

Founder of Kites4Kidneys - Start making your kites for WKD 2015..
https://www.facebook.com/kites4kidneys
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2015, 05:14:19 PM »

I've been thinking about doing from Portland or Seattle to Glacier national Park, or the California to Colorado section he did.  Portland to Glacier is only 19 hours so I could do it between treatments.  I don't know if I would want to spend days going from Chicago across the Plains to Colorado that seems sort of boring.

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
Alex C.

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2015, 01:10:46 PM »

I've been thinking about doing from Portland or Seattle to Glacier national Park, or the California to Colorado section he did.  Portland to Glacier is only 19 hours so I could do it between treatments.  I don't know if I would want to spend days going from Chicago across the Plains to Colorado that seems sort of boring.

Actually, Chicago to Denver is an overnight, and takes only about 15 hours. The rails there are very fast.
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2015, 03:18:42 PM »

My partner came across this blog article, and said 'could we do this with you on dialysis'

http://dereklow.co/across-the-usa-by-train-for-just-213/

My thoughts would be, yes we could afford the travel, but what about dialysis, checking in at various units, or even with a semi portable machine.. The cost of treatments would be high, even before insurance!

So  are we both crazy or would you consider it a challenge.?

Long before I met my girl I had a trip across the US planned, with tickets booked, insurance, and I had a flights, people to see.  Typical of our condition I fell very a week before travel was due, I had a transplant at that time...

James

What a great article.

If I had the time and money, I'd love to take a cross-country train trip.
Get a sleeper cabin and bring a NxStage for on-board hemodialysis?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2JROHySSfo
Sounds good to me.
 :beer1;
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 03:34:34 PM by Zach » Logged

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 12:49:27 AM »

Sounds like a lot of fun to me too. One of you do it and let me know. Altho, next summer we are planning to go to LA for a couple of days. Only about 60 miles away and there is lots to see/ If you all have a good trip then I would wnat to go to the East Coast the next year.

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »