I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 10, 2024, 01:23:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Bob's Blog 9-5-15: Pee, as in PLEASE!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bob's Blog 9-5-15: Pee, as in PLEASE!  (Read 4591 times)
BobN

« on: September 05, 2015, 02:03:04 AM »

Bob Here.

As I was rat-a-tatting away at the keyboard, working on this blog, a picture of my mother suddenly flashed in front of me.

Now, this was not just a random wandering of the mind, although I am inflicted with those at an alarmingly increasing frequency these days.

It was as if Mom was actually standing at the side of my desk.  What made it doubly realistic is that she was wagging her finger with a look of severe disapproval, a situation I found myself in quite often as a youth.

As an adult too, for that matter.

I could also hear her voice quite clearly.

She was saying, "Robert (I was only Robert when I was in trouble), do you really think the act of excreting is an appropriate subject for a public blog??"

I mean, this was so real, I found myself answering her.

"Mom, this is about dialysis.  Dialysis patients talk about peeing all the time.  Usually in the past tense.  When you come right down to it, peeing is right at the forefront of why we have to go through these crappy treatments..."

She said, "Crappy?  Oh, so now we're using foul words to discuss your excrement story, are we?"

I tried to ply Imaginary-Mom with my smile, which historically only had a remote chance of being effective.

"Well, I was only trying to be consistent.  Get it?  Crappy...excrement...ha ha ha..."

Imaginary-Mom then just gave me her best "Where Did I Go Wrong?" look and continued berating.

"Why don't you talk about your grandchildren instead?"

I thought of a real smart-ass remark about changing diapers, but I kept that to myself.

Anyway, after concluding my imaginary discussion with my imaginary mother, I thought about it, and although peeing is not a subject that you'd likely find much about if you were perusing, say, Ladies' Home Journal, but for a dialysis blog, it's fair game, baby.

When I was first dealing with kidney failure, I really didn't know too much about it.

But, as I was learning the ropes, a few of the many conversations I had with doctors and other medical professionals stand out in my mind.

Including the one that included the cataclysmic revelation about peeing.

I remember the words as if they were just spoken to me yesterday, rather than a quarter century ago.

"In addition to everything else we've discussed, your urine output will likely diminish and, in time, stop completely."

I had been putting on a show of listening up until then.  I have this inborn aversion to being lectured, and when you first start dialysis, you're subjected to a lot of lectures.  But that last part really perked up my ears.

"How's that again?" I asked this kidney doctor whose name I forgot instantly after he introduced himself.

He looked a little flummoxed.

"Yes, well, as the kidneys produce urine, frequently kidney failure patients will...um...stop urinating."

I thought about this for a minute. 

Then I said, "I'm out."

"What?"

"Yep, this is no good for me.  Kidney failure.  Forget the whole thing."

"Uh...well..."

I said, "Hey, I mean it.  Potential trouble for your heart and lungs, fluid restrictions.  A diet consisting of bread and water.  I can handle all those.  But not peeing?  Nobody said anything about not peeing."

"Well, I mean, it's not like there's a lot of choice in the matter."

"Forget it.  I've seen every doctor east of the Mississippi.  In addition to nurses, social workers, nutritionists, therapists.  Everybody short of the guy who mops the floors.  And nobody said anything about not being able to pee."

"Well, we haven't had time to go over all the effects of renal disease..."

"You'd think that'd be the one they start with.  You know, something like, 'Oh, by the way, kidney failure means you won't be able to pee.  The rest is all details.'  Something like that.  You people ought to get your priorities straightened out."

The guy looked completely stumped on what to say next.

I continued to give him a hard time until he just got up and left in frustration.  I had a feeling later that he had a lot more he wanted to tell me, but I got hung up on the whole concept of eventually not being able to pee.

It may not seem like a big deal to non-dialysis patients, but peeing is one of those things you don't think about very often until you don't do it anymore.

And then, let's be honest, we think about it a lot.

And we don't think in medical terms either.

You know, the body's main way of clearing blood impurities and excess fluid, blah, blah, blah...

No, peeing is a way more meaningful part of our lives to be described away by something that sounds like you read it off of Web MD.

I mean, when you have normal kidney function and you go to pee, you're in command.  You go at your own pace.  At a place of your choosing.

Well, okay, if you've had a few and you let loose on your neighbor's rhododendron because he made too much noise last weekend, that's another story.

But otherwise, you're able to take care of business.  No machines, no needles, no tubes, no alarms, no cramping, no nausea, no itching, no ridiculous diet.

It's like, one and done.

Now, however, it's WAY more complicated.

Normally you wouldn't normally think of urination as being a great conversation starter, but it's surprising the kinds of questions that arise once the subject springs up.

We were at a party a long time ago, seated at a table and a person who I would describe as a casual acquaintance broke with the regular party banter and dropped this bombshell in the middle of the room.

"So Bob," she said.  "I hear that people on dialysis don't urinate.  What's that like?"

My wife was, of course, with me and immediately sensed big trouble on the horizon, because 1)  She knew I hated parties, didn't want to be there, and was in something of a raw mood and 2)  She also knew I generally didn't like discussing dialysis with strangers and had little patience for what I called "DDQ's," or "Dumb Dialysis Questions."

She muttered an "Oh boy" under her breath and also saw fit to dig her fingernails into my thigh under the table with the underlying message of "Don't Make a Scene."

But I warded off the pain and answered calmly.  "Oh, it's not too bad," I said.

Everyone at the table was now staring, waiting for me to expand on that.  The wife looked like she was internally debating whether she should throw up, excuse herself and look for the quickest way out of town, or just grit her teeth and bear it.

"There are actually some advantages," I continued.  "You can take long drives without having to stop."

Everyone just nodded a little.

"You never miss the good part of a movie because of a wizz-emergency..."

A little laughter and a couple of people looking like they wished they were somewhere else.

"And maybe the best thing."  I paused.  The wife had bloody murder in her eyes.  "Whenever someone wants to know who peed in their pool, I'm never a prime suspect!" I said gleefully.

At that point, the wife broke in and desperately tried to change the subject.  "Hah hah, very good honey.  So, didn't they do a great job with the landscaping back here?"

The great majority of folks, however, understand that not peeing means more than going a long time between bathroom breaks.

I remember the first time I was relating the possible consequences of kidney failure to someone I knew.  His reaction was classic.

You know, I was going through the most dire possibilities and he was just nodding with a hint of understanding the gravity of each.

I said, "I mean, if you don't watch your fluid intake, fluid could build up in your lungs."

<Nod Nod>

"And if you don't watch your potassium intake between treatments, it could actually stop your heart."

<Nod Nod>

"And if too many impurities build up in your system, you could just die outright."

<Nod Nod>

"And, a lot of dialysis patients stop urinating..."

"Wait a minute," he said.  "You stop what?"

"Urinating.  You know.  Peeing..."

"You don't pee??  Seriously, you don't pee??"

I said, "Well no.  But what about all those other things I told you about?"

"Yeah, those are bad.  But not peeing?  Man that's serious."

Anyway, all this talk about peeing brought to mind one of my favorite peeing jokes.

This guy and his wife go to the doctor.  The doctor takes the husband first and asks how he's doing.

"Just great," he says.  "I feel good and I'm still in control of my bowels and bladder.  In fact, when I get up to pee at night, the good Lord turns the light on for me."  The doctor just nods.

Later, the doctor has the wife and asks how she's feeling.  "Just great, no issues at all."

The doctor says, "Good.  But your husband said something about the good Lord turning the light on for him when he gets up at night to pee..."

"Oh no," says the wife.  "He's peeing in the refrigerator again."

That one always cracks me up.  I used to wonder if that fate awaited all of us, but for dialysis patients...

Well.  You know.

Thanks for reading.  Take care.

www.bobnortham.com
Author of The ABC's of the Big D: My Life on Dialysis
Bob's Prescription for Living With Dialysis:
Follow Your Recommended Diet and Especially Watch Your Potassium, Phosphorous, and Fluid.
Stay Active - Find a Form of Exercise You Like and DO IT!!
Laugh Every Chance You Get.
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2015, 02:39:18 AM »

Thanks again Bob for your wonderful and witty thoughts... :grouphug;
... I am just in the process to collect and observe my 24-hour-amount of "output"
and I also continue to drink regularly a cup of peppermint-tea, which "inspires" my regular output despite dialysis...
Thanks again Bob for your thoughts and best wishes from Kristina. :grouphug;

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
casper2636

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2015, 08:21:41 AM »

It never dawned on me how much time I spent in the bathroom peeing, until I stopped. Frees up hours in a day. No more leg crossing, dancing, or feeling like I'll just pop. My family runs in and out of the bathroom all day long (big believers of cleansing the body with water and drink tons, to my envy!). Yes, Bob, you have found the one highlight to kidney failure! I needed something to put a positive spin on this situation! I'll remember this on my bad days.
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2015, 07:53:20 PM »

:rofl;     Since he does home-hemo, guess I could say my husband "goes" for over three hours at a time.

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2015, 02:14:46 PM »

Okay, this was the best blog EVER!!!! Personally, I am looking forward to not getting up in the middle of the night because of the pain in my bladder. Thanks a million Bob, this made my day.

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2015, 06:41:07 PM »

:rofl;     Since he does home-hemo, guess I could say my husband "goes" for over three hours at a time.
Funny how NxStage promo materials would let you think you have 2 - 2.5 hour sessions, but many of us run more like 3.5.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 01:44:20 PM by Simon Dog » Logged
Vt Big Rig

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2015, 04:13:50 AM »

Funny how NxStage promo materials would let you think you have 2 - 2.5 hour sessions, but many of us rum more like 3.5.

Not to mention the set up, prime,and "breakdown" time!!!!!

VT Big Rig
Diagnosed - October 2012
Started with NxStage - April 2015
6 Fistula grams in 5 months,  New upper fistula Oct 2015, But now old one working fine, until August 2016 and it stopped, tried an angio, still no good
Started on new fistula .
God Bless my wife and care partner for her help
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2015, 08:17:01 AM »

Which is nothing compared to doing this stuff on the BabyK.   I previously had a BabyK on an every other day schedule, and the total time it took was at least what NxStage takes on a 5 day schedule.
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2015, 01:07:35 PM »

Funny how NxStage promo materials would let you think you have 2 - 2.5 hour sessions, but many of us rum more like 3.5.

Yes, I've been known to have a breakdown or two. Oh...you were probably talking about the machine and cleanup. 

Took a real whiz to invent the cycler. And then they approved of peeing under the cloak of darkness...and in your own bed no less!  ::)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 01:10:42 PM by PrimeTimer » Logged

I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
Angiepkd

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2015, 09:04:04 PM »

Too funny and very true!  When I wasn't peeing, I thought about it a lot, often feeling like I still had to "go".  My friends were amazed at someone who didn't pee, and I was the best road trip partner around.  After my transplant, I was obsessed with pee - color, amount, etc.  Odd that something most people don't think twice about becomes so important to us!  :rofl;

PKD diagnosis at 17
Cancer May 2011, surgery and no further treatment but placed on 2 year wait for transplant
October 2011 first fistula in left wrist
April 2012 second fistula in upper arm, disconnect of wrist
January 2013, stage 5 ESRD
March 2013 training with NxStage home hemo
April 2013 at home with NxStage
April 2013 fistula revision to reduce flow
May 2013 advised to have double nephrectomy, liver cyst ablation and hernia repair. Awaiting insurance approval to begin transplant testing. Surgery in June.
June 2013 bilateral nephrectomy.
August 2013 finishing testing for transplant, 4 potential donors being tissue typed.
January 2014 husband approved to donate kidney for me
March 4th 2014 received transplant from awesome hubby. Named the new bean FK (fat kidney) lol!  So far we are doing great!
BobN

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2015, 01:16:44 PM »

Thanks everyone.  Once again...stay dry. **wink wink**

www.bobnortham.com
Author of The ABC's of the Big D: My Life on Dialysis
Bob's Prescription for Living With Dialysis:
Follow Your Recommended Diet and Especially Watch Your Potassium, Phosphorous, and Fluid.
Stay Active - Find a Form of Exercise You Like and DO IT!!
Laugh Every Chance You Get.
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2015, 09:38:27 PM »

This reminded me of a story.  As we all know, our bodies talk to us when something is wrong, and I think those of us with chronic kidney disease have learned how to listen.  I know i have.  A few years ago, my body was telling me that I had an infection.  I could feel it.  Since it was a weekend, and there were no clinics open, off to the ER I went.  The nurse goes through all the info with me, vitals, meds, and that I'm a dialysis patient.  Then she asked for a urine sample.

"I can't give you one."  I tell her.
"Oh, did you just go?"  She asks.
"No," I say, "i'm a dialysis patient.  I don't pee."  She gave me an odd look.
"So, how do you get rid of fluid?"  She asks
"Dialysis."  This is when she starts to laugh.
"I knew that," she said.

Even medical professionals can have brain farts, I guess

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2015, 07:38:31 PM »

I am on PD a bit over two years.  Kidneys a hair below 6%.

I still P, just not very much.  But having two liters of fluid in me even just a little urine in a bladder constantly under the pressure of always holding that two liters of dialysate makes a LOT of pressure and I have to go like RIGHT NOW, only maybe to make a quarter of a cup.
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2015, 10:40:33 PM »

It took 3 years on PD for me to stop completely.  In the end, it was only a little dribble.  I'd take pee breaks at work just to get away from my desk, knowing full well that no peeing would be done

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2015, 02:52:22 PM »

It took 3 years on PD for me to stop completely.  In the end, it was only a little dribble.  I'd take pee breaks at work just to get away from my desk, knowing full well that no peeing would be done
You may have just answered the mystery behind people who seem to stand around over in the next bathroom stall at the office. 

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »