I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:00:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Medicare/Insurance
| | |-+  International Travel well on Medicare (primary) plus secondary insurance?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: International Travel well on Medicare (primary) plus secondary insurance?  (Read 2508 times)
iolaire
Elite Member

« on: June 30, 2015, 11:42:09 AM »

I’ll be at 30 months on Dialysis sometime in 2016 and will move from my employers insurance as primary to Medicare.  At this point my employers insurance has reimbursed 100% of dialysis costs in other countries when I submit what I self paid.  I’m wondering what’s going to happen when Medicare becomes primary.

I know Medicare pays nothing out of the US. 

Does anyone have any experience with this; will my private insurance cover what Medicare doesn’t?  Also do I have the same deductibles (co-pays) on my private insurance when it picks up after Medicare?

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 01:15:26 PM »

The only answer that counts is the one from your insurance company - contact them in a form that leaves a written trail of their answer, as it could get expensive if they tell you that you "misunderstood".

With my policy, I pay the same deductibles as if not on medicare, with the employer policy paying on the 20% until what's left over is what I would have paid pre-medicare.   I don't know if I would be reimbursed for out of country, as I have no experience with that.

I thought you were some sort of wealthy power broker being able to afford all those international treatments .... I guess that illusion has been dispelled  ;D
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 02:04:57 PM by Simon Dog » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »