I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 11:39:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Off-Topic: Talk about anything you want.
| | |-+  Decoration Day aka Memorial Day
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Decoration Day aka Memorial Day  (Read 2553 times)
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« on: May 25, 2015, 06:59:02 PM »

Bit of trivia...today is Memorial Day. It was originally called "Decoration Day" back in 1868 and made official by General John Logan, the National Commander of the Grand Army of the Republic. Fast forward to 1971 and it was renamed "Memorial Day" and instead of being observed on May 5th, it was decided that it would be moved to the last Monday in May. At that point, it became more about BBQ's, store sales and having a 3-day weekend off from work. Guess that's why I don't see those red poppies anymore..

:usaflag; Today, I remember and honor the great warriors who made the ultimate sacrifice and keep their families in my thoughts.   
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 09:20:04 PM by PrimeTimer » Logged

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 07:13:15 PM »

:usaflag; Today, I remember and honor the great warriors who made the ultimate sacrifice and keep their families in my thoughts.

:usaflag;

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 01:24:15 AM »

:usaflag;

:usaflag;  :waving;

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 08:47:32 AM »

Guess that's why I don't see those red poppies anymore..

I thought the wearing of poppies was a European thing?  Do most Americans know what they represent?

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2015, 09:56:26 AM »

I pick up a new 'Poppy' every year from the Disabled American Veterans while at the VA Hosp for my Dr appt.  I put it on the breast pocket flap button-hole  and leave it there until lit falls apart.  Takes most of the year, but I hope everyone that sees it recognises it and at least gives a passing thought to the men and women that have sacrificed for THEM.

I still have a hard time seeing how public opinion has finally changed.  The attitude of Honor and Respect now that those of us of the Vieit Nam Era never saw.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »