I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2024, 09:48:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Hair-loss because of anti-coagulant?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hair-loss because of anti-coagulant?  (Read 7719 times)
kristina
Member for Life

« on: April 27, 2015, 04:16:40 AM »

Hello,
I am concerned about the amount of hair-loss I am having. 
I have had fifty-nine sessions of haemodialysis and the hair-loss still continues.
When I brush my hair the brush is quite full of hair, far beyond my pre-dialysis-days.
For the first forty-seven dialysis-sessions I was being given the anticoagulant “Heparin” for the main dialysis.
On mentioning my hair-loss at this stage, I was told it could be the “Heparin”, so it was changed to the anticoagulant “Tinzapalin”.
But after 12 dialysis-sessions with the new anticoagulant "Tinzapalin", my hair still falls out and I don’t know
whether this will get better in time with this new anticoagulant?
I have noticed that the nurses always use a small amount of anticoagulant
when they prepare the lines (to avoid a clot in the Tesio-line).
This I think is still a little bit of “Heparin” but as it is only to do with the preparation of the line,
I wonder whether this still could have an effect on my hair-loss and I wonder if other IHD-members have any experiences with this?
I also wonder if it could be a combination of the anticoagulant and the brushing of my hair?
(My hair is very long, almost down to my waist).
Thank you from Kristina.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 04:23:08 AM by kristina » Logged

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Athena

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 05:15:36 AM »

Kristiina, have you had your thyroid checked out recently? A relative has had quite pronounced hair loss and this has coincided with a thyroid disorder diagnosis. There are many things that can lead to hair loss but it sounds like it's not a coincidence that it seemed to start with the start of dialysis ... Hope your doctors work it out soon.

Find Cure for CKD now! Please like my facebook page of the same name. Thank you.
jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 09:45:12 AM »

Your hair is probably falling out because dialysis is not the most healthy state for your body. Your hair is often one of the first things to show body stress. There is really nothing to do that I found. With long hair, it will be even longer until things come to equilibrium. It could be 6 months to a year until you find how thick your hair will be now. I find short hair easier but of course you should keep your hair however you want. I am glad I started with really thick hair so now mine still looks normal and not thin. I'm lucky that way.
noahvale
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 10:49:02 AM »

« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 07:51:09 AM by noahvale » Logged
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 12:09:55 PM »

Thank you Athena, jeannea and noahvale for your kind thoughts which are very much appreciated.
I have just checked-up on my last few blood-tests and my serum-albumin level is fairly constant with 38-39g/L
and seems to be within the normal range, even though it is a bit on the low side (normal range here is from 35-50 g/L).
I shall ask my consultant and dietician and about this a.s.a.p. and I shall also try to find out about my thyroid-  and my Zink-levels.
... I guess this is just one of quite a few difficulties caused by dialysis and new medications...
Thanks again from Kristina.

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2015, 11:32:26 AM »

P.S.
Last week I saw the doctor and special blood-tests were ordered to find out what is going on...
... it could also be the shock my body went through when I started dialysis that causes my current hair-loss...
...  fortunately my hair is still quite full, so my current hair-loss does not show yet ...
... but I am very glad that I started "the ball rolling" to find out what is going on ...
Thanks again from Kristina. :grouphug;

-   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2015, 08:21:54 AM »

Kristina, you have such beautiful hair so I can understand why you'd be concerned.

As jeannea said, much can be seen about one's general health in their hair.  Dialysis is a shock to the body.  I experienced hair loss after major surgery but it grew back.  I also experienced hair loss from the immunosuppressants.  I tried every supplement and hair restorer, but nothing really helped.  However, my hair did eventually grow back to some degree, but it's not like it was before, which is just as well as I've always had rather a lot of it.

In the end, I had it cut in a shorter style than usual, and it made a remarkable difference.  You've seen it; it's not drastically short!  I know how much you love your long hair, and I would never encourage you to cut it, rather, I'm just relating my own experience. 

Do let us know the results of your blood work.  Hopefully your doctor can suggest some things that might help.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2015, 02:00:56 PM »

Thank you for your kind words MooseMom,
It is quite true, starting with dialysis was a great shock to my whole system and perhaps my body is still in shock...
...I do hope my hair-loss might get better and I am not quite sure if some hair-treatment could help.
... Perhaps the results of my latest blood tests give some answers....
Thanks again from Kristina.

-   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2015, 01:45:53 AM »

P.S. I have asked the doctor about my hair-loss and they thought it might be a phase my body goes through
because of the shock to my body caused by my starting dialysis... the doctor also thought it might calm down after a little while  ...

-   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2015, 09:11:29 PM »

I'ts been six years since I started Hemo.  When I first started, my hair fell out by the handfuls.  I was told that it was probably from anesthetic (I started because of peritonitis, and had more than a few surgeries related to my PD cath in the beginning) and heparin used both on the machine, and what was used to lock the line.  They started using sodium citrate in my line, but it didn't make a difference.  Six years later, I'm no longer using the line because I have a fistula, but my hair is incredibly thin and still falls out.

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2015, 01:48:52 AM »

Hello Riki and many thanks for sharing your ezperiences.
I am very sorry that you hair has become incredibly thin and I do hope it soon picks up and grows back again.
Have you talked with your neph and your dietician about it and what did they say?
I was told that in my case it was the shock-reaction of my body-system to dialysis, which I started ~ 5 months ago
and right now there are signs that the shock plus hair-loss has just started to improve again.
Mind you, I am seriously thinking of having my hair cut to a reasonable size,
because having such long hair seems a bit unpractical whilst being on dialysis...
I do send you my kind regards and hope your hair improves very soon as well.
Best wishes from Kristina and thanks again. :grouphug;

-   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2015, 07:01:38 PM »

I've never really asked, but I'm not overly concerned... I"m not really all that vain... but I've been able to grow a pretty good beard since I was about 14.. thought it was due to the antirejection meds that I started back then... but since I haven't been on any in about 10 years, and I still have the facial hair, I don't think that's the problem.. I'm figuring I have some kind of hormonal imbalance that is causing the hair on my face to grow and the hair on my head not to...

PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2015, 01:29:38 AM »

I've never really asked, but I'm not overly concerned... I"m not really all that vain... but I've been able to grow a pretty good beard since I was about 14.. thought it was due to the antirejection meds that I started back then... but since I haven't been on any in about 10 years, and I still have the facial hair, I don't think that's the problem.. I'm figuring I have some kind of hormonal imbalance that is causing the hair on my face to grow and the hair on my head not to...

Hello again Riki,
Thanks again for your kind reply. Fortunately I have never had any issue with facial hair,
but there again, I have never been on any anti-rejection-medication either...
... Thanks for all your information, it is very much appreciated and it certainly prepares me for "times to come...".
... Fortunately my hair-loss is on the mend right now and I do hope it stays like that...

-   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2015, 01:16:30 AM »

Riki, were you ever on cyclosporin? I got so hairy all over. Even my stomach and back were pretty fuzzy. But that was years ago. I still have too much facial hair but I blame steroids. The hair on my head isn't as thick as it was but I have no bald spots so I'm good. But that cyclosporin was a really hairy experience.
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2015, 08:39:08 PM »

Riki, were you ever on cyclosporin? I got so hairy all over. Even my stomach and back were pretty fuzzy. But that was years ago. I still have too much facial hair but I blame steroids. The hair on my head isn't as thick as it was but I have no bald spots so I'm good. But that cyclosporin was a really hairy experience.

I was, both times, but I haven't been on any antirejection meds in over 10 years, well, since my last kidney failed in 2004.  I've kind of gotten used to it.  When it bugs me, I take it off with Nair.

PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
dialysisuser82

« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2015, 07:30:50 AM »

Yep, thinning hair is one of the inevitable problem with kidney failure!

If your BP is high then you can try Rogaine Shampoo and conditioner.  The benefit of Rogaine will lower your BP and regain hair loss. 

However you once you'll stop using this product you're back to square one, i.e. Your scalp is visible!

"the truth will set you free."
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2015, 08:46:30 AM »

Thank you dialysisuser82  for your kind thoughts.
... I was told that after changing from "Heparin" to "Toxicycline",
there is still another option I can try out and to explore this possibility further,
I shall see the doctor at my dialysis-center to find out what can be done...
Fortunatley my hair-loss has become much, much better and it is also not visible yet
because my hair is naturally still very thick.

-   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2015, 11:41:25 AM »

P.S.
I have just been researching on "old" IHD threads and have found some other members
who also have had similar problems with hair loss ...
One of the explanations is that Heparim should be changed to Fragmin or Dalteparin and/or to Citric Acid?
Another member mentioned Rogaine Shampoo & conditioner ... & another member mentioned Lamons/Bergemot against hair loss...
... and another explanation is that some vegetarians struggle with not getting enough protein in their vegetarian diet
... & not eating enough protein can also contribute to hair loss ...
Thanks agian from Kristina.  :grouphug;

-   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Deanne
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2015, 12:56:51 PM »

It's been a while since you originally posted about the problem. Is it continuing to get worse or has it stabilized?

Deanne

1972: Diagnosed with "chronic kidney disease" (no specific diagnosis)
1994: Diagnosed with FSGS
September 2011: On transplant list with 15 - 20% function
September 2013: ~7% function. Started PD dialysis
February 11, 2014: Transplant from deceased donor. Creatinine 0.57 on 2/13/2014
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2015, 01:50:46 PM »

Thank you Deanne,
... sometimes my hair loss seems to be getting better - and then suddenly it gets worse again ...
... I have informed the dialysis-nurses on several occassions about my hair loss and every time I have mentioned it,
they looked at my hair and because my hair loss does not "loudly" show yet,
my problem with hair loss is not taken as seriously as it should be by the dialysis nurses ...
... What really disturbs me most about this hair loss is that when I am eating and one or two hairs fall into my food...
 ... I realize then every time that I do have a serious problem with hair loss and it really should be sorted out urgently,
but unfortunately I don't get help from the dialysis nurses and the doctors at the dialysis center only see emergencies
and my hair loss - as you can well imagine - is not being considered as an emergency...
... and that is the reason why I could not see a doctor about it yet...
... even so there might be a serious medical problem behind it and it shows in my hair loss ...

-   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
OlManRivah

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2015, 05:03:18 PM »

I'm having some hair loss.  My wife thinks it's the shampoo I'm using.  I still have to shave darn it.       :Kit n Stik;

Country boys can survive!
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2015, 12:35:16 AM »

Hello OlManRivah, (lovely name !)
Thanks for your kind reply. Are you by any chance a vegetarian?
A dietician has suggested that my hair loss might be due to my strict vegetarian diet
and that I may not be getting enough protein... ?
Best wishes from Kristina. :grouphug;

-   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
skinnacat

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2015, 09:36:00 AM »

Wow can a person really be a strict vegetarian on dialysis??
My nutritionist and nephrologist say i have to eat lots and lots of protein every single day. they want me to eat like 4 ounces of real protein
(like pork, beef and chicken) at every meal to keep my albumin at 4.0 They say if it falls to much i have a much higher risk of dying.
Seems to be a pretty big deal at my clinic, like i can never eat to much protein. I am on pd dialysis but form what i understand u have to eat
quite a bit of protein on hemo too. To be quite honest i am way sick of protein, and i love meat but eating it so much gets old after a while.
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2015, 12:42:23 AM »

Hello skinnacat,
... To be honest, I have no idea if it is possible to be a vegetarian on dialysis,
I only try my very best and I also think it would be a bit difficult if I would start to eat meat,
because I have been a strict vegetarian for over 44 years ...
... I shall continue with my kidney-friendly vegetarian diet and hope for the best...
and I send you my kind regards,
Kristina. :grouphug;

-   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »