I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:13:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis
| | |-+  P.I.T.A. Again!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: P.I.T.A. Again!  (Read 2535 times)
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« on: April 25, 2015, 07:29:05 PM »

Beginning to become discouraged with the VA.  Usually they spoil the hell out of me, taking great care of me for everything.  This time, not so much.  Or rather it may be my Primary. Two months ago I had my semi-annual check up with her and while there I showed her my PITA, what may be another pilonidal cyst, or maybe it's just an ingrown hair/boil near there.  She said to just leave it alone, use hot packs to draw it up.  Yeah, right.  It HURT!  and kept growing.  Got almost the size of a chicken egg before it finally vented.  What a mess that was.  But it felt soo much better with the pressure relieved.  She wasn't interested in a fallow up for it, just keep it clean, etc.  That was about six weeks ago.  It's growing back, and it is still very tender from the last time.  She FINALLY made the referral to the Surgery people, I called and made the first available appt,  May 6.  TWO MORE WEEKS.  I got the feeling that I'l be nagging them on the phone by Tuesday to see how to get moved up.

This isn't any fun.

I forgot to mention, this is about the SEVENTH.  I have plenty of experience NOT liking this.  If this was anyplace else on my body that I could see and reach even half comfortably, I would have dealt with it 2 months ago and never told anyone.

PD Nurse is worried about infection possibly spreading.  I'll be seeing her on the first Monday, wonder if she would be willing to drain it?  Doubt it, darn.

EDITED: Moved to PD threads- Kitkatz, Admin
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 10:34:15 PM by kitkatz » Logged
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 12:37:17 AM »

Hello Charlie,
I am sorry what you go through and I do hope the medics sort you out soon.
Perhaps it helps to work closely with the PD nurse, as she has already mentioned her concern about an infection...
Best of luck from Kristina.  :grouphug;

P.S. I had a bit of a job to decipher, with the help of "Mr. Google", what "VA" (Vascular Access?)
and "P.I.T.A." (Internet Slang for Pain in ... ... ?) stand for ...

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 12:45:43 AM »

Shame on your Dr. to put you thru that. I cant imagine how much that must have hurt. Shoot, you dont have enough problems??? My sympathies, hope it gets better/

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 01:19:48 AM »

The pd nurse is worried? Can't she arrange something if she can't drain it herself? Good luck tomorrow honey,

Lots of love, Cas

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2015, 03:42:24 PM »

I would express to them the concern and dangers of a staph infection settling in and spreading, especially being a kidney patient whose immune system is compromised and a diabetic. In other words, throw all the scary (but very real possibilities) their way. And keep checking your temp for any signs of fever. Seriously. You do not want to get staph or have it become MRSA.

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2015, 07:25:32 AM »

Finally, it has started leaking on its own and relieved some pressure so it isn't near as painful as it was.  But it is still a mess in the shorts and an awful wet feeling.  I've cut a gauge pad down to fit within a large band-aid type stick on, so I'm pretty sure I have it contained and somewhat protected from the normal anal bacteria that escapes with passing gas.  That's the bug I often worry about.

Oh, Kristina,  I don't know why buy I tend to think everyone knows the Veterans Administration.  Bad assumption on my part.  They have been great to me ever since I got out of the Army in 75.  It's just a rare time like this it seems the wait to see someone stacks up and it can get irritating when in such pain and discomfort.  It really has been difficult to sit even half comfortable.  Much better now that it has begun leaking.  Sort of like a pressure relief valve.  lol
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2015, 09:16:48 AM »

I have had those cysts and they are so painful.  I had surgery but if I remember right I had to be on antibiotics first.  That is just wrong that doc didn't take care of if in the first place.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »