I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:23:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Back pain
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Back pain  (Read 2257 times)
dublin

« on: April 25, 2015, 11:10:44 AM »

Hi everyone hope you are all well just a quick question OK so for about 3 to 4 months now when i do dialysis 3 times a week at 4 hours my back on the lower side on the right hand side goes numb also pains me foe a while has anyone else had this and when i sneeze for a while now each time i see the silver dots floating by my eyes and yes i know that sounds crazy i have asked about it but they just say it is because of the bed i am on for treatment but i never had this in my old unit which has the same beds also after treatment i have to go to lie down otherwise i get weak legs very weak and a bursting headache any thoughts would be welcome thanks everyone keep safe :cheer: :bandance;
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 01:16:30 PM »

I don't know about the pain and weakness, but seeing 'dots' after sneezing is the sudden spike in blood pressure within the eye can cause blood cells to leak from the small capilaries, and you see them for a few minutes.  Lots of people call them 'floaties'.  I would be more concerned about checking your blood pressure to make sure you stay within 'normal' ranges and not running high during dialysis.

Can you place a pillow under your knees while in bed, or reclined, and relieve a little pressure on your low back?  This may help to reduce the pain and discomfort.

Many bring pillows and blankets to their clinic to get as comfortable as possible.
Sugarlump
Elite Member

10 years on and off dialysis

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 10:58:54 AM »

I had terrible trouble with numbness and stiffness in my lower back and posterior during and after dialysis
Cured it by used an air cushion on chair (Local physiotherapy services gave it to me) Some people also lay or sit on a natural sheepskin which does the same job

And needing to lie down and go to sleep after dialysis isn't unusual  8) I think of it as the body's way of catching up (after all that blood in and out and filtering and altering levels etc)

10 years of half a life
3 years HD 1st transplant Feb 08 failed after 3 months
Back to HD 2nd transplant Dec 10 failed after 11 months
Difficult times with a femoral line and catching MSSA (Thank you Plymouth Hospital)
Back on HD (not easy to do that third time around)
Fighting hard (two years on) to do home HD ... watch this space!
Oh and I am am getting married 1/08/15 to my wonderful partner Drew!!!
The power of optimism over common sense :)
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 02:09:48 AM »

Hi everyone hope you are all well just a quick question OK so for about 3 to 4 months now when i do dialysis 3 times a week at 4 hours my back on the lower side on the right hand side goes numb also pains me foe a while has anyone else had this and when i sneeze for a while now each time i see the silver dots floating by my eyes and yes i know that sounds crazy i have asked about it but they just say it is because of the bed i am on for treatment but i never had this in my old unit which has the same beds also after treatment i have to go to lie down otherwise i get weak legs very weak and a bursting headache any thoughts would be welcome thanks everyone keep safe :cheer: :bandance;

Hello dublin,
I am very sorry about your experiences and I wonder whether your medicines have been changed recently ?
When I started dialysis, I was being put on medicines which did not agree with my body-system and I experienced terrible side-effects,
but the side-effects disappeared, as soon as my medicines were exchanged with other medications,
and the new ones agreed much better with my whole body-system ...
I do hope that your medical problems can be solved by changing your medicines...
Good luck wishes from Kristina. :grouphug;

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
dublin

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 12:33:52 PM »

Hi all thanks for the answers in the clinic i sit on a softies donut shaped cushion maybe i will try it without it just to see the medication i am on now i would say they have not changed any of them in at least 2 years defiantly not some one said it could be from the steroid inhalers i am on since i am on these a fair while now i will ask more questions as well thanks once again keep well  :cheer: :bandance;
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »