I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:19:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Centers
| | |-+  Filing a complaint
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Filing a complaint  (Read 6243 times)
noahvale
« on: April 21, 2015, 03:37:32 PM »

« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 02:21:44 PM by noahvale » Logged
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 06:29:50 PM »

Today, I filed a formal complaint with the Department of Regulatory Services, the governmental agency that oversees dialysis facilities in my state and copied in the ESRD Network.  It had to do with a situation that arose on my shift at the clinic last Sunday night.  I felt just bringing it to the FA's attention, someone who I get along with quite well, wasn't going to keep it from happening again.  Although the center ownership is "not for profit,"  it has contracted with a for profit health systems management company to oversee day to day management and provide staffing for this and its other two dialysis centers.

I'm bringing this up because on numerous occasions I have advised others on IHD with unresolved grievances or complaints with their dialysis centers to contact state surveyors and/or ESRD Networks.  Yet, many choose not to out of fear that the dialysis center administration/floor staff would retaliate in some way.  To those of you, and maybe long time lurkers who are also having problems, I just wanted you to know I do heed my own advice when necessary.  And, I hope more of you will do the same if a situation at your dialysis clinic warrants an intervention.

NoahVale

NoahVale, you're obviously a man of your word. Sorry you found yourself in the unfortunate position of having to file a complaint but, doing what you say and meaning it opposed to people who live their life under the mantra "do as I say, not as I do", says a lot about your character.

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 08:31:00 AM »

Well done!  I hope you get satisfaction.  Thanks for posting this!

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 10:02:38 AM »

Change/improvement rarely occurs until someone has the guts to bring the situation out into the open and MAKE it known.  Cover-up is no longer possible.

Congratulations for having the strength to follow through, most won't, and nothing gets done.  You should see progress this time.

Take Care,

Charlie B
PaulBC

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 10:09:51 AM »

Yet, many choose not to out of fear that the dialysis center administration/floor staff would retaliate in some way.

Are there any formal protections in place? Is anonymity possible? I realize that even an anonymous complaint might be pinned on one individual (correctly or not) so it's understandable that people are reluctant. It's great that you are following your own advice and I hope you get the results you want.
noahvale
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2015, 11:51:29 AM »

^
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 02:22:29 PM by noahvale » Logged
noahvale
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2015, 12:52:01 PM »

« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 02:24:59 PM by noahvale » Logged
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2015, 03:51:30 PM »

Troublemaker.

You must be another of my Brothers from a different Mother!

Never let the Bastards get you down.
PaulBC

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2015, 04:07:51 PM »

As part of your daughter's "welcome to the world of dialysis" packet, there should have been a document entitled "Patient Rights and Responsibilities."

Yes, that sounds familiar. It's been a while since I looked over the original information binder. I'm actually really happy with my daughter's care, but I think there is a world of difference between a pediatric hospital and a typical dialysis center. I'm appalled that anyone could feel intimidated about complaining when it is literally a matter of life and death for them.

Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2015, 04:52:56 PM »

mentioned that under informed consent it was my right to a new dialyzer.
Informed consent does not mean you get what you want, just that you have to consent to what is offered if you want treatment.   Is there a law or policy somewhere giving you the right to a new dialyzer?

FMC uses singlke use dialyzers, but has a policy that patients cannot get a filter other than the 160 or 180 without PPT committee approval that reviews medical need to justify the added expense of the larger filters (the 200 costs $.50 more than the 180; I have no idea of the cost differential for the 250).   When I was on the 2008 machines, my MD told me that there was no way he could get me a 200, but 180 was good enough.

Remember, the CMS standard is that everyone is entitled to "adequate" treatment, not "optimal" or "best" treatment.

I filed a complaint about policy at a center I visited for a transient treatment (105kg and they would only let me have a 160 filter because "it;'s the policy of this clinic").    I submitted a written complaint that was handled politely, professionally and with a positive resolution (denial of wrongdoing combined with a change to the policy)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 04:54:56 PM by Simon Dog » Logged
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2015, 05:38:35 PM »

I have been on dialysis for only 2 years but I have learned that if you don't involve your self in the process and learn as much as you can you are defenseless and at the mercy of the process.  Recently my center moved the entry point for the handicap patients to a area where the patients were going to have to wait in the cold with out any seating available.  they claimed the hospital legal group had approved the placement.  So I called the hospital pr person and told them that I was going to go out and film the handicapped patients waiting in the sub zero cold and post it to u tube.  They moved the area, provided a indoor heated waiting area a had employees waiting to help the patients.  They were glad to fix what would have been a pr disaster and I was happy my fellow patients were waiting in a conditioned space. 
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2015, 10:02:43 AM »

Well played Michael.

It is amazing what the mere thought of pr can bring about.

I am sure all the patients involved noticed the change, and like it.  Even if they never find out why.

Thank you!
PaulBC

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2015, 10:26:14 AM »

Reading these accounts (and I hope I don't sound flippant, because I'm serious) I can't help picturing a "Hollywood Treatment". In my mind, it would probably be something over the top with a patient revolt where everyone holds up their used dialyzer like a torch chanting "We want new ones!" Well... even if it was that bad it might still be good.

It seems like the overall public awareness of kidney disease is so poor (compared to its actual occurrence) that there ought to be more fictional portrayals. I did note the other thread "Re: Movies depicting kidney failure/dialysis". I completely missed (or forget) McCoy's reference to dialysis in Star Trek IV. Gotta rewatch that some time.
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2015, 01:01:32 PM »

A revolt would last 5 days and we would start dropping dead like flies and they know it.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 09:27:44 AM by Rerun » Logged

Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2015, 10:57:43 AM »

A revolt would last 5 days and we would start dropping dead like flyies and they know it.
Only if the clinics denied treatment during the revolt, which would open a very interesting legal can of worms.
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2015, 07:37:34 AM »

Only the Attorneys would stand to win any settlement, we would all be dead and gone.  They would each get a new yaught and house in the Bahamas.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »