I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 07:16:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis
| | |-+  Is Fresenius Changing Saline Supplier?
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is Fresenius Changing Saline Supplier?  (Read 14291 times)
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« on: April 20, 2015, 08:39:03 PM »

Anyone hear or be told that Fresenius is changing their supplier for saline bags? Just wondering. We were also told that they are no longer going to deliver supplies like gauze, tape, syringes, needles, etc to your home anymore and that patients will have to pick up supplies themselves from their centers. They said boxes of saline will still be delivered tho. That's good because saline is heavy.

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
caregivertech1

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 03:41:27 PM »

Our order procedure changed. We now order from the center vs directly from Fresenius. Saline in the same but gloves, alcohol patches, and BD 10cc syringes are different. It's all shipped to us by UPS. Our nurse puts the order in.  Makes little sense to me.
caregivertech1

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 04:12:16 PM »

Upon further review the cases are labeled differently but the individual bags look the same. Who knows?
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 05:59:49 PM »

Our order procedure changed. We now order from the center vs directly from Fresenius. Saline in the same but gloves, alcohol patches, and BD 10cc syringes are different. It's all shipped to us by UPS. Our nurse puts the order in.  Makes little sense to me.
I definitely would NOT want anything delivered by UPS. They knock once (not giving you enough time to even answer the door) and then leave packages at the door, sometimes at the WRONG door/address, outside on the dirty ground and for the whole world to see or...steal and in the elements (scorching heat, freezing temps). Will be bad enough if we have to make extra trips now to the center for supplies but would be even worse if it was delivered by UPS. 

I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
cattlekid
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 08:18:01 AM »

For UPS, I highly recommend My Choice.  It's a service they offer that allows you to know when shipments are arriving and reschedule/reroute or hold at UPS Store or other UPS location.  I use it a lot because I do not like to have packages sit out either and there is a UPS Store a few blocks from home.  Most of their services are free but a couple of them do have a cost.
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2015, 08:44:50 AM »

I definitely would NOT want anything delivered by UPS. They knock once (not giving you enough time to even answer the door) and then leave packages at the door, sometimes at the WRONG door/address, outside on the dirty ground and for the whole world to see or...steal and in the elements (scorching heat, freezing temps). Will be bad enough if we have to make extra trips now to the center for supplies but would be even worse if it was delivered by UPS.

Years ago I received a box of some sort of solution (I think it related to at home Dialysis) that was supposed to be sent to someone I don't know about 1/2 a block away.  The shipping data was very lacking but somehow I figured out where it was supposed to go and brought it over.  I don't know what I would have done if it was a pallet of liquid....

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2015, 12:11:57 PM »

My local clinic has stopped using TruBlue/Fresenius for supplies (including saline), and is now using MMS Pharmacy in TN.  Fresenius has a local warehouse that used to deliver (and allowed will call).   The new procedure sounds like the same system caregivertech1 is using.   I was told that Fresenius was charging itself too much for delivery ($300 per trip), so they elected to use an outside supplier instead of themselves.     The disadvantage is no more inside delivery (UPS only).  The advantage is I don't have to do bi-monthly supply orders but can order any time (via the RN) and, as a result, I don't have to stockpile as much stuff to be certain I don't run out.

On a separate matter, Fresenius stopped home delivery of EPO.   It is now delivered to the clinic, and I pick it up there.

For UPS, I highly recommend My Choice.
+1.

A great free feature is email a day or three before a package arrives, and another once the package has been delivered.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 12:16:10 PM by Simon Dog » Logged
caregivertech1

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2015, 02:05:27 PM »

For UPS, I highly recommend My Choice.  It's a service they offer that allows you to know when shipments are arriving and reschedule/reroute or hold at UPS Store or other UPS location.  I use it a lot because I do not like to have packages sit out either and there is a UPS Store a few blocks from home.  Most of their services are free but a couple of them do have a cost.

Great tip. Thanks.
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2015, 06:49:06 PM »

I'll have to look into "My Choice" if our saline ends up being delivered via UPS (or if anything else is delivered via UPS). Thanks for the tip!

PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2015, 06:51:20 PM »

I'll have to look into "My Choice" if our saline ends up being delivered via UPS (or if anything else is delivered via UPS). Thanks for the tip!

Just an update...the whole issue about saline being delivered via UPS is a moot point. Fresenius now makes us pick it up ourselves at the clinic. And according to a recent post under NxStage Users, Fresenius is also going cheap on syringes and fistula needles. Husband (the patient) is not thrilled about that.

caregivertech1

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2015, 09:48:52 AM »

Wow, can't believe FMC is making patients pick up those heavy cases of Saline. My clinic is still shipping by UPS. Follow your grievous procedure and make some calls up the line...I'll bet they'll start shipping. Just the question asking for these phone numbers goes a long way. It worked for me getting them to order 3/5" needles.
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2015, 05:57:10 PM »

Wow, can't believe FMC is making patients pick up those heavy cases of Saline. My clinic is still shipping by UPS. Follow your grievous procedure and make some calls up the line...I'll bet they'll start shipping. Just the question asking for these phone numbers goes a long way. It worked for me getting them to order 3/5" needles.

I've already asked my husband (the patient) to bring all this up with his Neph and nurse and he refuses. He's afraid to rock the boat with them. Meanwhile, guess he doesn't care that his unwillingness to speak up is rocking MY boat.   :'(

Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2015, 06:58:13 PM »

I've already asked my husband (the patient) to bring all this up with his Neph and nurse and he refuses. He's afraid to rock the boat with them. Meanwhile, guess he doesn't care that his unwillingness to speak up is rocking MY boat.   :'(

:cuddle;

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
Vt Big Rig

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2015, 06:07:57 AM »

Anyone hear or be told that Fresenius is changing their supplier for saline bags? Just wondering. We were also told that they are no longer going to deliver supplies like gauze, tape, syringes, needles, etc to your home anymore and that patients will have to pick up supplies themselves from their centers. They said boxes of saline will still be delivered tho. That's good because saline is heavy.

I like to think I am relatively healthy (except for kidneys of course) but having had to get my first boxes of saline of the porch yesterday I cannot imagine how an elderly family could handle this. Especially the way I try to baby my fistula arm.

Next Stage finds a way to get supplies delivered. Why can't Fresenius? Answers ...CHEAP!!!  I whine about this at every Ultra Care call. Does not seem to do much good.

VT Big Rig
Diagnosed - October 2012
Started with NxStage - April 2015
6 Fistula grams in 5 months,  New upper fistula Oct 2015, But now old one working fine, until August 2016 and it stopped, tried an angio, still no good
Started on new fistula .
God Bless my wife and care partner for her help
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2015, 11:47:47 AM »

Next Stage finds a way to get supplies delivered. Why can't Fresenius? Answers ...CHEAP!!!  I whine about this at every Ultra Care call. Does not seem to do much good.
The Ultra care call is part of a program to keep you happy while you are a private insurance paid patient.  The calls will end once you transition to Medicare.
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2015, 06:35:27 PM »

The Ultra care call is part of a program to keep you happy while you are a private insurance paid patient.  The calls will end once you transition to Medicare.

My husband is still on private insurance. Last time he got a call from the Ultra Care nurse was in May. No call yet so far this month. Wonder if their Ultra Care is also going bye-bye like home deliveries did. Call me paranoid but I've been laid off twice from longterm jobs I had with large companies just before they tanked or were bought out through mergers. Both started cutting back on things just ahead of announcing layoffs. Hopefully Fresenius is just wanting to boost their bottom line and not in any trouble but their cutting out deliveries and cutting back on supplies is making me nervous. Hoping my husband brings all this up with his Neph or the Ultra Care nurse.   

Vt Big Rig

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2015, 04:45:07 AM »

Yes sir, I do know that. Part of the reason I am trying to make noise now!!

VT Big Rig
Diagnosed - October 2012
Started with NxStage - April 2015
6 Fistula grams in 5 months,  New upper fistula Oct 2015, But now old one working fine, until August 2016 and it stopped, tried an angio, still no good
Started on new fistula .
God Bless my wife and care partner for her help
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2015, 08:23:38 AM »

The problem with the Fresenius (FMC/True Blue) delivery is that they trucked the supplies out, and did not have a good formula for "truck vs. UPS" and only using (and billing for) the truck when it was cost effective.     Tru Blu did use UPS one month when the delivery consisted only of supplies other than saline, but every time there was saline, it was trucked at a cost to the clinic of $300 per trip (delivery only, not supplies).   I was on bi-monthly with True Blue, and was in the habit of ordering enough saline that they would only need to send the truck once every 4 months, and UPS on alternate 2 month cycles.   Encouraging this for patients would have been another way to cut down on the delivery charges.

If Fresenius were rational in its internal cross-department billing procedures, and switched to UPS only for patients who are on NxStage, the entire switch to an independent pharmacy would have been unnecessary.

Irrationality persists.  It cannot be more cost effective to ship one gallon of bleach from TN to MA than to just grab one from stock at the clinic when I am in for my monthly.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 07:04:19 PM by Simon Dog » Logged
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2015, 03:01:56 PM »

So, I wonder what Fresenius is doing with all those trucks they're no longer using for deliveries that they paid to have "Tru Blue" painted on and the delivery drivers. Poof, gone? A write-off?

Shaks24

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2015, 06:33:08 PM »

They used to ship Heparin to my house. I had to pick up the last order from the clinic. Have not noticed any other changes as of yet.

Congestive heart failure 2011
Currently about 19% Kidney Function
September 11, 2013 PD Catheter and Fistula Surgery
September 27, 2013 Started PD
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2015, 07:00:56 PM »

They used to ship Heparin to my house. I had to pick up the last order from the clinic. Have not noticed any other changes as of yet.
Same change for EPO with the clinic I use.
So, I wonder what Fresenius is doing with all those trucks they're no longer using for deliveries that they paid to have "Tru Blue" painted on and the delivery drivers. Poof, gone? A write-off?
Home delivery is a small part of the TrueBlue delivery.   They also service their own clinics, and some hospitals where they contract for dialysis service.   Also, home users on the BabyK Fresenius machines still get their orders from TruBlue as there is a huge volume of bicarb and acid solution delivered each month, not to mention cartirdges, line sets and ancillary supplies.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 07:04:43 PM by Simon Dog » Logged
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2015, 07:15:42 PM »

Hhmm...wonder if NxStage knows about any of this. We are also no longer getting Heparin delivered. Husband has to go pick it up with his EPO along with everything else now and needing Heparin and EPO does not necessarily coincide with his monthly appointments. Now we have to take more time off from work and make more trips to the clinic.

Question for those on PD: Are any of you PD'ers having to pick up your own home dialysis supplies from your Fresenius clinic?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 07:38:36 PM by PrimeTimer » Logged

Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2015, 08:01:04 AM »

Question for those on PD: Are any of you PD'ers having to pick up your own home dialysis supplies from your Fresenius clinic?
I would be surprised if this is the case.    The PD supplies (as well as home hemp w/Babyk) are sufficiently bulky as to make the TruBlue service cost effective at $300 per truck delivery.

I have to pick EPO and, I assume, Heparin (don't use it now) at the clinic, but saline and supplies are shipped to my house.  No more inside delivery for saline and supplies (NxStage still does inside delivery)
obsidianom
Elite Member

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2015, 08:50:36 AM »

Heparin and EPO are medications and thus governed by the LAWS of the state you live in.  Our nurse told me our state pharmacy law requires they deliver both directly to our home . The clinic IS NOT ALLOWED BY LAW to give it to us . The next state over  on the other hand is the opposite . They have to give them out from the clinic .
This has nothing to do with Fresenius.

My wife is the most important person in my life. Dialysis is an honor to do for her.
NxStage since June 2012 .
When not doing dialysis I am a physician ,for over 25 years now(not a nephrologist)

Any posting here should be used for informational purposes only . Talk to your own doctor about treatment decisions.
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2015, 08:46:26 AM »

Heparin and EPO are medications and thus governed by the LAWS of the state you live in.  Our nurse told me our state pharmacy law requires they deliver both directly to our home . The clinic IS NOT ALLOWED BY LAW to give it to us . The next state over  on the other hand is the opposite . They have to give them out from the clinic .
This has nothing to do with Fresenius.
There is a sign at the FMC clinic I use mentioning this - FMC pharmacy makes drugs available for pickup at the clinic "except in states where the law requires home delivery".
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »