I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:21:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute Research Grants
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute Research Grants  (Read 2686 times)
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« on: March 31, 2015, 05:34:43 AM »

PCORI Selects 27 Individuals, Small Groups to Move to Second Tier of "Pipeline to Proposal" Awards

Awards totaling $674,328 will strengthen partnerships, enhance projects begun in first phase

March 30, 2015

For Immediate Release

Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute

WASHINGTON, D.C. (Mar. 30, 2015) – The Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI) has approved 27 projects that were awarded Tier I support through its "Pipeline to Proposal" Awards program to move forward into the program’s second phase.

The projects will receive Tier II awards totaling $674,328 to continue work they began through initial funding they received in December 2013.

Pipeline to Proposal Awards enable individuals and groups that are not typically involved in clinical research to develop the means to produce community-led funding proposals focused on patient-centered comparative effectiveness research (CER). The 27 projects are part of the first group to receive awards through this program. A list of the Tier II projects can be found on PCORI’s website.

Tier II awards provide up to $25,000 per project to help recipients strengthen their community partnerships, develop research capacity, and hone a CER question that could become the basis of a full PCORI funding proposal.

Tier II funding is the intermediate phase of PCORI’s three-tier Pipeline to Proposal Awards program. Tier I awards of up to $15,000 fund community-building and engagement projects. Tier II awards further enhance projects’ capacities, and Tier III awards of up to $50,000 support the development of high-quality, patient-centered research proposals that can be submitted to PCORI or other funders.

“The Pipeline to Proposal Awards program is a manifestation of PCORI’s commitment to the meaningful involvement of patients, caregivers, clinicians, and other stakeholders in all our research endeavors,” said Jean Slutsky, PA, MSPH, PCORI's Chief Engagement and Dissemination Officer. “It provides support to those who may not otherwise have an opportunity to contribute to the field of comparative effectiveness research. We’re pleased to continue to follow these awardees’ progress as they begin to formulate viable research questions.”

Tier II awards are open only to those who have received Tier I awards. The 27 Tier II award recipients have up to one year to complete their proposed work after which they can apply for competitive Tier III funding. More information on the program is available on PCORI’s website:http://www.pcori.org/node/4126

EDITED: Moved to news article section-kitkatz,Admin
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 04:49:58 PM by kitkatz » Logged

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2015, 12:33:54 AM »

I admit, I know nothing about the Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute and while $674,328 sounds generous, doesn't seem enough for research on something so critically needed.

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 04:47:48 AM »

PCORI Offers Up to $90 Million in Funding in Fourth Call for Pragmatic Clinical Study Proposals

Funding Announcement Includes Eight New Topic Areas of Interest

April 6, 2015

For Immediate Release
Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute

WASHINGTON, DC (April 6, 2015) — The Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI) today issued the latest funding announcement under its Pragmatic Clinical Studies initiative, offering up to $90 million in support for projects evaluating the effectiveness of different care options in “real-world” settings.

PCORI will provide up to $10 million in direct costs for studies lasting up to five years through this funding opportunity, the fourth offered through this initiative.

The initiative’s aim is to support large patient-centered studies that can address information gaps on health problems that place heavy burdens on patients, families, and the healthcare system. These projects are designed to produce evidence generally applicable to a wide range of patients’ needs and clinical settings and to answer critical comparative clinical effectiveness questions faced by patients and clinicians.

Unlike studies that take place with highly selected populations in specialized research centers, pragmatic studies are designed to evaluate the effectiveness of healthcare options in “real-world” practice settings, such as a typical hospital or clinic. They also tend to have broader inclusion criteria governing who can participate, so their results can be more generally applicable to a greater variety of patients with different circumstances and situations.

In issuing these funding announcements, PCORI identifies a number of research topics of particular interest, including critical questions identified by its multi-stakeholder advisory panels as well as the Institute of Medicine and the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. The new funding announcement includes eight such high-impact topics recommended by PCORI’s advisory panels. They focus on the effectiveness of:

… comprehensive services to support infants and their families after they are discharged from neonatal intensive care.

… multidisciplinary rehabilitation programs for managing moderate to severe traumatic brain injury in adults.

… alternative models of coordinated pain management in treating chronic, nonspecific musculoskeletal pain.

… the care provided in dental offices compared to various alternative delivery models in preventing cavities in children in medically underserved areas.

… various strategies aimed at integrating pharmacists or pharmacy services into patient care.

… evidence-based screening and primary prevention approaches at minimizing suicidality among adolescents.

… multi-component systems interventions, such as various perinatal care approaches, to improve outcomes for babies and mothers at risk for health disparities.

… clinical interventions to reduce leg and foot amputations related to diabetes among racial/ethnic minorities and low-income populations.

PCORI awarded $64.1 million in February to fund the first five studies selected through this initiative and its Board of Governors will consider another slate of potential awards at its meeting on Tuesday, April 21.

Interested applicants must submit Letters of Intent (LOIs) by no later than 5 p.m. ET on Friday, May 1. LOIs are competitive, meaning they will be screened for their responsiveness and fit to the initiative’s goals. PCORI will notify those invited to submit full applications by Friday, June 5. Other key dates and details can be found in the funding announcement.

The new funding announcement includes an array of resources designed to help research teams submit responsive proposals. In addition, PCORI staff will answer potential applicants’ questions during an informational “town hall” webinar on Tuesday, April 14.

####

About PCORI

The Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI) is an independent, non-profit organization authorized by Congress in 2010. Its mission is to fund research that will provide patients, their caregivers and clinicians with the evidence-based information needed to make better-informed healthcare decisions. PCORI is committed to continuously seeking input from a broad range of stakeholders to guide its work.

http://www.pcori.org/content/pcori-offers-90-million-funding-fourth-call-pragmatic-clinical-study-proposals
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 04:51:52 AM by Zach » Logged

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »