I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:38:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Off-Topic: Talk about anything you want.
| | |-+  What's your favourite breakfast?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What's your favourite breakfast?  (Read 5784 times)
Sugarlump
Elite Member

10 years on and off dialysis

« on: March 24, 2015, 12:56:24 AM »

Definitely bacon and eggs etc...
Today Drew has cooked me bacon and egg on granary toast with 2 cherry tomatoes and a couple of sauteed potatoes and a half-cup of tea!!! Yum

EDITED: Fixed title - Rerun, Admin.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 03:59:37 PM by Rerun » Logged

10 years of half a life
3 years HD 1st transplant Feb 08 failed after 3 months
Back to HD 2nd transplant Dec 10 failed after 11 months
Difficult times with a femoral line and catching MSSA (Thank you Plymouth Hospital)
Back on HD (not easy to do that third time around)
Fighting hard (two years on) to do home HD ... watch this space!
Oh and I am am getting married 1/08/15 to my wonderful partner Drew!!!
The power of optimism over common sense :)
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 03:25:38 AM »

My favourite breakfast consists of :
One piece of nicely (not too much) toasted home-made bread, cut into pieces.
Some of these pieces are then thinly-spread with cashew-butter and some others are thinly spread with Apricot Conserve.
Then I have half an apple peeled and cut into pieces plus half of a pear, also peeled and cut into pieces
and finally I have one cup of Viennese mild coffee with a little sugar and almond-milk...
... One of the most important parts of my breakfast every day is to have created enough time for myself beforehand
to be able and listen to an LP with Baroque music like Vivaldi, Bach or Haendel or any of my other favourite Baroque composers
to start my new day as positive as possible...

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 05:48:59 AM »

Either diner scrambled eggs double order of bacon home fries and a English muffin (a rare event) or the local supermarket chan sells a killer quiche Lorraine.
Eggs bacon and cheese wonderful.
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 06:43:41 AM »

I'm very partial to real hash browns, that means shredded crispy fried potato's that look like this:
http://www.simplyrecipes.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/crispy-hash-browns-vertical.jpg
Unfortunately I've learned that hash browns are more a West Coast of the US thing, here on the East Coast they will sell hash browns that are really home fries, cubed fried potato's (which might not even be crispy) that look like this:
http://www.free-easy-vegan-recipes.com/image-files/easy-hash-browns-new.jpg
This difference in product annoys me since I expect the product is delivered on both Coasts from Sysco or another major food distributor in a bag or a box, and for some reason they don't provide the same product across the US.  And restaurants and diners don't demand they rectify the salutation...

Since my ability to eat large amounts of potato's is on the decline I've now taken to ordering an extra helping when we are traveling and we happen upon real good hash browns.

The egg and meat adds to the meal but real hash browns make a good breakfast.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 06:46:03 AM by iolaire » Logged

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 10:46:51 AM »

My favourite breakfast consists of :
One piece of nicely (not too much) toasted home-made bread, cut into pieces.
Some of these pieces are then thinly-spread with cashew-butter and some others are thinly spread with Apricot Conserve.
Then I have half an apple peeled and cut into pieces plus half of a pear, also peeled and cut into pieces
and finally I have one cup of Viennese mild coffee with a little sugar and almond-milk...
... One of the most important parts of my breakfast every day is to have created enough time for myself beforehand
to be able and listen to an LP with Baroque music like Vivaldi, Bach or Haendel or any of my other favourite Baroque composers
to start my new day as positive as possible...

This sounds wonderful!

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 11:00:34 AM »

BLT on Wheat toast, with extra lettuce, extra tomato, and an egg.   Lots of mayo and sprinkle fresh pepper.  Slide in a nice slice of sweet onion.

It'll get your day started!

Waitress at local breakfast bar doesn't even give me a menu.  I have the same thing every time.   She recently admitted that she tried it with an egg, says they go together like peas and carrots.
dublin

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 12:16:58 PM »

Hi mine is toast with jam followed by a chopped apple in a yogurt , the yogurt being in the freezer for 1 to 1 & half hours it is lovely and cool on the throat as well :waving; :bandance;
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 01:08:10 PM »

The best example of east coast west coast difference ie mayonase the best seller on the west coast is Best Food  and on the east coast the same product is known as Hellmans.
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2015, 01:26:19 PM »

The best example of east coast west coast difference ie mayonase the best seller on the west coast is Best Food  and on the east coast the same product is known as Hellmans.
Yes but its exactly the same product, so they are interchangeable.  Its not like someone tries to pass of Miracle Whip as Best Foods mayonnaise!

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2015, 04:04:39 PM »

Wow some of you are pretty extravagant~

Cheerios and rice milk get me going.  Oh, and my coffee with Baileys and Miralax!

Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2015, 07:03:20 PM »

A treat for me, since it doesn't happen as much anymore.. When I was a kid, on Sundays, we'd have breakfast as a family.. though it usually wasn't until around noon, so probably more of a brunch. *L*  Anyway, Mom would make bacon, eggs, and toast for everyone, but since I couldn't have the bacon, and I don't care for eggs, for a while, she had a hard time figuring out what to make for me.. what she started doing was, once all the bacon was cooked for everyone else, if there were any leftover vegetables from meals through the week, they got thrown into the frying pan.. usually there was potatoes and string beans, maybe some carrots.. and she'd fry them in the bacon grease... it was always so tasty...

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Sugarlump
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2015, 12:38:34 AM »

I have always been partial to grilled tomatoes on toast or eggy bread (french toast) mmmm
Being on renal diet restrictions can only have occasionally but has to have HP sauce on top. (i am addicted to that!)
Bacon sandwich on granary bread with HP sauce and half a cup of tea this morning.

10 years of half a life
Difficult times with a femoral line and catching MSSA (Thank you Plymouth Hospital)
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2015, 01:50:36 PM »

Sugar, HP sauce is what? And granary bread? funny how we all have different terms for the same thing. but, I like to get to know some of the phrases.

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
Sugarlump
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2015, 02:52:44 PM »

Sugar, HP sauce is what? And granary bread? funny how we all have different terms for the same thing. but, I like to get to know some of the phrases.

HP sauce is a traditional (c1895) English spicy brown sauce (like a ketchup) so called because it was rumored to have been served originally in the Houses of Parliament!!!
Granary bread is a wholegrain bread made from brown flour.

Amazing the difference in what we call things !!!! What exactly is root beer (I caught a cooking programme where she was making root beer floats for brunch!!!!)

10 years of half a life
Sugarlump
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2015, 04:26:53 AM »

This morning, boiled egg and granary toast soldiers, two skinny chipolatas, and more toast and shredless marmalade.
And a decent cup  of English breakfast tea...

10 years of half a life
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2015, 12:08:17 PM »

Root beer is a non-alcoholic soft drink. There is no beer in there, I dont think, and I have no idea where the root comes from. It is very tasty tho, dark and sweet and with some ice cream in it, it vecomes a root beer float. OH Yummy!!!

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2015, 05:36:11 PM »

Up until about the time he was diagnosed with Stage V ESRD, husband's fave was omelots. Now he has no morning appetite and just half a cup of coffee. Me, my favorite breakfast (if not toasted eggo's with butter and syrup) is just LOTS and LOTS of black coffee, especially Hazelnut flavored. Kind of kills two birds with one stone; I love programming the coffee maker at night because the smell of fresh brewed coffee helps wake us up in the morning and since we do home hemo, Hazelnut wafting through the air helps mask odor from the waste drain line if I didn't bleach it the nite before.   ;D

I miss my Miracle Whip! When we got married (8 years ago this month) I agreed to HIS Hellman's because it didn't make sense to buy two different jars of "mayo". I'm a very practical shopper. I never have gotten use to the taste of real mayo (Hellman's) but no biggie, I still buy it instead of Miracle Whip but I miss it. 

Ah! Love A&W root beer floats!  :beer1;      I remember my dad taking the family out to an A&W drive in, was a real treat for us country bumpkins to go into the big city for a burger and a float. Mmm...papa burgers, mama burgers and baby burgers!

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2015, 01:42:54 AM »

I LOVE A&W root beer... especially if you go in and get it in a frosted glass.... yummy.... plus, A&W root beer is the best for us (D patients) because it's lower in phosphorus than other root beers.. Bonus!

I do have a thing for Papa burgers and onion rings...

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Sugarlump
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2015, 11:55:51 PM »

Ham and Cheese croissants (straight from the oven) today mmmmmmm

10 years of half a life
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2015, 07:46:07 AM »

2 slices multi grain toast spread with hummus and fried eggs. Once a week hash browns. Extra crisp.

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
Ang
Elite Member

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2015, 09:49:07 PM »

Porridge /oats

live  life  to  the  full  and you won't  die  wondering
cattlekid
Elite Member

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2015, 07:10:51 AM »

Now that I no longer have restrictions post-transplant, this is the breakfast I make once a week:

Place either four frozen hash brown patties or shredded hashbrowns in the bottom of a 8x8 pan prepped with cooking spray.  Cover with 1 cup shredded cheese.  Add some breakfast meat, whatever I happen to have on hand.  Whip four eggs with 1/4 cup milk and then pour slowly over the contents of the pan.  Bake for 45 min to 1 hour in a 400 degree oven. 

I cut this into four pieces, place in the fridge and take one piece to work each morning with an iced coffee (just discovered Trader Joe's cold brew coffee concentrate and am in love!!!)  and it is plenty to tide me over for a good 3-4 hours.
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2015, 06:15:24 PM »

Grandparents on my Dad's side came over from Norway.  They had a farm in Minnesota and with 15 kids Gramma cooked a LOT of potatoes.

Potato Dumplings are a favorite, but they take a lot of work.  And I mean arm muscles.

A favorite breakfast they would start a couple of days early, peeling and grinding potatoes then mixing that with about an equal amount of flour.  Add lot s salt cause 10 lbs of spuds and 10 lbs of floour needs a lot for a decent flavor.  This had to be mixed by hand as it gets way thicker than any bread dough.  No machine, even with hooks can mix enough flour in and you have to keep adding flour until someone else with a clean DRY hand can pat the mixture and it doesn't stick.

While mixing set a couple of canners on to boil about two-thirds full of water.

Once the mix is to that 'dry pat' point use a large spoon to carve out chunks.  Pat and roll them with floured hands into balls at least as large as softball baseballs.  Use the large spoon to carefully set the balls down into the boiling water.  The wet spoon makes it a little easier to carve out the next piece.

Boil until the water goes clear.  It clouds pretty quickly from the flour that sort os 'melts' off the outside and it can easily take over an hour to cook clear depending on how large your pot is and how many 'balls are in each.  Stir occasionally but be gentle, you do not want to deform you balls.

Once done some like to cut them up, add butter and pepper and eat.  Reserve some for breakfast,  refrigerate wrapped in wax paper, or plastic, or just let air dry.  With no fat they will keep as long as a cut potato, longer because of the flour.

Come breakfast time, fry up  or favorite sausage or bacon, reserve the fat and cut a 'ball' into bite-size pieces into the fat.  Add enough milk to barely cover and simmer it down into gravy with bite-size chunks of potato dumplings.  Butter always makes it better.

This is a breakfast that will stick with you and fuel you well for a serious morning working on the farm.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »