I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:48:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Off-Topic: Talk about anything you want.
| | |-+  Practical dreams...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Practical dreams...  (Read 4862 times)
kristina
Member for Life

« on: March 22, 2015, 03:24:43 AM »

Hello,
When I am well enough I am learning a wonderful piano-piece by Friedemann Bach
and last night I dreamed about how to play this piece in many different ways:
either slow or fast with different emphasis on many different spots etc. and this morning when I woke up I knew exactly,
how to approach this piano-piece, because I had already gone through all the possible different motions in my dream...
... and I thought this was a most helpful and very practical dream...
Now I am wondering about dreams and what they mean and how they are meant to be so extremely practical and helpful ?
Thanks from Kristina.

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 07:41:40 PM »

sounds like a cool dream.. I wish I could have one that would tell me how to get my little fingers to reach across guitar strings... I keep trying to get a smaller guitar, but no one seems to understand what I need... I'm sure if I had the right guitar, I could play no problem...

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 02:47:19 AM »

Hello Riki,
I am very sorry about the difficulty to reach across guitar-strings with small fingers and I believe this difficulty is well known among guitar-players.
I also remember reading about one professional (Spanish) guitar-player who had small fingers and with the help of another professional guitar-player,
he could find his own way to play very beautifully all the same. Could you find assistance about this from guitar-players in your town or the Internet?
Best wishes and good luck from Kristina.

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 07:08:30 PM »

I'm thinking of going for private lessons in the spring.. or whenever the snow melts.. whichever comes first..... and yes, I do know that the official start of spring was last week.. *L*

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Sugarlump
Elite Member

10 years on and off dialysis

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 12:40:13 AM »

They do say that sometimes your dreams are a way of problem solving as your brain sifts through the information whilst you sleep.

10 years of half a life
3 years HD 1st transplant Feb 08 failed after 3 months
Back to HD 2nd transplant Dec 10 failed after 11 months
Difficult times with a femoral line and catching MSSA (Thank you Plymouth Hospital)
Back on HD (not easy to do that third time around)
Fighting hard (two years on) to do home HD ... watch this space!
Oh and I am am getting married 1/08/15 to my wonderful partner Drew!!!
The power of optimism over common sense :)
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2015, 01:40:54 AM »

They do say that sometimes your dreams are a way of problem solving as your brain sifts through the information whilst you sleep.

Thank you for the information Sugar,
... it is strange though, because during each day I am thinking of how to urgently forward "my" transplant,
as my body has started to develop very unpleasant side-effects because of "my" d-sessions ...
...and it seems that my musical mind has taken over whilst I am asleep to put back the balance  ...
Thanks again from Kristina.

-   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
PaulBC

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 10:29:43 AM »

I'm a big believer in the importance of dreams to cognitive function, but I have never had one that consisted of direct instruction like yours. Way back in high school, I used to have dreams where I was trying to solve math problems (mostly algebra) though the problems often made no sense. I don't think sleeping is just down time, and I am pretty sure that my brain was working hard helping me to improve my understanding.

Lately I have been more aware of dreams, probably because stress and my daughter's PD alarms are sometimes waking me during REM sleep. (For years I had been wondering if I was still dreaming at all.) They have not been practical to say the least, but they are often quite vivid and bizarre. Sadly, I rarely remember the details the next day.

Last night I had a dream of which I remember little, except that several times the Pope (the current one) came up to say hello to me and knew my name. I found this remarkable, since he must know so many people, and it actually made me reconsider my (lack of) faith if the Pope had such an ability. I also found that I had to think hard to come up with my own name, which made it even more remarkable.  But... in the dream my name was Seymour. I do not know anyone named Seymour, nor do I think about the Pope very much (but this was the smiling Pope Francis of media coverage). For the life of me, I cannot find any sense or significance to this dream. It is pretty typical, though the overt religious connection is rare.
talker

Talkers oil painting

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2015, 10:42:38 AM »

Dreams can be more meaningful than most folks suspect.

Remove the @, copy and paste:
@http://www.thetalker.org/archives/148/7-psychic-intuition-and-the-babbler/

http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=29230.msg480229#msg480229

http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=26386.msg425181#msg425181

http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=1512.msg150782#msg150782
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 06:36:25 PM by talker » Logged

Be Well

"Wabi-sabi nurtures the authentic by acknowledging three simple realities: nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect."

Don't ever give up hope, expect a miracle, pray as if you were going to die the next moment in time, but live life as if you were going to live forever."

A wise man once said, "Yesterday's the past, tomorrow's the future, but today is a gift. That's why it's called the present."
Sugarlump
Elite Member

10 years on and off dialysis

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2015, 03:01:17 PM »

I actively dream every night (often more than one dream) and always remember most of what I dream on waking.
Sometimes I have a recurring dream which I am sure my brain is trying to tell me something...
Carl Jung believed dreams were a window to your unconscious... and that their content is always significant to the dreamer.

My other half says he never dreams...I reckon he does but never remembers them.

When we dream our eyelids flicker...why is that?

10 years of half a life
3 years HD 1st transplant Feb 08 failed after 3 months
Back to HD 2nd transplant Dec 10 failed after 11 months
Difficult times with a femoral line and catching MSSA (Thank you Plymouth Hospital)
Back on HD (not easy to do that third time around)
Fighting hard (two years on) to do home HD ... watch this space!
Oh and I am am getting married 1/08/15 to my wonderful partner Drew!!!
The power of optimism over common sense :)
talker

Talkers oil painting

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2015, 07:35:15 PM »

I actively dream every night (often more than one dream) and always remember most of what I dream on waking.
Sometimes I have a recurring dream which I am sure my brain is trying to tell me something...
Carl Jung believed dreams were a window to your unconscious... and that their content is always significant to the dreamer.

My other half says he never dreams...I reckon he does but never remembers them.

When we dream our eyelids flicker...why is that?

It is a REM period.
The eye is following 'some' action in a dream at this point is how I see it.
-----------------------
"Even though REM sleep is a much deeper sleep it is not shown to be any better than Non-REM sleep. The reason for this is our body needs both kinds of sleep to be fully rested. Without one the other would never be as effective."

Remove the @, copy and paste:
@http://academic.pgcc.edu/~mhspear/sleep/stages/nrsleep.html

@http://amycope.com/foods-for-vivid-dreams/
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 06:38:02 PM by talker » Logged

Be Well

"Wabi-sabi nurtures the authentic by acknowledging three simple realities: nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect."

Don't ever give up hope, expect a miracle, pray as if you were going to die the next moment in time, but live life as if you were going to live forever."

A wise man once said, "Yesterday's the past, tomorrow's the future, but today is a gift. That's why it's called the present."
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2015, 03:31:25 AM »

Thank you for your interesting thoughts, PaulBC, talker and Sugarlump.
Hello PaulBC, it is interesting that you had dreams about solving algebra-problems, when improvement about it mattered.
And in later dreams, perhaps certain stress-situations can make our dreams appear a little bizarre sometimes ?
Thank you talker for your thought-proving input and comments, it is very much appreciated.
Hello Sugar and thanks again. I agree that sometimes whilst dreaming, certain matters and events can become a little clearer
and I have noticed in the past that during a dream I began to realize, that I had picked-up certain details which I was not really aware of
when something happened but these details can assist to make everything much clearer about certain events...
Thanks again from Kristina.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 03:39:54 AM by kristina » Logged

-   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
MuddyGurl

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2015, 01:40:27 PM »

Kristina...Problem solving and creative thinning in dreams is such a blessing!!  I can't count how many times my mind has solved the problem I had in just about anything going on

I find it charming your musical inner life was creating away while your physical body rested.

As a sometimes writer I have learned to just stop when I hit a wall or impasse…and later ..for example when I was vacuuming, of all things, the perfect ending to a poem I wrote 2 years earlier popped into my head.  So the  disconnect from daily life, whether sleeping or mindless daily activity is a perfect solution for creative outpouring.
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2015, 01:52:06 PM »

Thank you for your thoughts MuddyGurl.
I have similar experiences as well and it happens sometimes that I come across a "block" and cannot find an answer to a certain question
and then some time later, whilst I am totally relaxed, the answer comes to me just like that...
... Perhaps the secret is not to try too hard at once and give the answers a chance to come along in their own time... :grouphug;

-   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2015, 06:24:03 PM »

Hello,
When I am well enough I am learning a wonderful piano-piece by Friedemann Bach
and last night I dreamed about how to play this piece in many different ways:
either slow or fast with different emphasis on many different spots etc. and this morning when I woke up I knew exactly,
how to approach this piano-piece, because I had already gone through all the possible different motions in my dream...
... and I thought this was a most helpful and very practical dream...
Now I am wondering about dreams and what they mean and how they are meant to be so extremely practical and helpful ?
Thanks from Kristina.

Maybe you are experiencing what is called "lucid dreaming". Sometimes I have very vivid dreams and sometimes I have dreams/nitemares that have repeated themselves for many years. I think the dreams that repeat themselves are very symbolic or a reflection of our inner-most feelings. Before my husband was diagnosed and had to start dialysis, I could wake up and recall most of my dreams from the night before. Now I wake up and other than knowing that I had a dream, I can't seem to recall what the dream was about anymore. I think stress, anxiety and fragmented sleep all have an effect on what or if we dream.

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2015, 02:56:05 AM »

Thank you PrimeTimer,
You have got a good point there... I also have experienced that when my mind gets a little "overcrowded" and stressy during the day,
the dreams during my sleep don't really make any sense and it seems that my mind "only" sorts itself out and refreshes itself during my sleep...
 ... and it all seems to be a "sorting-out-exercise" for the mind to gather new energy in order to approach the next day ... :grouphug;

-   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »