I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:34:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  NEW HOPE FOR DIALYSIS AMYLOIDOSIS
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: NEW HOPE FOR DIALYSIS AMYLOIDOSIS  (Read 3294 times)
obsidianom
Elite Member

« on: March 20, 2015, 06:15:09 AM »

FDA Approvals  > Medscape Medical News

FDA OKs First Device for Dialysis-Related Amyloidosis
Troy Brown, RN
  Disclosures
March 11, 2015
 The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has authorized the use of the first device to treat patients with dialysis-related amyloidosis (DRA).

The Lixelle Beta 2-microglobulin Apheresis Column (Kaneka Corp) is distributed in the United States by Kaneka Pharma America.

DRA is a chronic, progressive condition that is a complication of kidney failure. It occurs most often in patients older than 60 years who have been using hemodialysis for longer than 5 years.

DRA is caused by an accumulation of a protein known as beta 2-microglobulin in the blood. The protein forms deposits in bones, joints, and tendons, resulting in painful, stiff joints; bone cysts that can lead to fractures; and torn tendons and ligaments. These protein deposits can also affect the digestive tract, heart, and lungs.

"While DRA affects only a small population of patients on dialysis, there are not many treatment options for these patients and some options may not be available to patients in all areas," William Maisel, MD, MPH, deputy director for science, chief scientist and acting director of the Office of Device Evaluation in FDA's Center for Devices and Radiological Health, said in a news release. "The Lixelle Beta 2-microglobulin Apheresis Column may provide this patient population with an option for relieving some of the debilitating symptoms of DRA."

During hemodialysis, the blood passes through the device before entering the dialysis filter, and the device's porous cellulose beads bind to and remove beta 2-microglobin as the patient's blood flows over the beads.

The device may help those with symptoms related to DRA, particularly those without access to extended dialysis therapies or who may be ineligible for a kidney transplant.

Humanitarian Device Exemption

The FDA granted the device a Humanitarian Use Device designation, which is given if the device diagnoses or treats a disease or condition that affects or is found in fewer than 4000 individuals in the United States each year.

To receive approval through the exemption pathway, the company must demonstrate that the device is safe and that the benefit of its use outweighs any risk for injury or illness. The company must also demonstrate that no comparable devices are currently being marketed for the diagnosis or treatment of the disease or condition, with the exception of those approved under the Humanitarian Device Exemption or investigational device exemption.

The FDA's decision comes after a review of data from published clinical studies describing its use in approximately 100 patients from Japan with DRA and postmarket safety data from about 200 patients with DRA in Japan, where the device has already been approved for use.

In general, the studies showed symptom improvement with use of the device.

The most frequent adverse events seen with the device's use are temporary hypotension and hematocrit. These are adverse events commonly seen in patients undergoing dialysis or any extracorporeal therapy.

As a condition of the Humanitarian Device Exemption approval, the company is required to conduct a postmarket study to obtain more data on the benefits, risks, and adverse events in the US population.

EDITED: Moved to news topics -kitkatz,Admin
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 02:09:38 PM by kitkatz » Logged

My wife is the most important person in my life. Dialysis is an honor to do for her.
NxStage since June 2012 .
When not doing dialysis I am a physician ,for over 25 years now(not a nephrologist)

Any posting here should be used for informational purposes only . Talk to your own doctor about treatment decisions.
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 02:57:52 AM »

Hello obsidianom,
Thank you very much for this important information.
At first it was a bit difficult to get my not-medically-trained head around it,
but once the penny had dropped, I could comprehend the importance of it.
Thanks again from Kristina.

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 11:53:18 AM »

This may explain some of the joint stiffness and soreness some of you folks are experiencing. Thanks, obsidianom for sharing this. I know you've written about this before, thanks for the update. 

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »