I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:34:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Medicare/Insurance
| | |-+  UK - Travel Insurance
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: UK - Travel Insurance  (Read 3024 times)
Woody72

« on: March 07, 2015, 03:54:08 AM »

Hi -

(Apologies if this is covered elsewhere - I've searched but can't find anything!)

I'm looking to book a holiday in the USA (I live in the UK) and will need travel insurance.  I'm on the transplant list, but was wondering if I get "the call" before the holiday, and then obviously cancel the holiday, will I be able to claim this as a cancellation - they don't usually cover planned procedures, but a transplant is not exactly planned is it!

Any advice would be great.

Thanks
David
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 10:04:13 AM »

You will need to read the policy wording before you actually buy a policy.  Carefully read the Exclusions/Limitations section.  To be safe, you should probably contact a broker, tell them what you need and let them find a policy for you.

To be honest, I don't think cancellation for this particular reason would be covered.  When you purchase coverage, you'd have to disclose that you're on the tx list.  Underwriters would red flag you as being high risk and would either refuse to underwrite said risk or would charge you a high premium.  If you did not disclose this information and you ended up cancelling because you got the call, underwriters would probably reject your claim for non-disclosure.

I'd be very interested to learn what you find out!  Good luck!

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Woody72

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 04:01:30 PM »

Managed to get cover -Allcleartravel cover most medical conditions, and also allow you to pay a premium for waiting list cover.  It's added a couple hundred £ to cost but will be worth it should I get lucky before I head off on holiday.  Policy wording is below:

Waiting Lists
If you are on a waiting list for medical treatment or
investigation which may mean you have to cancel or
curtail your journey, we will not cover these cancellation
or curtailment costs unless you have paid the required
additional premium for waiting list cover. Refer to
your policy schedule for cover details. If you think you
have paid for this cover, please check your enclosed
documents to confirm this. This cover only applies to
Single Trip policies.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 08:14:15 AM »

Oh, this is very interesting!!!  I'm so glad you found coverage!  I'm not surprised to hear you were charged an extra premium, but that's what your money is paying for...peace of mind.

If I may ask, who underwrites this policy?

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »