I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 08, 2024, 07:50:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Infection (i.e. influenza, etc) or a cold whilst on dialysis-sessions?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Infection (i.e. influenza, etc) or a cold whilst on dialysis-sessions?  (Read 5345 times)
kristina
Member for Life

« on: February 26, 2015, 06:25:14 AM »

Hello,
I was wondering what happens when one suffers from influenza
or a cold whilst going to a center for regular dialysis-sessions?
What sort of precautions are to be taken?
Do ESRF-patients take precautions themselves
or do the dialysis-nurses and/or doctors put proceedings into place?
Thanks from (a coughing with a runny nose and hurting muscles) Kristina.

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
noahvale
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 07:03:56 AM »

« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 07:42:34 AM by noahvale » Logged
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 07:26:03 AM »

Thank you noahvale, I shall do that.
Thanks again from Kristina.

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 10:51:35 PM »

Thought I'd post my question here since my husband seems to have come down with the classic winter cold. What are some ways that someone on dialysis can do to feel better without of course, taking in too much fluid?

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 06:14:35 AM »

If you are offered a flu shot take it.  Even if you still get the flu you get a milder version.  When I was still working one of my fellow employees was under the weather.  Not really sick but just lots of symptoms.  I said flu and he said had flu shot and I pointed out he probably had a mild case.  He thought about it and called his wife up who was home with two sick kids and the three of them all were sick, they all had shots. His wife's reply was tell me something I don't know Einstein . But two days later they were all well.  The flu shots are a best guess at what the flu strains will be but even if you still get the flu it's far more reduced so it's more survivable.  Two years ago my wife got the flu, I didn't , she had two horrible weeks, I was fine now she gets a annual flu shot.
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 09:51:11 AM »

Dialysis clinics typically have an isolation room, but I don't know if the flu rises to the level of using it.
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2015, 11:10:36 AM »

Thanks for responding Michael Murphy and Simon Dog. My husband had his annual flu shot a month or so ago and yes, exhibited flu-like symptoms for a couple days. Right now he has a cold (I have no symptoms) runny nose and sneezing a lot with some post-nasal drip coughing going on. No fever. Whenever I've gotten a cold I kept myself hydrated and my system "flushed" by drinking lots of juice and water but...since my husband is on dialysis and shouldn't take in more fluid than he does, was wondering what dialysis patients can do to help their system be rid of a cold faster or to feel better. I was tempted to give him some chicken broth or jello but oh no...fluid and sodium! Just wish I could make him feel better. He's not feeling horribly bad but a raw nose and mountains of kleenex are no fun. Also makes dialysis more miserable for him. Thank goodness he gets to be in the comfort of his own home, I give him a warm blanket and heat up a rice bag for his neck and can bring him anything he wants but sneezing with needles in ya is scary!

I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2015, 12:21:46 PM »

I have two pieces of advise , one buy the tissue with lotion in them, no sore noses, I always keep a box hidden just in case. Two if being clogged up nasally is a problem, try using afriin nasal decondestant just before bed.  Swanson makes a sodium free chicken stock throw in a few noodles and healthy chicken  noodle soup. The tissues really are a god send.
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2015, 03:16:20 PM »

I have two pieces of advise , one buy the tissue with lotion in them, no sore noses, I always keep a box hidden just in case. Two if being clogged up nasally is a problem, try using afriin nasal decondestant just before bed.  Swanson makes a sodium free chicken stock throw in a few noodles and healthy chicken  noodle soup. The tissues really are a god send.
Tissue with lotion is the only way to go uh I mean, blow! Big thanks for recommending the Swanson broth too! Unfortunately because of BP issues, he can't use decongestants. I feel for him. He's all tired out just from sneezing and coughing. That's exactly how I get when I battle asthma attacks. But at least I can take allergy meds to deal with it, he can't.  :'(   

kickingandscreaming
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2015, 04:47:29 PM »

Instead of decongestant, try using a nasal irrigator with saline solution (you can buy it in little packets).  I am frequently stuffed up and the irrigation really helps me.  I use this one http://www.amazon.com/Neilmed-Sinus-Rinse-Starter-packets/dp/B000RJGB5C/ref=sr_1_3?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1451436339&sr=1-3&keywords=Neilmed+sinus+rinse  or you can use a neti pot.  One thing though, it's very important to preboil the water you use but bring it to body temp before using.

Diagnosed with Stage 2 ESRD 2009
Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2015, 05:59:53 PM »

I have severe allergies.  My my nose runs constantly during the spring and fall.  Since I have been in my 20's thsts over 40'years I have been taking large doses of chlorpheniramine maleate  (on a bad day up to 36 4mg tablets) drys me right out, stops my eyes from itching. When I started dialysis my Nephroligist through a fit.  I told him there was no reason to quit since there was no literature to support stopping.  That started a 12 month battle that finally ended a year later when he admitted he could not find a reason to stop.  He doesn't like the fact I take the pills, but I only take them as needed. If I didn't my nose would clog in April and stay clogged till July.  Then since allergens were trapped to the mucus I would have week long asthma attacks. I start taking 6 pills when my nose starts to run and as long as I am having symptoms I will repeat every 4 hours.
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2015, 07:24:21 PM »

Instead of decongestant, try using a nasal irrigator with saline solution (you can buy it in little packets).  I am frequently stuffed up and the irrigation really helps me.  I use this one http://www.amazon.com/Neilmed-Sinus-Rinse-Starter-packets/dp/B000RJGB5C/ref=sr_1_3?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1451436339&sr=1-3&keywords=Neilmed+sinus+rinse  or you can use a neti pot.  One thing though, it's very important to preboil the water you use but bring it to body temp before using.
Thanks for the suggestion! I totally forgot about this method...my mother used nose rinses because she had Congestive Heart Failure and like my husband, could not use decongestants.

PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2015, 07:39:25 PM »

I have severe allergies.  My my nose runs constantly during the spring and fall.  Since I have been in my 20's thsts over 40'years I have been taking large doses of chlorpheniramine maleate  (on a bad day up to 36 4mg tablets) drys me right out, stops my eyes from itching. When I started dialysis my Nephroligist through a fit.  I told him there was no reason to quit since there was no literature to support stopping.  That started a 12 month battle that finally ended a year later when he admitted he could not find a reason to stop.  He doesn't like the fact I take the pills, but I only take them as needed. If I didn't my nose would clog in April and stay clogged till July.  Then since allergens were trapped to the mucus I would have week long asthma attacks. I start taking 6 pills when my nose starts to run and as long as I am having symptoms I will repeat every 4 hours.
I can no longer go out the door without my rescue inhaler and for the first time, a couple months ago I actually stopped breathing. No air in, no air out. Felt like my throat closed shut.

Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2015, 10:59:32 PM »

Tissue with lotion is the only way to go uh I mean, blow! Big thanks for recommending the Swanson broth too! Unfortunately because of BP issues, he can't use decongestants. I feel for him. He's all tired out just from sneezing and coughing. That's exactly how I get when I battle asthma attacks. But at least I can take allergy meds to deal with it, he can't.  :'(   

I would advise against any low sodium broth.. if you look at the packaging, the salt that they remove is replaced with potassium.. it would depend on what you were most worried about, the fluid retention or elevated blood pressure caused by the salt, or hte possible heart failure caused by the potassium.. personally, I'll take the extra fluid, since I know I can remove that, where potassium is much harder to get rid of

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
iketchum

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2016, 07:14:16 AM »

When I was on dialysis I caught the Noro virus and was put in the small isolation room. I used the seperate door to enter and leave.
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2016, 07:41:24 AM »

The Swanson no sodium chicken stock is a renal disaster but the Swanson 50% chicken stock is recommended by Davila along with a slew of other low sodium  chicken stocks.
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2016, 01:38:43 PM »

The Swanson no sodium chicken stock is a renal disaster but the Swanson 50% chicken stock is recommended by Davila along with a slew of other low sodium  chicken stocks.
And since my husband does home hemo 5x week, the low sodium broth would probably be okay. He pretty much removes any fluid he puts on with every treatment and still "goes" a bit too. 

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »