I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2024, 08:37:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  man dies at 88 after 54 years with donated kidney still going strong!!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: man dies at 88 after 54 years with donated kidney still going strong!!  (Read 3727 times)
lainiepop

« on: February 08, 2015, 11:40:33 AM »

Colonial Beach man was longest-lived in world with donated kidney
MEDICAL FEAT COLONIAL BEACH RETIREE SET MILESTONE
BY AMY FLOWERS UMBLE/THE FREE LANCE-STARPosted 14 hours ago

Doctors thought a transplanted kidney would give Robert Phillips about two more years of life.

It gave him 54.

Phillips’ donor kidney lasted longer than any other in the world, except for those involving identical twins.

Phillips died in December at the age of 88.

His family hopes that Phillips’ kidney will now offer new hope to transplant patients and new information to doctors who perform the procedures.

In 1963, a pioneering doctor agreed to a transplant surgery to save Phillips’ life. But the prospects were grim.

Without the procedure, Phillips could die because his kidneys were failing fast.

For about a month, he used dialysis, which was awkward and time-consuming for patients at the time.

His sister Becky read a newspaper article about kidney transplants, which were rare and risky.

“It was a very new procedure at that time, and not always met with long-term success,” said Dr. Peter Ivanovich, a nephrologist with Northwestern University in Chicago. “There were many problems to overcome, there were limited anti-rejection medicines available at the time.”

Phillips had six siblings who were willing to donate a kidney, but doctors rejected each one.

Still, Phillips flew to Denver to meet Dr. Thomas Startzl, a pioneer in the field of transplants.

A prisoner in a nearby jail offered to donate his kidney to Phillips. It would have been the first time a living inmate donated an organ.

But at the last minute, doctors discovered the prisoner’s blood type wasn’t a match. Phillips was ready for surgery but there wasn’t a kidney for him.

Another sister, Ruth, traveled to Denver with him and begged Startzl to use one of her kidneys. Their blood types didn’t match either, and the odds of a successful outcome were low. When blood types match between donor and patient, the recipient’s body is less likely to reject the new organ.

“The chances were nil as we had completely different blood types and not before or since (to my knowledge) has this been successful,” Phillips wrote in a letter to a transplant society in 1972.

But he didn’t have long to live without a transplant. So Startzl decided to give it a try.

In the letter, Phillips wrote, “I feel great and would 100 times over take the transplant as opposed to the kidney machine. One is just existing, the other living.”

After the successful surgery, Phillips changed careers, then eventually retired to Colonial Beach and took care of his wife for six years before she died in 2006.

He never had trouble with his kidneys again.

“When he passed away, the amazing thing was, his heart was bad, things were bad, he was not in any pain and his kidney was still in good condition,” said Phillips’ niece, Beverly Ange, who took care of him in his final years.

That kidney will be donated to Northwestern and to the University of Pittsburgh, where Startzl was a professor emeritus.

“If they can study it and help somebody else, then that will be just amazing,” Ange said.

Phillips was a low-key man who rarely talked about his transplant, she said. But he was eager to help other prospective transplant patients, and told his story whenever doctors asked.

In 2011, Phillips traveled to Portugal to receive the Burl Osborne Pioneer Organ Replacement Hero Award from the International Federation for Artificial Organs.

During his lifetime, Phillips saw kidney transplants move from rare to relatively commonplace. About 17,000 are performed each year in the United States. These days, the success rates are very high, Ivanovich said.

Ange hopes that even after his death, Phillips’ story will serve as encouragement for others who need transplants—and those with healthy organs to donate.

Nearly 102,000 people nationwide are waiting for a kidney to be available.

“People don’t realize how important it is to donate,” she said. “You could save a life and, you never know, that person could become a doctor and save your children and your grandchildren.”

1982 - born with one imperfect kidney and no bladder, parents told i would not survive
1984 - urostomy op
1990 - bladder built out of colon
2007 - birth of son, gfr fall from 3O to 26
July2011 - birth of prem daughter, gfr 17%
August2011 - gfr drop to 10%
29th May2012 - RECEIVED KIDNEY 4/6 match from my wonderful dad !
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 03:55:06 PM »

Colonial Beach man was longest-lived in world with donated kidney
MEDICAL FEAT COLONIAL BEACH RETIREE SET MILESTONE
BY AMY FLOWERS UMBLE/THE FREE LANCE-STARPosted 14 hours ago

Doctors thought a transplanted kidney would give Robert Phillips about two more years of life.

It gave him 54.

lainiepop: That's truly a remarkable story, thank you for sharing it!

« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 03:58:56 PM by PrimeTimer » Logged

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 01:03:19 PM »

Truly a remarkable story. His sister wasn't even the same blood type! It's cool they are going to study his kidney - there's so much they can learn!

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
PaulBC

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 02:20:40 PM »

Are the any case studies of extraordinarily successful transplants like this? It's remarkable that the kidney was not even a very good match and it lasted so long. So what happened? And can it be made to work in other recipients?

A transplant that was carried out this long ago had to survive decades before the existence of modern immunosuppressive drugs, so something very unusual must have happened.

Now that I have had a few months to learn more about kidneys than I ever thought I would need to know, my attention has shifted to the immune system. That's obviously the key to getting any transplant to work well (until we learn how to grow new compatible organs). There are promising results in establishing chimeric immune systems that do not reject the donated organ (actual clinical outcomes, not just papers). Is it possible that some people just have this happen naturally?

I think that current experimental treatments start by irradiating the donor's original immune system and use a bone marrow or stem cell transplant from the donor to establish a new one (that doesn't attack either host or donated organ, which is the surprising thing).

The thing that completely threw me was why a chimeric immune system would accept both self and donor tissue rather than reject both. My crash course in immunology tells me that the answer is probably in the thymus (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). Basically, there is an entire system, mostly in the thymus, that finds T-cells that are reacting to antigens that they should not, and deletes these before they are able to form an immune response. I think most people have a rough idea that the immune system can learn about new threats (e.g. from vaccines) but it is also capable of learning what is not a threat.

Irradiating the recipients existing immune system is extreme, though far preferable to a chronic need for antirejection therapy. It would be great if there was a way to replicate the experience of long-lived recipients.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »