I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:03:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Medicare/Insurance
| | |-+  Working part time waiting for disability
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Working part time waiting for disability  (Read 4738 times)
msf21

« on: November 19, 2014, 05:20:29 PM »

I recently quit my full time job and applied for disability in October. I have decided while I wait for the 5 month wait period to pick up a part time job. From what I read on this forum, as long as I make less than $1000/month I can still apply and receive disability. The job I found meets the salary criteria and is only 18-20 hours week, around $800/mo. I am young (32) and I still want to feel useful. My parents are trying to help out as much as possible with rent, utilities, medical bills, but I feel like I should try to take care some things on my own. This money would be used for groceries, car payment, gas, phone and internet. If ESRD is almost always an automatic acceptance, is there a problem with what I want to do? Some other websites that discuss disability but not ESRD specific say to wait until your approved, but I thought this was different. 5 months is a long time without income and this would really help me through the winter months. Any advice would be appreciated.
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 06:45:38 PM »

Your center should have a social worker who is versed in the rules of disability.  One of the people in my center was turned down and had to hire a attorney to deal with social security it took several more months and he got his disability but the lawyer took a cut of his back payments.  To be safe talk to the social worker he or she deals with this all the time and generally has resources to call on for help or support.  Thats what the center is being paid to supply with besides dialysis.
msf21

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 08:45:50 AM »

So I talked to my social worker today. From her experience there is no good way to apply for disability. A lot of people get denied the first time, no matter what the circumstances. She said getting a part time is a logical choice given my situation, but she warned me that I might get denied because they might think I am still able to work and be productive. I have decided to continue to work part time, and deal with the situation as it comes.
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 12:28:56 PM »

The one piece of advice I have been given is to complete the paperwork carefully and to have it reviewed by the Social Worker.
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 05:31:46 AM »

Dr statements in your medical records are prime in SSA's making a decision.

I was SURE that I would be denied when I applied, and was very surprised that I was approved.  My Dr's made it VERY clear in the record that I absolutely HAD TO stop working.  Or so I have been told, the pages I have read are stuffed with Dr speak and often seems like another language completely.

Oh, if there are any other Dr/medical records elsewhere, find them, and address, so ALL information can be submitted with the first application.  That saves a LOT of time later if denied and appeals are made.

Lastly, if denied, appeal the decision, get another supporting statement from each Dr specifying why the Dr wants you medically retired.
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2014, 05:55:52 AM »

My understanding is it is a 3 month wait and you cannot be working at all. After approved you can work part-time to make ends meet.

obsidianom
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2014, 08:20:53 AM »

My understanding is it is a 3 month wait and you cannot be working at all. After approved you can work part-time to make ends meet.
Social security disability involves first at least a year of earning less then about $12,000 then you can apply and it will be another 3 to 5 months. It is a slow process . If and when approved you get paid for the waiting time in a lump some check in addition to the monthly future check. We are going through it now.

My wife is the most important person in my life. Dialysis is an honor to do for her.
NxStage since June 2012 .
When not doing dialysis I am a physician ,for over 25 years now(not a nephrologist)

Any posting here should be used for informational purposes only . Talk to your own doctor about treatment decisions.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »