I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:52:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis - NxStage Users
| | |-+  Little air bubble in venous line
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Little air bubble in venous line  (Read 5361 times)
malibu1

« on: November 08, 2014, 10:04:12 AM »

Using Nxstage cycler with chest catheter, we see more often than not a little air bubble in the end of the venous line just before i hook it up to Mr Malibu's venous stem on the catheter to start dialysis.  It alarmed me the first few times but we have not had any issues from it.  In training it was a big deal about air in the lines, I gather that this small amount doesn't negatively affect anything.
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2014, 10:28:27 AM »

I'm alive to tell about it.  I've seen small bubbles or a bubble go in and my heart stops for a second from fear but I seem to be fine.  I still don't like it happening.   :(

obsidianom
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2014, 12:20:25 PM »

Using Nxstage cycler with chest catheter, we see more often than not a little air bubble in the end of the venous line just before i hook it up to Mr Malibu's venous stem on the catheter to start dialysis.  It alarmed me the first few times but we have not had any issues from it.  In training it was a big deal about air in the lines, I gather that this small amount doesn't negatively affect anything.
We get them all the time. I used to try to remove them but it became fruitless. It is just something that will occur . It doesnt seem to be a problem. We have had it for 2.5 years with no problems.

My wife is the most important person in my life. Dialysis is an honor to do for her.
NxStage since June 2012 .
When not doing dialysis I am a physician ,for over 25 years now(not a nephrologist)

Any posting here should be used for informational purposes only . Talk to your own doctor about treatment decisions.
malibu1

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 07:31:34 PM »

Thanks for your input  :clap;
*kana*

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2015, 03:51:55 PM »

I know this is an old post but this might be helpful to those seeking info on air in the line.  When I worked as an Ultrasound tech we'd do aggitated bubble studies on patients suspected of having an abnormal hole in their heart.  We'd take a 10cc syringe and fill it with 8cc of fluid and 2cc of air.  We'd aggitate it and inject into a vein.  If we weren't convinced of what we saw we'd do it again.  I guess what I am saying is I've seen a LOT of air go into someone and they were fine.  Not saying I'd allow an entire syringe of air or tubing of air but those teeny tiny bubble in the tubing are so small and harmless.  Dont worry one bit about them in the venous line and the ones in the arterial line go out the waste line. 

PD started 09/08
PKD kidneys removed 06/17/09

Failed donor transplant-donor kidney removed,
suspected cancer so not used 06/17/09

Hemo 06/2009-08/2009

Liberty Cycler-11/09-5/13
Nx Stage-current tx
Diagnosed with SEP 2014
noahvale
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2015, 08:52:02 PM »

« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 07:52:15 AM by noahvale » Logged
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2015, 01:12:19 AM »

An easy way to get air out of the venous line is to sqeeze the venous line before screwing the V line while it is in your needle- line. So 'all' air is out of all the screwy bits of plastic of both lines, and > close nicely

:clap;

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
Zog

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2015, 02:12:32 PM »

You need enough air to fill up a chamber in your heart to cause real problems, however we hate all air bubble in lines at our house no matter how small.  If they are in the machine they can lead to little clots.  We always pinch the lines before connecting and when we connect them there is a drop of blood touching a drop of saline with a tiny tiny tiny amount spilling over as the lines are screwed together.  We don't unpinch until after every thing is attached.  It isn't something we think about either.  It is a little flick of the wrist kind of thing when connecting.  It doesn't take .1 seconds to do.  Since about 2008, we never ever ever have to use a syringe to remove air from the filter cap.  I have several boxes of unopened 30 ml syringes because people think this isn't possible.  It is possible to hook up the machine and not get any air bubbles accumulating in the filter cap during treatment.

My wife is JDHartzog. In 1994 she lost her kidneys to complications from congenital VUR.
1994 Hydronephrosis, Double Nephrectomy, PD
1994 1st Transplant
1996 PD
1997 2nd Transplant
1999 In Center Hemo
2004 3rd Transplant
2007 Home Hemo with NxStage
2008 Gave birth to our daughter (the first NxStage baby?)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »