I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 03:41:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: F.A.Q. (Frequently Asked Questions)
| | |-+  Ultrafiltration Profiling - Sodium Profiling - Ultrafiltration:LBP events
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ultrafiltration Profiling - Sodium Profiling - Ultrafiltration:LBP events  (Read 7101 times)
talker

Talkers oil painting

« on: August 27, 2014, 09:05:13 AM »

It's slowly sinking in but, ..................  :Kit n Stik;

Aren't  all three modes, in one way or another, part of every dialysis!   ???

ultrafiltration (as used in normal dialysis)
Ultrafiltration Profiling
Sodium Profiling

http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=27052.msg433734#msg433734
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 05:15:43 PM by talker » Logged

Be Well

"Wabi-sabi nurtures the authentic by acknowledging three simple realities: nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect."

Don't ever give up hope, expect a miracle, pray as if you were going to die the next moment in time, but live life as if you were going to live forever."

A wise man once said, "Yesterday's the past, tomorrow's the future, but today is a gift. That's why it's called the present."
noahvale
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 07:18:03 AM »

« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 08:25:33 PM by noahvale » Logged
obsidianom
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 07:45:23 AM »

Nxstage does it differently. The sodium is always set at 140. We are trying to get them to lower it.
The different saks of dialysate are based on changes in size of batch, and potasium either 1 or 2 .
On nxstage we set up the machine to run any speed and amount of UF. from 0 up to whatever. I run my wife at .25 liters per hour max speed  and usually from .2 to .5 liters per session.

My wife is the most important person in my life. Dialysis is an honor to do for her.
NxStage since June 2012 .
When not doing dialysis I am a physician ,for over 25 years now(not a nephrologist)

Any posting here should be used for informational purposes only . Talk to your own doctor about treatment decisions.
talker

Talkers oil painting

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 10:22:04 AM »

Thank you noahvale and obsidianom , for responding here.

Appears I'm in very unfamiliar territory at this point in time.

Increased bouts with low blood pressure (LBP) during dialysis is why I started looking for ways to avert that condition. (I feel that low blood pressure can be more of a problem than high blood pressure, and more dangerous.)
Did not want to go the Midodrine route for the low blood pressure situation.
Did talk with the doc on alternative ways to cope with this LBP.

When I found:

That post opened the door to possible alternative ways to cope with the LBP.
So while 'responsible' folks were aware of my LBP situation, nothing was actually mentioned along the lines of what that post, 'and link' was pointing too.
On the one hand I fault those 'responsible' folks for not assisting, yet do realize they may be so pressed with normal activities that to take on 'other' actions makes it very difficult to do so.

Is now, my second 'sitting' doing this new Ultrafiltration profiling, Phase 1.
Regardless, I'm in very unfamiliar territory here, as to :
1  What is my real dry weight for this new process?
2  In that most prior sessions after dialysis, the 'pulled outs' (in kg's) were (many .0,)  numerous .1, some .2,, a few .3, and now two dialysis sessions
   were at .8 being pulled out with NO LBP effects,.
3  What criterion do I use that falls into the 'common sense' area, of how 'much' to pull off!
4  Reaching a LBP point doing 'normal dialysis, to me was saying 'enough' fluid pulled, and am at a valid dry weight at end of a dialysis session.
5  Realize that 'how' I'm feeling between dialysis sessions with the new Ultrafiltration profiling, is the basic
   measure to be using, but is it the right and only thing to be using overall !

6   Sheesh, back to square one using gut instinct and the inner Babbler.
    ( http://www.thetalker.org/archives/327/36-talkers-thoughts-on-the-inner-babbler/ )
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 05:17:45 PM by talker » Logged

Be Well

"Wabi-sabi nurtures the authentic by acknowledging three simple realities: nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect."

Don't ever give up hope, expect a miracle, pray as if you were going to die the next moment in time, but live life as if you were going to live forever."

A wise man once said, "Yesterday's the past, tomorrow's the future, but today is a gift. That's why it's called the present."
talker

Talkers oil painting

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 10:48:20 AM »

For any that may be having serious bouts with 'low blood pressure' (LBP) while on dialysis, I offer my recent experiences.
(Of course what works for me, may not be for you, as we are all very unique.)                 

(Do finally recognize that my (LBP) events, are NOT directly caused by dialysis, only  exacerbated by dialysis.)

Was experiencing blurred vision, hot and cold sweats, on the verge of passing out, when into dialysis, 2 1/2 hours.
This correlated with the machines low blood pressure readings, like 83/56, some lower or higher, with various type of symptoms appearing.

As mentioned above, did look into being on the Ultrafiltration (phase 1) profiling.
While important, actual (LBP) event number reading, is not the concern at the moment, it is HOW I actually am feeling during dialysis.

!st dialysis session with Ultrafiltration (phase 1) profiling: actually pulled out .8, with no (LBP) events.
Felt no "off' type events the following day, such as, weakness, or weariness.

2nd dialysis session with Ultrafiltration (phase 1) profiling: again pulled out .8, with no (LBP) events.
Feeling of experiencing a 'reasonably good quality of life'.

3rd dialysis session with Ultrafiltration (phase 1) profiling: pulled out .4, but machine set at .6.
Here I was looking for actual results of 'doing' a dialysis event below my prior dry weight.
In essence, was going for .5 UNDER my normal dry weight, to see what if anything, different during dialysis.
Dialysis itself went OK, with no (LBP) events.
BUT the next day, I was unable to reach my normal levels of enthusiasm for life.
So this was telling me not to do that specific experiment again.
Stick to the established 'dry weight' routine.

4th dialysis session with Ultrafiltration (phase 1) profiling: pulled out .9, was set for .9, with no (LBP) events.
Here, I used my established dry weight, and pulled only what was over that established dry weight.
This next day, after the 4th dialysis session with Ultrafiltration (phase 1) profiling, is now at noon time and still
feeling a sense of well being.

So, will continue with the Ultrafiltration (phase 1) profiling, while I look into the various Phases involved.
Maybe, maybe not, will there be a need for further change of dialysis actions.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 05:13:43 PM by talker » Logged

Be Well

talker

Talkers oil painting

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 11:29:01 AM »

While the heading shows ' Ultrafiltration Profiling - Sodium Profiling - Ultrafiltration' actually this thread is about low blood pressure. :oops;

Was looking for an explanation of certain terms, on how they related to dialysis., doing the first post.  :bow;

Did do an extensive talk thing with the powers that be, regards the terms used in the  heading.  :secret;

So, do believe 'I'm 'back on the road again'.   :clap;

Be Well

talker

Talkers oil painting

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2014, 01:07:57 PM »

It's slowly sinking in but, ..................  :Kit n Stik;

Aren't  all three modes, in one way or another, part of every dialysis!   ???

ultrafiltration (as used in normal dialysis)
Ultrafiltration Profiling
Sodium Profiling

Some great answers here:

http://allnurses.com/dialysis-renal-urology/uf-profiling-147737.html

Be Well

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »