I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:13:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Woman celebrates 45 years with transplanted kidney!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Woman celebrates 45 years with transplanted kidney!  (Read 2590 times)
lainiepop

« on: July 08, 2014, 05:17:13 AM »

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/latest/a/24294427/transplant-survivor-grateful-for-gift/

Glenis Lucanus is used to defying the odds.

As a young adult receiving treatment for kidney disease, doctors believed she might never have children.

Soon after, she gave birth to three daughters.

Gravely ill with nephritis and given just nine months to live while awaiting a kidney transplant, doctors told her to prepare for the worst.

But, five months into her wait, on her way out of hospital, she was to receive another stroke of luck.

"We got to the front door and my mum said, 'Quick, you've got to go back, there's a kidney they think might be suitable'," she said.

As one of only a handful of Australians who had received a transplant, little was known about how Mrs Lucanus might recover from the operation or how long she would survive.

Now, almost 45 years since the operation that saved her life, the 78-year-old, from Hamilton Hill, has the longest-surviving transplanted kidney in WA.

Mrs Lucanus was not told who donated her kidney, but she said on each anniversary of her transplant, she was reminded of how close she came to never seeing her daughters have children of their own.

She hoped others would consider organ donation, especially for kidneys, which now have one of the highest transplant survival rates.

1982 - born with one imperfect kidney and no bladder, parents told i would not survive
1984 - urostomy op
1990 - bladder built out of colon
2007 - birth of son, gfr fall from 3O to 26
July2011 - birth of prem daughter, gfr 17%
August2011 - gfr drop to 10%
29th May2012 - RECEIVED KIDNEY 4/6 match from my wonderful dad !
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »