I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:10:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Introduction
| |-+  Introduce Yourself
| | |-+  SSDI
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: SSDI  (Read 4647 times)
julies1963

« on: July 02, 2014, 06:24:19 PM »

I was diagnosed a year ago with Stage 5 Kidney failure.  I have been working until a few months ago.  I had to quit my job because it was just to much for me.  I have applied for disability.  I have been hearing different stories about how long it takes to get accepted and receive your first check.  Some say a few months, some say you have to wait 6 months.  Could you please share your experience with this?
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 08:01:32 PM »

I'm pretty sure it is six months.  But, my employer had disability insurance so they paid me the gap. 

nursey66

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 09:52:22 PM »

You have to be completly not working at all for 6 months , no part time either. My Hubby was hospitalized for 5 months , so it was easy for him to qualify. When I went to sign him up he had already been in the hospital 3 months. He also had short & long term disability from work that picked up the 6 month wait. It's really hard for people to exist 6 months with no income, which is why so many continue to work when it's really hard for them.
Darthvadar
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 12:53:09 AM »

Hello julies1963...

Can't offer any information on your query, I'm afraid... I'm not in the US...

Just wanted to say  :welcomesign; to IHD... Hope you get the answers you need...

Keep in touch....

Darth, Moderator...

Cared for my late mum, Elsie who had Kidney Failure... Darling mum died on July 15th 2014... May her gentle soul rest in peace....
Pod99966

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 12:10:53 PM »

I applied for SSDI in Dec. I stopped working in Jan. In March  I was told I was approved... but the approval "letter" (???) wouldn't be printed until July because of the backlog (whatever that means).

So I said, "Ok so I will see a check in July?'

Answer: "No, you will see you first check for the month of July... in August."

And that was automatically approved with no problems.
Shaks24

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2014, 12:02:31 PM »

I applied in November of 2013 and got first payment April of 2014.

Congestive heart failure 2011
Currently about 19% Kidney Function
September 11, 2013 PD Catheter and Fistula Surgery
September 27, 2013 Started PD
marlinfshr

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2014, 10:57:50 PM »

I was diagnosed with ESRD in May 2013. Started hemodialysis May 1st 2013 while in the hospital. Upon release at the hospital and starting HD in center in May I was told to apply for SSDI. I couldn't continue on in my career which is fishing so all was approved very quickly. My letter stated I would start receiving payments for the month of October in Nov. Towards the end of Nov, 2013i received my first deposit.
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2014, 03:59:16 AM »

I'm not in the US either, so I have no advice to give!  However, I did want to  :welcomesign; you to ihd.com!

Poppylicious, Moderator

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
julies1963

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2014, 11:12:51 AM »

Thanks for all your input.  I just don't understand how the government expects us to go so long with no money coming in.  We all have extra medical expenses, etc...
drawingdami

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2014, 11:47:42 PM »

Hiya Julies :welcomesign;

It took me two years. And a hearing. But that was because when I applied I hadn't started dialysis yet. That was hard--I was in between a rock and a hard place,My work hours were way too long, and I was getting sicker and sicker. Then I got laid off. I probably should have started dialysis earlier than I did, but I think my nephrologist at the time had a hidden agenda--but that's another story.

I applied and immediately got rejected, so I requested a hearing. Then I  called the local Bar Association and was referred to a lawyer who specializes in disability law. The fees were %25 of disability back pay--kind of high, but if I won, my disability start date would be when I applied initially, and they would pay for all those months I waited (except the 1st 6 months) If I lost, I wouldn't owe anything.

The hearing was stressful. The judge was really, really tough--but that is their job, I guess, to look for cracks in your story.  My lawyer said that that particular judge was one of the toughest--some are really easy.  But I stayed calm, because I knew I was being totally honest. The judge really tried to make me get upset, but I didn't.  About a month after the hearing, I got her ruling in the mail and I won. And then a week after that I started dialysis! ::) ::) I got my check for 19 months of back pay, minus legal fees, about a month after that, and then the regular monthly payment.

My advice to anyone is to apply pretty early and if you get rejected, ALWAYS ask for a hearing!

Transplant 03/7/97, 15th year coming up, but ol' guy is winding down....
Chest catheter re-inserted 3/27/12 (happy b-day to ME??)
Re-started hemo dialysis 3/31/12
Started NxStage home dialysis training 4/2/12
arm fistula placed 4/4/12
Awaiting cadaver donation since 3/12

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Beware of Dragons,
 For Ye be Crunchy and Good with Ketchup."
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2014, 06:31:01 AM »

Then I  called the local Bar Association and was referred to a lawyer who specializes in disability law. The fees were %25 of disability back pay--kind of high, but if I won, my disability start date would be when I applied initially, and they would pay for all those months I waited (except the 1st 6 months) If I lost, I wouldn't owe anything.

I got my check for 19 months of back pay, minus legal fees, about a month after that, and then the regular monthly payment.
I heard a radio story on some poor county with lots of disability cases (for lack of non physical job options) and I though that they said that appeals lawyers were paid by the disability program.  Is SSDI different?

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2014, 10:36:37 AM »

I heard a radio story on some poor county with lots of disability cases (for lack of non physical job options) and I though that they said that appeals lawyers were paid by the disability program.  Is SSDI different?
SS disability lawyers work on a contingency fee basis, however, there are govt regulations as to how much of the action (both as a % and total $) an attorney can take for SS disability case.  This is bread and butter work for attorneys who are not able to get the million dollar auto accident or malpractice victim to serve as their nipple.

25% is not "kind of steep" - contingency fees for slip and fall/whiplash run 33% and up, depending on the state.  And unlike "pain and suffering", you are not dealing with "skys the limit" with a SS disability case.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 10:37:43 AM by Simon Dog » Logged
drawingdami

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2014, 09:18:58 PM »

25% is not "kind of steep" - contingency fees for slip and fall/whiplash run 33% and up, depending on the state.  And unlike "pain and suffering", you are not dealing with "skys the limit" with a SS disability case.

I am sure, comparatively, the fees are in line with what is standard. However, for the person applying, the fees can be very steep--especially when you have an enormous amount of back bills you have to pay, since you can't work while you are waiting for a decision (at least that is what I was told by the NYC Bar). Months and months of debt piling up, and you don't really have a support system that can help, can be a financial nightmare.

So, "kind of steep" is very relative. For me, it was kind of steep.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 09:21:54 PM by drawingdami » Logged

Transplant 03/7/97, 15th year coming up, but ol' guy is winding down....
Chest catheter re-inserted 3/27/12 (happy b-day to ME??)
Re-started hemo dialysis 3/31/12
Started NxStage home dialysis training 4/2/12
arm fistula placed 4/4/12
Awaiting cadaver donation since 3/12

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Beware of Dragons,
 For Ye be Crunchy and Good with Ketchup."
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2014, 01:06:11 PM »

I believe SSDI contingency fees are capped at something like $6000.    So, I agree with you on "imposes a hardship" and "difficult to afford" - although they are, unfortunately, not "kind of steep" in the marketplace.

What I have not figured out is how the bar keeps rates at $300/hour+ when attorneys are in surplus and many are unemployed.  Normally, an excess of supply of a product results in a price reduction.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »