I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 09:18:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis
| | |-+  Containing trash
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Containing trash  (Read 4854 times)
JLM

« on: May 17, 2014, 03:55:43 PM »

I use 3 bags with my machine and I used to cram the outer bags into a garbage bag.  Now I stack the 3 waste bags then roll them like a jelly roll and put them into the cassette bag.  It seems they take up a lot less room in the trash bag and easier to get them in the bag.    Sometimes the littlest thing can make life a tad easier.  Go figger, eh?

I'm just where God wants me to be, not one step ahead nor one step behind.
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 07:12:03 PM »

Good idea.

I do 4 manuals daily, my trash can fills up pretty quickly.
Joe
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 01:11:45 PM »

Those of us that do/did PD generate a ton of trash! I was astounded by the amount.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.
Leave the rest to God...
amanda100wilson
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 07:54:26 PM »

JLM, I have always done that too.

ESRD 22 years
  -PD for 18 months
  -Transplant 10 years
  -PD for 8 years
  -NxStage since October 2011
Healthy people may look upon me as weak because of my illness, but my illness has given me strength that they can't begin to imagine.

Always look on the bright side of life...
Maggie and Jeff

Life as a Pincushion

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2014, 12:07:37 PM »

I also roll the cartages bag them in the one they come in and then use a grocery bag.

I have been thinking of making a  garbage compactor. 

The LORD is my light and my salvation--so why should I be afraid? The LORD is my fortress, protecting me from danger, so why should I tremble?

Jeff is the needle pusher Maggie is the pincushion.
Wat76

This Too Shall Pass

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 11:37:35 AM »

I put my old cartridge and empty bags back in the box after I am finish PD and just throw everything in the dumpter on my way to work in the mornings or we let them pile up on the hubby truck until we make a trash run.  I live in a rural area, and I am waiting for the county to complain. so far, so good.

PKD: PD started in February 2011.
Live, Laugh and Love daily.
JLM

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 05:08:24 PM »

All my boxes go to the Mission here in town, or to anybody who asks for them.  I can't tell you how many have been used by people needing them to pack up for a move.

I'm just where God wants me to be, not one step ahead nor one step behind.
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 07:26:56 PM »

I also roll the cartages bag them in the one they come in and then use a grocery bag.

Maggie and Jeff: I'm curious to know if you ever made your own trash compactor and what you came up with. Or is the "compactor" called the "Maggie and Jeff"?? (joke)  :rofl;

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
Maggie and Jeff

Life as a Pincushion

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 09:24:33 AM »

Maggie and Jeff: I'm curious to know if you ever made your own trash compactor and what you came up with. Or is the "compactor" called the "Maggie and Jeff"?? (joke)  :rofl;

So far the compactor is Jeff but this winter I may make one like this. http://www.howtogrowtobacco.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3437

The LORD is my light and my salvation--so why should I be afraid? The LORD is my fortress, protecting me from danger, so why should I tremble?

PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2014, 08:30:24 PM »

So far the compactor is Jeff but this winter I may make one like this. http://www.howtogrowtobacco.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3437

Thanks for providing that link, provided for some interesting reading and pics, as I've never even knew about those. I could see how baling garbage could open all kinds of ideas, maybe even for compost. We live in an apartment so I have to roll the cartridges up into the bag they came in and then put into our main garbage bag/trash bin until we are ready to take to the dumpster. This is sort off topic but, I go through a lot of paper towels just to dry my hands after washing before/during/after home treatments. As I use the papertowels, I lay them out flat across the edges of our dishrack in the kitchen (where I wash my hands) and they are dry in a couple hours. I reuse them for cleaning, like in the bathroom. 
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 08:32:15 PM by PrimeTimer » Logged

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
Maggie and Jeff

Life as a Pincushion

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2014, 10:35:07 AM »

I was leaning toward compacting all the household garbage.  As it is I can barely carry the contractor bags with rolled cartridges and sat upon by myself to tie them shut.  I think the bags weight near 80lbs.

Whatever, dialysis makes a ton or 2 of garbage every year.

Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2014, 08:14:19 AM »

PD bags and hoses add up quickly.  You would think that some company could take them all, drop them into a vat of something like acetone, melt it all down into a reuseable plastic liquid.  This would also sterilize any biological, so it shouldn't be any danger, other than the extreme flammability of the acetone.

I'm sure they could recover a huge amount of petro product.

Same with all the boxes.  The company doesn't care, they are making plenty of money using up resources the way they are.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »