I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 09, 2024, 07:16:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis - NxStage Users
| | |-+  Sak Recall
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sak Recall  (Read 88896 times)
Maggie and Jeff

Life as a Pincushion

« Reply #175 on: June 09, 2014, 07:34:54 PM »

Can the aluminum be removed via sweeting?

The LORD is my light and my salvation--so why should I be afraid? The LORD is my fortress, protecting me from danger, so why should I tremble?

Jeff is the needle pusher Maggie is the pincushion.
Hemodoc
Elite Member

« Reply #176 on: June 09, 2014, 10:05:48 PM »

Can the aluminum be removed via sweeting?

Yes, but not as efficiently as healthy kidneys, but sweat, urine, liver and feces are the routes of elimination of aluminum. However, excessive sweating in some dialysis patients may not be healthy.

Peter Laird, MD
www.hemodoc.info
Diagnosed with IgA nephropathy 1998
Incenter Dialysis starting 2-1-2007
Self Care in Center from 4-15-2008 to 6-2-2009
Started  Home Care with NxStage 6-2-2009 (Qb 370, FF 45%, 40L)

All clinical and treatment related issues discussed on this forum are for informational purposes only.  You must always secure your own medical teams approval for all treatment options before applying any discussions on this site to your own circumstances.
Hemodoc
Elite Member

« Reply #177 on: June 12, 2014, 06:13:02 PM »

Here is the article from the Boston Globe. There are several folks here on IHD that were contacted by the Boston Globe reporter. The article covers some of the basics, but I would have liked to have seen a better investigative report. In the end, we haven't learned anything new from the article.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2014/06/11/recall-fluid-used-home-dialysis-shocks-worries-patients/kUHgQHt90pw7OHx95PebSJ/story.html

Peter Laird, MD
www.hemodoc.info

All clinical and treatment related issues discussed on this forum are for informational purposes only.  You must always secure your own medical teams approval for all treatment options before applying any discussions on this site to your own circumstances.
Speedy1wrc

« Reply #178 on: June 12, 2014, 07:58:56 PM »

If NxStage wanted to keep it on the DL that idea is toast.

I'm just glad the word is out.

It was pretty soft however.
caregivertech1

« Reply #179 on: June 13, 2014, 08:25:09 AM »

So many unanswered questions for NxStage. Glad the article was written and thanks to those who participared. Still can't believe no lawsuites.
Hemodoc
Elite Member

« Reply #180 on: June 13, 2014, 11:36:52 AM »

So many unanswered questions for NxStage. Glad the article was written and thanks to those who participared. Still can't believe no lawsuites.

Lawsuits literally take years. That does not mean there won't be any in the near future. There is usually a 5-7 year statute of limitations. It takes time to find all the information a lawyer needs under discovery. That is just one more flawed aspect of her article.  Even the title is dismissive in itself. Good grief, patients are "upset." Patients get upset when they have to wait 10 minutes. I would state that this goes beyond upset by a wide, wide margin. To say the least, can we trust this company any longer.  Did they put profits ahead of patient safety? What caused a company with an excellent safety record to go to a company where the patients have serious doubts about continuing with this company? Where was the sentiment reflected in her article. And then to end with a financial analyst that states we have no choice. Good grief. Terrible reporting.

Peter Laird, MD
www.hemodoc.info

Dannyboy

« Reply #181 on: June 14, 2014, 10:24:53 AM »

Yes, the article left many questions unanswered.  I hope it is the start of more details forthcoming.
One point in the article that was news to me is that "140,000 to 150,000 units" were recalled.  That is a lot of SAKs. 
Hopefully NxStage will disclose the total number of treatments made with recalled SAKs, but I guess that would have to wait for legal discovery from what I'm hearing above.
Also discussed here:
http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=31234.0

ESRD Summer 2011
Started using NxStage September, 2011
"Everything is funny as long as it is happening to Somebody Else"--Will Rogers

Alcoa and Reynolds are in a bidding war to buy my serum Aluminum.
caregivertech1

« Reply #182 on: June 23, 2014, 09:37:16 AM »

Just FYI, after being in the 20's for a year our aluminum is now 13 after using the "uncontaminated" sacs. Still surprised they allow 10 micrograms in their processing as an upper limit. Wonder if that has been changed. I certainly hope so.
Hemodoc
Elite Member

« Reply #183 on: June 23, 2014, 09:59:01 AM »

Just FYI, after being in the 20's for a year our aluminum is now 13 after using the "uncontaminated" sacs. Still surprised they allow 10 micrograms in their processing as an upper limit. Wonder if that has been changed. I certainly hope so.

No, NxStage will not come anywhere near that in the future. Lessoned learned so to speak from top ranking corporate officials at NxStage that I spoke with about a week ago. I will finish up a post for my blog soon after I have had a chance to get feedback from a few different companies with associations to NxStage. I suspect all will either not respond or choose no comment. NxStage will not comment until the FDA report and investigation is completed due to regulatory constraint. But they do want to tell the story when they can.

But yes, the K/DOQI guidelines of 10 microgram/liter definitely are way too high.

Peter Laird, MD
www.hemodoc.info

Hemodoc
Elite Member

« Reply #184 on: June 23, 2014, 09:57:06 PM »

Here is my first post on Hemodoc for over a year on the NxStage aluminum issue. I hope this answers SOME of the questions surrounding this event. The final story will not be written without disclosure from NxStage after the FDA report is finalized. I cannot claim credit for this story since I came upon this information from an anonymous source who wishes to remain that way. I don't use confidential information in any of my posts since I have no legal department as a safety net so this is as far as I can take this story at this time. I look forward to the completion of the FDA report. This continues to be a significant event in many ways that needs full disclosure to prevent any similar or like occurance in the future.

http://www.hemodoc.info/2014/06/nxstage-aluminum-contamination-is-rockwell-medical-at-fault-1.html

Please note that my URL has changed to www.hemodoc.info. All prior posts can be accessed with the new URL.

Peter Laird, MD
www.hemodoc.info

obsidianom
Elite Member

« Reply #185 on: June 24, 2014, 08:14:34 AM »

I want to be the first to write, EXCELLANT BLOG/ARTICLE . You gave us what the newspaper article missed. At least we have a target now to look at in terms of whom is to blame. Its too bad the news paper didnt take the oportunity to go into the same depth, it may have helped a lot.
So thank you Hemodoc/Peter for getting your blog going again and writing about this issue we all dealt with .
In the end my only goal and concern is that this never happen again, no matter who is to blame. My wife still has very high aluminum levels. It was 44 last month. In 2 days we will see the latest. So we were effected a lot.
I still beleive in Nxstage and will continue to use it and support the company. I dont however trust Rockwell. I wont let my wife use their new drug, Triferic.

My wife is the most important person in my life. Dialysis is an honor to do for her.
NxStage since June 2012 .
When not doing dialysis I am a physician ,for over 25 years now(not a nephrologist)

Any posting here should be used for informational purposes only . Talk to your own doctor about treatment decisions.
caregivertech1

« Reply #186 on: June 24, 2014, 02:19:00 PM »

Ditto...Thank you Hemodoc.
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #187 on: June 24, 2014, 07:57:26 PM »

Thank you, Hemodoc for including the link to your article. This whole thing (SAK recall) has been upsetting and their quality control has lost some credibility. We will continue using NxStage products but this is very angering, very disappointing and downright scary.

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
Hemodoc
Elite Member

« Reply #188 on: June 24, 2014, 09:36:26 PM »

Thank you, Hemodoc for including the link to your article. This whole thing (SAK recall) has been upsetting and their quality control has lost some credibility. We will continue using NxStage products but this is very angering, very disappointing and downright scary.

Thank you again, but as noted above, this is not really my story.  There is more to the story, but from public records, this is all I could confirm.

As far as quality control, I will be writing a follow up article on the quality control issue. That will add a bit more to the picture, but until we have the FDA records, i don't believe we will be able to confirm all the details of this event from what is in the public record.

I did talk to the VP in charge of quality control and I do believe NxStage will make the necessary corrections in quality control especially when they outsource to other companies.  We will wait and see, but the folks I spoke with at NxStage, while not divulging details unknown to the public, did assure me that the FDA has a good working relationship with NxStage and they felt confident that the process will meet all "specs" and that their product will continue on the path it had previous to this event. I take them at their word at this point in time.

Peter Laird, MD
www.hemodoc.info

Dannyboy

« Reply #189 on: June 25, 2014, 07:00:17 AM »

Thanks for the link/blog posting.  Can't wait for "the rest of the story".

ESRD Summer 2011

Speedy1wrc

« Reply #190 on: June 26, 2014, 08:51:34 PM »

More of "the ret of the story".

I spoke with an official at NxStage as well. While we have assumed that these lot's slipped through the cracks, they didn't. We wondered how they could either not be testing or have missed that the aluminum level was high. Well get ready to be really angry because they did know the aluminum was high. And they knew it a year ago.

I was told that they, " didn't forsee any issues with upstream contamination". Yup, they knew about the problem and made an active decision to ignore it. Are you seething yet? I asked how could they do that, and the answer was that since they didn't have any reports of elevated aluminum levels or any reports of symptoms, they decided it wasn't a problem. Now you're spitting nails right? I told him that I know that was false since we reported several patients using SAK's as opposed to bag's who had dramatic and sudden elevation of aluminum levels. I will quote my nurse, she said "I was freaking out at them about this". I was promised that he would go back and find out what happened back then and get back to me. I am still waiting.

We all are wondering what NxStage is doing about this. In terms of the affected patients. Don't hold you breath, because they are doing NOTHING. Over and over I asked this and the answer I got every time was, "talk to your center". I said that they weren't the ones responsible for making us sick and the stonewalling kept going. Over and over, "talk to your center". I specifically asked what about long term problems, those which we can't predict at this point, and the answer was still the same.

the conversation was over the phone and while not in person, I do honestly believe he was stunned that there were patients who are sick. I think they stuck their head in the sand with this and I think I triggered a run down the hall to say, hey fella's we have a problem. He promised me that he would tell ME what has been done from a product standpoint to fix this. I told him back that they needed to tell everyone, not just me. That caught him off guard I felt. He said he would look into it and get back to me. I stopped holding my breath awhile back. I haven't heard from him since. I have a fw hours to kill tomorrow morning and I shall give him a call back to let him know I am not dropping this.

I made it clear that there were a lot of very upset patients and many who were showing distinct symptoms. I didn't get any apology, but he was served notice that they indeed have a problem they will need to deal with. I also let him know that this wasn't a whisper quiet discussion but that it was exploding over social media and they really needed to deal with it. Once again I was promised action. Yeah right.

I too am very upset. I have many symptoms and to put it bluntly, they made me sick.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 09:12:29 PM by Speedy1wrc » Logged
Hemodoc
Elite Member

« Reply #191 on: June 26, 2014, 10:07:40 PM »

Wow, if confirmed that changes things significantly. That is not good news. Thanks for the update. I didn't get any of that sort of information from the folks. I did ask them how they missed it and why it wasn't picked up in post production testing. Wow. That is not good. If that is in the FDA report, NxStage will take a big hit. Not good.  I was planning on doing a follow up post on the NxStage quality control failure. Looks like I have a lot more homework to do. Wow. If they knew and didn't take corrective action, that really opens them up to liability. Wow. That is perhaps the worst information about this whole mess I have heard yet.

Peter Laird, MD
www.hemodoc.info

iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #192 on: June 27, 2014, 05:48:40 AM »

I spoke with an official at NxStage as well.
I'm very surprised that they would even talk to you.  Being a corporation I'm sure that they have had some guidance from their legal department on what to say - nothing - and who to say it to - no one.  Even if an executive wanted to do say something publically I'm quite sure that their legal team would block it as much as possible.  They are in a protected situation where the centers are their clients, and they can defer all patient communication to the centers.  The legal team would re-enforce that relationship as much as possible because it prevents employees from talking to patients.

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
Dannyboy

« Reply #193 on: June 27, 2014, 08:25:09 AM »

Wow.  Speedy, no doubt you made notes on WHO you talked to, etc.

If the statements made to Speedy are owned up to by NxStage publicly, I can hear the NxStage "spin" coming here.....  "Yeah we knew the SAKs were 'beyond spec' but the issue didn't rise to the level serious enough to dump 140,000 already manufactured units...and also 'we had no reports of problems from the field' [FALSE as posters on IHD have stated]...' "

I can hear echoes of the Late Senator Howard Baker (during the Watergate Hearings)....[as if to NxStage]: "What did you know, and when did you know it?"

This thing is getting smellier by the day...and yeah, pisses me off big time as I too, have adverse symptoms.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 08:26:49 AM by Dannyboy » Logged

ESRD Summer 2011

Speedy1wrc

« Reply #194 on: June 27, 2014, 08:48:57 AM »

I don't know what will happen next. On the NxStage Users group on FB it has grown legs. Patients are now coming out and speaking up. Hopefully that will elicit some sort of reaction from NxStage.
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #195 on: June 27, 2014, 02:15:49 PM »

"Yeah we knew the SAKs were 'beyond spec' but the issue didn't rise to the level serious enough to dump 140,000 already manufactured units...and also 'we had no reports of problems from the field' [FALSE as posters on IHD have stated]...' "
If the NxStage contract negotiation team was on the ball, the supplier to NxStage, and not NxStage, would bear the financial risk of any product delivered to NxStage out of spec.   
Hemodoc
Elite Member

« Reply #196 on: June 27, 2014, 03:15:55 PM »

"Yeah we knew the SAKs were 'beyond spec' but the issue didn't rise to the level serious enough to dump 140,000 already manufactured units...and also 'we had no reports of problems from the field' [FALSE as posters on IHD have stated]...' "
If the NxStage contract negotiation team was on the ball, the supplier to NxStage, and not NxStage, would bear the financial risk of any product delivered to NxStage out of spec.

Being in "spec" is not enough. K/DOQI says 10 mcg/liter is fine. Well, it isn't. I spoke to Joe Turk and he used that term, all products today are "in spec." I didn't consider it at that time, but that is not actually reassuring to me. Purac produces products at 0.11 mcg/liter. 10 mcg/liter is a hundred times greater than the best lactate producer in the world. I hope and pray that NxStage is using the best producer of lactate. If not, I am DONE with them. Maybe not tomorrow, but done when I have an option I consider viable.

Peter Laird, MD
www.hemodoc.info

Speedy1wrc

« Reply #197 on: June 27, 2014, 05:37:08 PM »

The only problem with that is that NxStage knew it was "out of spec" and they decided to still use it. That is their problem right now.
Hemodoc
Elite Member

« Reply #198 on: June 27, 2014, 09:40:42 PM »

The only problem with that is that NxStage knew it was "out of spec" and they decided to still use it. That is their problem right now.

True and not good.

Peter Laird, MD
www.hemodoc.info

caregivertech1

« Reply #199 on: June 29, 2014, 05:22:56 AM »

Also Nxstage knew most centers only test for aluminum once or twice a year (or not at all). Our Al was tested at 25 the first week of June 2013 using saks not even on the recall list. If I'm Nxstage all I'd have to do is check with their own Spectra Labs and ask "Hey, any high aluminum numbers out there?". I'll bet they did and the coverup was on.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13 Go Up Print 
« previous next »