I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 10:23:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Am I overreacting?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Am I overreacting?  (Read 4426 times)
Adam_W
Elite Member

Me with Baron von Fresenius

« on: March 20, 2007, 12:24:38 PM »

As some of you already know from some of my previous posts, I have taken quite an interest in how my machine and treatment works, and a desire to do it all myself. I have been given the ability to do a few things myself, such as handling some of my alarms, but I can only do maybe 10 % of my treatment myself. I know how to do a lot more than that, but I'm not allowed by the centre. Usually it doesn't really bother me, and I'm content with what I am allowed to do. However, today, I just got very frustrated with sitting there knowing full well how to do something, and not being able to do it because of centre policy. What didn't help matters much was my tech hurting my feelings when I tried to politely correct her when she made a mistake with the machine (she thought the UF time was the remaining time for the whole treatment, and I lost a little bit of treatment time because she took me off when the UF time ended). I tried to point out the difference between the UF time and the RTD (2008H language for the remaining treatment time), and she basically said that I didn't know squat, and that she was right. She wasn't totally rude, but she was WAY too insistent, so I just shut up, sat there, and let her take me off early. I didn't want to raise a fuss with her because she is still my friend and I'm not the kind of person to want to make a scene. So, basically, am I overreacting with my frustration, and should I just be grateful I even have the centre to go to, or is my frustration at not being able to help very much justified? Take care.

Adam

-Diagnosed with ESRD (born with one kidney, hypertension killed it) Jan 21st, 2007
-Started dialysis four days later in hospital (Baxter 1550-I think, then Gambro Phoenix)
-Started in-centre dialysis Feb 6th 2007 (Fres. 2008H)
-Started home hemo June 5th 2007 (NxStage/Pureflow)
-PD catheter placed June 6th 2008 (Bye bye NxStage, at least for now)
-Started CAPD July 4th, 2008
-PD catheter removed Dec 2, 2008-PD just wouldn't work, so I'm back on NxStage
-Kidney function improved enough to go off dialysis, Feb. 2011!!!!!
-Back on dialysis (still NxStage) July 2011 :(
-In-centre self-care dialysis March 2012 (Fresenius 2008K)
-Not on transplant list yet.

"Don't live for dialysis, use dialysis to LIVE"
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 01:25:05 PM »

Making a scene will not end the friendship with that tech.  Good God! It is YOUR treatment time she limited and it is your health she is hurting.  Are you going to do something about it? Damn right you are! Next time get the supervisor over there and explain things to them. Have them explain it to the tech. No niceness is needed when they are in the wrong.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
MJB

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 03:39:10 PM »

Hey Adam,

I know how you feel. Why don't you give NxStage a try? I can guarantee it's all on you then. The only help you will get is if you ask. I do feel much more in control of my treatments.

Good Luck.

Mike

1994-1998 CCPD
1998-2002 Transplant
2002-2004 In-Center Hemo
2004-2006 Transplant
April 2006 NxStage System One
September 2006 NxStage PureFlow
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 04:09:06 PM »

Go to www.ilovenxstage.com

Epoman swore by the freedom of using the Nxstage system. He loved it.
Adam_W
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 04:25:44 PM »

I'm already on the waiting list for the NxStage program, but the waiting list to start training is an agonizing four to six months. With the issues I'm dealing with right now in the centre, it feels like it might as well be four to six years.  :(

-Diagnosed with ESRD (born with one kidney, hypertension killed it) Jan 21st, 2007
-Started dialysis four days later in hospital (Baxter 1550-I think, then Gambro Phoenix)

George Jung

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007, 11:04:54 PM »

You should defiantly say something.  I think you did the right thing though by letting it go the first time and showing respect.  If I were that employee it would probably be hard for me to take criticism or be corrected by anyone who is not on the job.  Maybe approach her before/after your shift?
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2007, 11:35:33 PM »

Can you get a print out from the 2008H manual?  One that defines the terms/symbols.  If you can show it to her in black and white, you won't have to argue about it.

And no, you are not overreacting!  This is your health, not hers.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Wattle
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2007, 02:43:37 AM »

Can you get a print out from the 2008H manual?  One that defines the terms/symbols.  If you can show it to her in black and white, you won't have to argue about it.

And no, you are not overreacting!  This is your health, not hers.

I agree with Jbeany. Get a print out and ask the unit supervisor to clarify the issue. Just say you were confused with the difference between the UF time and the RTD. You don't have to argue about it, just politely find out the right answer in front of the tech who told you "you know squat".    >:D

PKD
June 2005 Commenced PD Dialysis
July 13th 2009 Cadaveric 5/6 Antigen Match Transplant from my Special Angel
AlasdairUK

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2007, 03:25:36 AM »

I'm lucky as my unit encourages me to do as much as I want, I set up the machine and if it alarms during a session and I know what to do I'll fix it. This helps the staff as they do not need to always have to run over to the machine and when it does alarm.

Always question a member of staff if you disagree with them, even if you are wrong. It should be the nursing staff who are professionals who should explain things to you. They should be pointing things out and explaining in full.

94 - PD for 3 months
94 - HD Permcath for 3 months
95 - RLD Transplant 10 years
2005 - HD Permcath 6 months
2006 - 2008 HDF Fistula
2008 - 2nd Transplant
Meinuk

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2007, 05:58:14 AM »

Can you get a print out from the 2008H manual?  One that defines the terms/symbols.

This might help.

http://fmcna.com/productsdoc.html

Research Dialysis Units:  http://projects.propublica.org/dialysis/

52 with PKD
deceased donor transplant 11/2/08
nxstage 10/07 - 11/08;  30LS/S; 20LT/W/R  @450
temp. permcath:  inserted 5/07 - removed 7/19/07
in-center hemo:  m/w/f 1/12/07
list: 6/05
a/v fistula: 5/05
NxStage training diary post (10/07):  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=5229.0
Newspaper article: Me dialyzing alone:  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=7332.0
Transplant post 11/08):  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=10893.msg187492#msg187492
Fistula removal post (7/10): http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=18735.msg324217#msg324217
Post Transplant Skin Cancer (2/14): http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=30659.msg476547#msg476547

“To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of thought.” - Henri Poincare
leafsunbear

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2007, 06:17:49 AM »

Are you using a catheter?  How are your treatments going IN-center?  Are you using the largest filter?  What is your albumin and other blood levels?  If you can prove that your life is dependant on the NxStage machine, they may bump you up on the list.  This happened to me,  but I was barely holding on with IN-center treatments.  NxStage hasn't solved everything,  but it has been very helpfiull.
LSB

http://360.yahoo.com/leafsunbear
My ramblings about life in general for me on Yahoo360
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2007, 07:20:34 AM »

Just remember, you can't be everyone's friend.

But if they are truly your friend, then they should understand that every minute counts.     ;)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2007, 08:53:15 AM »

Everyone has offered such great advice I dont really have anything new to add... I do not think you were in the wrong, it's your health and shortening your dialysis time isn't going to help it.

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
nextnoel

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2007, 09:06:41 AM »

No, you're absolutely not overreacting - what could be more important than looking out for your own health & treatment? 

I can't reach the hill like I used to, but I'm not at a standstill yet!
Adam_W
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2007, 11:58:21 AM »

Are you using a catheter?  How are your treatments going IN-center?  Are you using the largest filter?  What is your albumin and other blood levels?  If you can prove that your life is dependant on the NxStage machine, they may bump you up on the list.  This happened to me,  but I was barely holding on with IN-center treatments.  NxStage hasn't solved everything,  but it has been very helpfiull.
LSB
I do have a catheter, and I'm running the full four hours on a high-flux dialyzer. I've usually only been able to run about 350 ml/min. pump speed because of the catheter. I'll be getting my lab results back tomorrow, so I'll see how my blood levels are. Because I can only run three days/week, my physical (and emotional) condition feels like it's on one big roller coaster ride every week. I don't know if I could get bumped ahead in the NxStage waiting list or not, but I'll see what they might say. It sure would help.

jedimaster

Stainboy is....alive!!!

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2007, 01:25:41 PM »

You have the right to learn and to take care of yourself. I agree that you should talk to your friend and if he makes a scene, then move up to the supervisor. Nobody will take care of you better than...YOU!
Adam_W
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2007, 06:14:39 PM »

I actually have a complete operator's manual for the 2008H, and I had it with me. I just wish I had it out of my bag when she said what she did. Somewhat related to that, a few days before this incident, I had a new tech in charge of me, and she was still not knowledgeable about every part of the machine. She was trying, and failing to access my average blood flow and average dialysate flow to put on my run record. After several attempts, she actually asked ME to look it up in the manual, because I happened to have my copy of the manual out at the time. Me and this particular tech are very close friends and we joke around a lot, so I like to jokingly tell her that I will never let her live down the fact that she had to ask the PATIENT how to run the machine >:D.

luckaholic

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2007, 05:15:04 AM »

If you think someone is doing something wrong with your machine/treatment, you absolutely should speak up! If they wont listen, ask for the one in charge. It is so much better doing it yourself, you dont have to worry about having 10 different people fiddling with your machine.
I have had a big stuff up by one of the nurses when I had to go incentre, she dialed in my UF wrong, and at the time I didnt know how to operate those machines. I went in 6 litres overloaded and came home with the same amount on. I ended up going into emergency the next morning as I couldnt breathe. I made sure I rang the unit that night to tell them what went wrong (didnt realise until i got home). Apparently that nurse felt extremely bad about it. I now know how to operate those machines and when I go in centre I do it all myself. Unless I am unwell I dont, but I still check that everything has been set up right.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2007, 05:36:57 PM »

Words to live by in a dialysis center:
   Always check it yourself every time!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »