I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:50:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Off-Topic: Talk about anything you want.
| | |-+  Okay, Mum has embarrassed me AGAIN!... How have your parents made you cringe???.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Okay, Mum has embarrassed me AGAIN!... How have your parents made you cringe???.  (Read 5406 times)
Darthvadar
Elite Member

« on: May 13, 2014, 04:58:49 AM »

A young registrar at the hospital who in fairness is bigger than I am, was wearing a blue scrub suit when she visited Mum on the ward... Mum mentioned that the colour suited her, she said 'But Elsie, do the trousers make my bum big???'... Mum being Mum replied  quick as a flash... 'It's not the trousers, Love!'...

Thank God the doc has a sense of humour, and had to go and change the scrub suit, VERY quickly... Yes, the poor girl literally wet herself with laughter!... She said it's the best thing that happened to her since she became a doctor... Her exact words were 'If only I could rely on everyone for that level of honesty, my job would be much easier, and far more fun!'...

Oh dear, where did I get Mum from at all???...

I can't be the only one... What has your Mum or Dad done to make you squirm???...

Love to all...

Darth...

Cared for my late mum, Elsie who had Kidney Failure... Darling mum died on July 15th 2014... May her gentle soul rest in peace....
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 01:34:13 PM »

Caro, we all know YOUR Mum is exceptional!!!! LOL, Good for her!!

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 09:34:44 PM »

:rofl; hahaahhahah! very funny!

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Darthvadar
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 12:09:53 AM »

Well, they say the apple doesn't fall far from the tree!!!!....

Can't take her anywhere!!!... No actually, I can take her somewhere twice... Second time to apologise!...

Darth....

Cared for my late mum, Elsie who had Kidney Failure... Darling mum died on July 15th 2014... May her gentle soul rest in peace....
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2018, 02:28:01 PM »

I was looking for a thread when I came across this old one. Still makes me laugh. Your "mum" was quite the funny gal!

Hubby was adopted and raised by an Italian family. His adoptive mother called today....she found a box in the garage with some of his old adoption papers. She called to let him know what his Scottish name was and REAL birthdate. Apparently he's a day older. She just wanted him to know. Ooookay!

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2018, 05:11:27 PM »

One of the nice things about having a exceptional parent is that after they have passed the memories still bring a smile to brighten your day.
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2018, 09:38:52 PM »

One of the nice things about having a exceptional parent is that after they have passed the memories still bring a smile to brighten your day.

Drum roll xxxxxxx  Only in some cases it might depend on which parent has passed.  BA BOOM!  :rofl;   

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
Darthvadar
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2018, 12:44:09 AM »

Oh Lord, yes!!!!!...

I think they were put on Earth to embarrass us...

Another young Registrar (Irish equivalent of Resident in the US)  in the hosp. was a lovely guy... A fine big hunk of prime Nigerian beef!!!... He was certainly Mum's 'type'...

Anyway, he knocked a box of tissues off the top of Mum's bedside locker, and bent to pick them up... Mum being Mum eyed up the 'scenery' and at the top of her voice said "Ooooh, nice buns... I wonder if they came fresh in from the bakery this morning!".... I was MORTIFIED!!!!!!!.... The doc left the ward in convulsions of laughter!!!!!...

Darth....

Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2018, 06:30:00 PM »

Your Mum sounds a lot like my Grandmother.

She told it like it is and never pulled any punches.

I will miss her always.
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2018, 06:15:18 AM »

At my age, I do not worry about my parents embarrassing me.   It is my kid who worries about me embarrassing her.
Darthvadar
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2018, 08:17:55 AM »

At my age, I do not worry about my parents embarrassing me.   It is my kid who worries about me embarrassing her.

Indeed!!!....

There is a saying "Avenge yourself...  Live enough to be an embarrassment to your children!"...

Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2019, 05:07:11 AM »

I don't know if my parents have ever really embarrassed me.  I guess I'm lucky in that sense. *G*

My best friend and I, however, can embarrass my mom, and have. *LOL*  One of the first times I met my best friend, Kelly, we had been on the Staten Island ferry, and had just gotten off on the Manhattan side.  We were on an escalator, headed down to street level.  I must have gotten on first, because I remember turning around and looking up at Kelly and Mom.  Kelly, who was between me and Mom, looked off into space and started singing.  She does this a lot, and I'm not sure if she realizes what she's singing sometimes.  If my memory serves me, this particular time the song was an off color version of It's a Small World After All.  Mom was mortified.  The look on her face was priceless.  She even took a step back up the escalator.  I thought it was hilarious.  I remember thinking that anyone who could make my mother react like that was a keeper. *L*  That was 2007.  I'm sure we've embarrassed her many times since then.  I seem to remember us holding hands and skipping down the street, but I don't remember where it was.  It's possible that it was the same day we rode the ferris wheel at Toys R Us Times Square.  Mom thought we were nuts to do that too.  I'm kinda glad we did, since it's not there anymore.

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »