I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 10, 2024, 12:28:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  FREE TALK: Hernias in Dialysis and Polycystic Kidney Disease Patients
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: FREE TALK: Hernias in Dialysis and Polycystic Kidney Disease Patients  (Read 2735 times)
EndPKD

« on: May 12, 2014, 07:30:21 AM »

When: May 25, 2014, 2pm-4pm
Where: St. Joseph's Healthcare Hamilton, Classroom B (T2208), 2nd Floor, Juravinski Innovation Tower, 50 Charlton Avenue East, Hamilton, ON, L8N 4A6

Putting fluid into the peritoneal cavity for peritoneal dialysis (PD) leads to an increase in intra-abdominal pressure. This can occasionally lead to complications such as hernias and leaks of dialysis fluid out of the peritoneal cavity. Patients whose cause of kidney failure is polycystic kidney disease (PKD) may be at risk for these complications due to enlarged kidneys/liver reducing the volume capacity of the peritoneal cavity.

Dr. Joanne Bargman will explain how, despite this, PKD patients can do very well on PD, a home dialysis method allowing patients greater control over their therapy.

Dr. Bargman is an award winning staff Nephrologist at the University Health Network (UHN) and Professor of Medicine at the University of Toronto. She is Director of Peritoneal Dialysis for the UHN, and co-director of the Combined Renal-Rheumatology Lupus Clinic for the UHN. Dr. Bargman is also co-author of the chapter “Chronic Kidney Disease” in the 17th, 18th and upcoming 19th editions of Harrison’s Principles of Internal Medicine.

This presentation is part of an ongoing series of two-hour informational support meetings hosted by the Hamilton Chapter of the PKD Foundation of Canada.  They are open to the public, free of charge and the venue is wheelchair accessible.  Local street parking (free) and hospital parking (payment required) is available. Registration is not required.

Info: http://endpkd.ca/chapters/hamilton/
kporter85db

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 01:08:53 PM »

When: May 25, 2014, 2pm-4pm
Where: St. Joseph's Healthcare Hamilton, Classroom B (T2208), 2nd Floor, Juravinski Innovation Tower, 50 Charlton Avenue East, Hamilton, ON, L8N 4A6

Putting fluid into the peritoneal cavity for peritoneal dialysis (PD) leads to an increase in intra-abdominal pressure. This can occasionally lead to complications such as hernias and leaks of dialysis fluid out of the peritoneal cavity. Patients whose cause of kidney failure is polycystic kidney disease (PKD) may be at risk for these complications due to enlarged kidneys/liver reducing the volume capacity of the peritoneal cavity.

I had to stop doing PD last year because I developed a hernia and was leaking fluid out of my peritoneum. I gained about 40 lbs in two or three months.

I do not have PKD though.

May/2010 Sulfa based antibiotics killed my already weakened kidneys, almost
Feb/2011 PD catheter placed
July/2011 Started Peritoneal Dialysis
Nov/2013 Started NxStage 5 days/week

Ken
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »