I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 02:23:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Internet access
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Internet access  (Read 6445 times)
secondchance

live in bahamas but stuck in the US

« on: February 12, 2006, 08:47:40 PM »

for all that is paid to Davita for each treatment, couldn't they at least spring for the $69.99 for a wireless router?!

Live to die another day....
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2006, 11:26:35 PM »

for all that is paid to Davita for each treatment, couldn't they at least spring for the $69.99 for a wireless router?!

Yeah, I would love to have internet access during dialysis, the time would fly by. By the way "secondchance" please go to the "Introduce Yourself" section and tell us a little something about yourself.

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
DaVitaJohn

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2006, 02:42:17 PM »

Would like to talk to you further about your idea of wireless internet access on the treatment floor.
Please reply, lets start a discussion, see where we can go with this.

John
Black
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2006, 10:09:45 PM »

Would be nice if some of the companies who regularly replace their slightly out of date laptops would donate them for patient use at the dialysis clinics.

Lorelle

Husband Mike Diagnosed with PKD Fall of 2004
Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
Started diaysis 2/5/07 on NxStage
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2006, 11:02:14 PM »

If you don't ask they don't know the need is there. Contact some companies and ask. All they can do is say no.

Katherine
« Last Edit: March 21, 2006, 03:41:51 AM by Rerun » Logged

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2006, 09:28:15 PM »

If you don't ask they don't know the need is there. Contact some companies and ask. All they can do is say no.

Katherine

Good idea! but the dialysis center would need wireless access unless they had a network jack by every machine, or unless you used a cell phone and a wireless card for the laptop. But I wonder if we could get some laptops donated here, to be given to members here via a raffle or for a small donation (I say donation too keep people from signing up JUST to get a free laptop). So Katherine want to do some work for the site?

- Epoman

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator

Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2006, 06:26:01 AM »

There is not enough room at my chair for what I bring now, let alone a laptop.  They don't have a place for coats.  I think these dialysis centers need "lockers" for us in the back.  I hate dragging all my crap back and forth.  Anyway, good idea on getting donated laptops.

Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2006, 08:43:16 AM »

There is not enough room at my chair for what I bring now, let alone a laptop.  They don't have a place for coats.  I think these dialysis centers need "lockers" for us in the back.  I hate dragging all my crap back and forth.  Anyway, good idea on getting donated laptops.

How about your "LAP" get it Laptop.  ;D >:D ;)

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2006, 09:55:20 PM »

I been sick......  :( :(But I will look into what I can find out.  I am a brassy asker, I have a firm belief that the most anyone can tell me is "NO!")   So what?!  I can ask someone else.  Give me time to feel better.  I will see what I can dig up.

Katherine
« Last Edit: July 29, 2006, 01:09:33 PM by kitkatz » Logged

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
dialysta

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2006, 12:35:32 PM »

http://www.nwkidney.org/ways2help/supports/patientservices.html
Internet Access during Dialysis:
NKC's unique program allows patients to access the Internet via chair-side laptops while on dialysis. Volunteers train patients on computer and Internet usage. Patients report that by using the Internet, they have turned "lost" time during dialysis into "found" time for work, study, or connecting with family and friends.

There is a bunch of info on how it started and what is available

http://www.speakeasy.org/~bpeckham/internet.html

http://www.nwkidney.org/morenews/internet.html

http://www.nwkidney.org/images/website/docs/InternetArticleNNI.pdf
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2006, 09:13:06 PM »

Cool!  I'm going to Seattle in July and have to dialyze there once maybe twice.  I hope I get a laptop!

Thanks for the information.   :D

Black
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2006, 09:13:31 PM »

Katherine

I contacted an employee at local GE office and he said all of their old computers are traded in on the new ones -- don't know if that is just here in this area or company wide.  I'll contact higher up and see what they say.

Lorelle

Husband Mike Diagnosed with PKD Fall of 2004
Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
Started diaysis 2/5/07 on NxStage
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2006, 12:40:01 AM »

Katherine

I contacted an employee at local GE office and he said all of their old computers are traded in on the new ones -- don't know if that is just here in this area or company wide.  I'll contact higher up and see what they say.

Awesome, I would love to be able to give our members laptops. Let me know what you find out.

- Epoman

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator

dialysta

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2006, 01:00:31 PM »

That pdf link above is to an article that states:
"We do not accept donated used laptops. We insist that
NKC-provided laptops be purchased following our standards.
We often receive inquiries about donating used business or
personal laptops. While the offer is tempting, the cost of dedicating
information system staff to configure and problemsolve
is far too expensive for NKC to absorb."

This makes some sense but if the laptops were given to individuals then it would be less of an issue.  One reason companies don't donate is also because of the cost of deleting any info from the drive.  Maybe when you ask include info on how you'll wipe the drive completely.

http://www.nwkidney.org/images/website/images/news/out12_1_2005.pdf mentions that the Gates Foundation was involved with "a donation of equipment" maybe they would be willing to help other units.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2006, 01:02:21 PM by dialysta » Logged
Tracy Lynn

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2006, 06:03:35 PM »

I work for a non profit foundation that sells computers to people with Life Barriers for reduced prices. My job at the Foundation is A) manage our website and all related stuff and B) teach people how to use the computers.

Let me see if I can talk to my boss about this. There is grant money out there for programs like this; the Omidyar Network, federal programs, your local Dept of Vocational Rehabilitation are all places that may have funds to help you with getting a computer.

My unit says no wireless because it may interfere with the machines. I think it's crap, but Mike, who knows everything about the machines, says it's true.

Filled with hate, like a bitter, raging Twinkie
hyperlite

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2006, 07:50:17 PM »

I use my computer with wireless internet all the time at dialysis...hasn't caused any problems with the machines
Panda_9

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2006, 05:53:15 PM »

I would love to have internet while on the machine! Ive got net at home obviously, but I cant use it while Im on the machine. Around the time when Im setting up and going on the machine, is usually when I like to get on here and talk to friends and use the forums, but I cant as the computer is in another room. It wont fit in with the machine. I recently have had to go dialyse in centre and you have to share a TV between 2-3 people, AND you have to have your own headphones if you want to listen to the TV. And if you want to change channels you have to hassle the nurses to do it, which I dont like asking. I think the internet would make the time go very fast!!! Ive already been sitting here for 1.5 hours and it hasnt even felt that long.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »