I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 06:41:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis
| | |-+  What do you do with all these boxes?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What do you do with all these boxes?  (Read 5790 times)
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« on: April 21, 2014, 08:00:01 PM »

On PD almost a year now and doing 4 manuals a day.

The number of carboard boxes adds up to quite a pile flattened and stacked in the corner of my garage.

After giving 50 or 60 to friends that had to move, I still have way over one humdred stacked up taller than I am.

These are serious heavy duty boxes, I can bear the thought of tossing them into the trash and ending up in a landfill.

This was a LOT of trees.

Multiplied by the number of people on home dialysis, that's a tremendous amount of resource.

And all the plastic, if it could be melted down and recycled it could add up to a LOT of oil.

I don't know if this plastic is petro or organic based oil, but either way this is a tremendous amount of resources being trashed.

I once thought the local newspaper should pick up yesterdays paper as they deliver todays.  Think of how much paper they could save annually by recycling most of their own paper.

If the Baxter truck picked up the flattened boxes, and maybe the drained bags stuffed into large trash bags.  How much money could Baxter save recycling their own product waste?

How do we get this started?
JLM

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 09:51:46 PM »

I donate my empty boxes to the local mission.  My cleaning lady takes them there every two weeks when she comes here.  I have the room to stack them 14 high.  Sometimes I am starting on a third stack if something happens and she missed a week.  I keep the end flaps down and raise the side flaps and then just nestle on top of each other.  I get 3 enpty boxes every 2 days.

I'm just where God wants me to be, not one step ahead nor one step behind.
Uptownlifer

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 10:47:26 PM »

I've been on PD since last December and yes, those boxes are very heavy duty cardboard. I love in Southern California and our city trash pickup has recycling, but also there are people here who drive around collecting cardboard to take to the recycling center themselves and make a few bucks. I met one guy who does this and told him to come by and get my boxes every week. I add a box to my stack a day, and I also have pondered all the other PD patients and their boxes, and all the plastic that goes into the cassettes for the cycler machine, after imagining just a few hundred thousand patients my brain can't even imagine anymore where all this stuff comes from.
Joe
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 07:02:20 AM »

I always put mine out with the recycling. It does get to be quite an impressive stack! I was also the box supplier for a number if people that moved. The boxes are perfect for about 90% of everything! and you can't pack them too full. They also stack perfectly, which is a bonus.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.
Leave the rest to God...
Whamo
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 11:32:01 AM »

I have a neighbor that tears apart old cars for parts, LIncolns, and he uses the boxes to store or ship them.
JW77

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2014, 10:38:46 AM »

Mine go out with the recycling.  But there's always Freecycle, that way they get used again before disposal/recyceling

Creator of London Kidney Social: https://www.facebook.com/groups/LondonKidneySocial/

Medical stuff, includes 3 kidneys, cancer, meningitis, 1 heart attack and its long and not that interesting! Maybe one day I'll write a book.! `

I have an eclectic taste in music, I fly kites, I read, write, tog, blog and have a bit of a passion for multicellular eukaryotes, and kites.

Founder of Kites4Kidneys - Start making your kites for WKD 2015..
https://www.facebook.com/kites4kidneys
kporter85db

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2014, 10:33:45 PM »

If the Baxter truck picked up the flattened boxes, and maybe the drained bags stuffed into large trash bags.  How much money could Baxter save recycling their own product waste?

How do we get this started?

While a worthwhile endeavor, recycling doesn't usually save money. But it does save resources and should be done.

We recycle our boxes through our trash pickup company. You can't recycle biological medical waste, so the plastic is not recyclable.

May/2010 Sulfa based antibiotics killed my already weakened kidneys, almost
Feb/2011 PD catheter placed
July/2011 Started Peritoneal Dialysis
Nov/2013 Started NxStage 5 days/week

Ken
Darthvadar
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 12:30:08 AM »

Is there a food bank near you???...

Those super-sturdy boxes would be perfect for packing food into....

Darth...

Cared for my late mum, Elsie who had Kidney Failure... Darling mum died on July 15th 2014... May her gentle soul rest in peace....
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2014, 11:07:14 AM »

You can't recycle biological medical waste, so the plastic is not recyclable.
Some DaVita centers had a pilot program for recycling dialyzers, though this was obviously a specialized procedure.
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2014, 03:51:09 PM »

Darth...

That's a good idea.

There is a Church nearby that has a monthly food-bank program.

I have to stop by as I don't know the name of the Church.

Thanks!
Darthvadar
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2014, 11:34:12 PM »

Darth...

That's a good idea.

There is a Church nearby that has a monthly food-bank program.

I have to stop by as I don't know the name of the Church.

Thanks!

You're welcome!...

I'm sure the boxes will get a good home at the food bank!...

Darth....

Cared for my late mum, Elsie who had Kidney Failure... Darling mum died on July 15th 2014... May her gentle soul rest in peace....
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »