I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 03:39:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Off-Topic: Talk about anything you want.
| | |-+  Discover your inner Couch Potato! Talk television here:
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Discover your inner Couch Potato! Talk television here:  (Read 10424 times)
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« on: March 26, 2014, 04:08:59 AM »

Who is watching what on the small screen? Discuss.

Gwyn and I finished watching all six episodes of the comedy series Ja'mie: Private School Girl (pronounced Zha-MAY with a French 'j' sound).

I heard about it when a newspaper said that television's greatest high school girl was played by a 39-year-old Australian man. Chris Lilley is so bang-on with this character that it's a little too easy to forget he's a middle-aged male. It does have some pretty graphic sexual talk, but nothing too gross in the way of bathroom humour, the latter being something I really hate. (Or perhaps I'm just getting better at blocking it out....) Gwyn and I really enjoyed it, apparently it's a spin-off from a series called Summer Heights High that Chris Lilley created a few years ago. Now I want to go back and find those other two series as a few Brits have told me those are brilliant.

Other than that, I'm just watching old episodes of Would I Lie to You. Love that show!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 07:47:22 AM by cariad » Logged

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 05:17:28 AM »

I have been unwell so many times in my life that I actually almost fear not being well enough to do the things I love to do and "being only able to watch a film" -  any film,
because I am not well enough to do what I would really like to do... like going for a walk or taking part in a discussion ... or listening to a lecture ...
... or playing the piano ... or learning a new piece on the piano ... or listening to baroque music by Correlly, Vivaldi, Bach, Haendel or any other baroque composer...

I don't have any TV, I am not connected to any TV and I don't watch any TV  -  but on the occasion that I am too unwell to do what I really would love to do,
I do have a little collection of favourite "cheer-up" films on Video/DVD to make a grim day less grim... whilst I am eagerly looking forward to feel a bit better again...

... I really look forward each and every time to be able again to do the things I really love to do and continue to learn and study more...  life is so very short anyway...

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
cattlekid
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 07:25:41 AM »

DH and I only watch one show religiously....Revenge on ABC here in the States.  I think we are the only two folks among our acquaintances that watch it, but it seems to be popular enough that ABC has renewed it for a fourth season.  We really wish it would all end this year as we have been watching it from the beginning and want to know how it will end, but they keep adding new characters to drag it all out.  I would be interested to see if anyone else here has been watching it and if they agree with us that it just needs to end already.   
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 12:54:14 PM »

I like Portlandia and The Voice, and Fox News. (fair and balanced)
Late Night with David Letterman and then another late show with Seth Myers.

amanda100wilson
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 12:56:03 PM »

Cattlekid, I watch Revenge too. I wish that it would finish, as I think that it has run its course.  Nonetheless, I keep watching!

ESRD 22 years
  -PD for 18 months
  -Transplant 10 years
  -PD for 8 years
  -NxStage since October 2011
Healthy people may look upon me as weak because of my illness, but my illness has given me strength that they can't begin to imagine.

Always look on the bright side of life...
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 10:29:51 PM »

WWE Raw and Smackdown

Ghosthunters

Long Island Medium

Bones
Emergency

I love my Netflix subscription!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 11:38:56 PM »

Blacklist with James Spader. Talk about suspense!! Also, Grays Anatomy, Two broke girls, Mike and Molly, Revolution, NCIS, NCIS LA. Person of interest, Arrow. one of my Favs, Chopped, a food cooking show, and Jimmy Fallon!!! Of course, I don't lay on the couch, have my recliner chair, but, yeah, I could sit all day and watch TV.

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
Sugarlump
Elite Member

10 years on and off dialysis

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2014, 01:36:29 AM »

I am really hooked on Person of Interest ... it's quite confusing sometimes but equally compelling, I like the idea that one of those machines actually exists!!! 8)

10 years of half a life
3 years HD 1st transplant Feb 08 failed after 3 months
Back to HD 2nd transplant Dec 10 failed after 11 months
Difficult times with a femoral line and catching MSSA (Thank you Plymouth Hospital)
Back on HD (not easy to do that third time around)
Fighting hard (two years on) to do home HD ... watch this space!
Oh and I am am getting married 1/08/15 to my wonderful partner Drew!!!
The power of optimism over common sense :)
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2014, 12:23:32 PM »

And, Sugar, for all we know, one already exists!!!!

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
big777bill

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2014, 04:19:08 PM »

Justified, Vikings and Bones are some of my favorites. ;)

liver transplant 3/22/2005
CKD 2008

fistula 11/17/2011
 catheter 2/07/2012
 started  hemo-dialysis in center 2/07/2012
 fistula transposition 3/08/2012
 NxStage at home  3/29/2012
 Using fistula at home 6/25/2012
 Using new NxStage S High-Flow cycler 3/04/2014
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2014, 11:57:24 PM »

I do not share the love of Ja'me but that's all up to personal taste :)

For me I've enjoyed recently True Detective - some mighty fine performances there. The style took some getting used to, but it was fascinating and I did have to see it through to the end :)

I loved the ep of Portlandia recently with the master Steve Buscemi in it playing.. well.. Celery heh. hilarious. very clever. That takes me to still really enjoying Boardwar Empire.

Oprhan Black I've gotten into recently, with a new series next month. Interesting ideas and done well.

I continue to be a big fan of The Walking Dead and am eagerly counting down to Game of Thrones returning.. even though I am still ploughing through the 5th book.

There are many others but these are all I can think of for now.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2014, 08:54:23 AM »

Like you, RichardMEL, I cannot WAIT until Orphan Black and Game of Thrones return to our screens.  I've read the first four books of A Song of Ice and Fire and have the fifth, but I will not start that one until Season 4 is over.  And wasn't True Detective the creepiest damn show ever on TV? 

We are regular viewers of Justified and are looking forward to the season finale next week.  Each season they write in a new bad guy, usually played by an award winning actor/actress, after having summarily killed off the previous season's baddie, so a new season is always worth checking out.  Too bad we have to wait about a year for a new story.

My husband got me hooked on The Voice.  It's the only "reality show" we've ever seen, and we like it's benign and gentle coaches.  No Simon Cowellness on this show.

Since the Danish series Borgen was shown on TV in various countries around the world, I'll include it here even though it has not been shown in the US.  I happened to catch the beginning eps of Season 3 while I was in England; I had heard so much about it that I didn't want to miss it while I had the chance to see even 2 eps, so I cheated and watched.  It is finally available on DVD here in the US, so we bought the whole series; of course, it is now available on Netflix. ::)  Anyway, it is an absolutely brilliant show, and I'm betting there is going to be an American re-make of it at some point in time, so catch the original while you can.

Speaking of Netflix, I've finished House of Cards and am looking forward to the new Orange is the New Black which I think will be streaming in June.

My stepson recommended The Guardian which I saw on Netflix and really liked.  I knew that Simon Baker, who starred in that series, was now doing The Mentalist, so we are now catching up on that series.  My husband in particular loves that show, so we tend to binge watch.

I like Parenthood because I like seeing how they portray Max's character along with the effect his Aspergers has on his parents.  It's heartbreaking.

I also really like some comedy relief so try to catch Modern Family, The Big Bang Theory, The Middle and Suburgatory.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2014, 08:55:37 AM »

Chopped, a food cooking show

Have you ever watched Worst Cook in America?  Pretty funny!

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Sugarlump
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2014, 09:39:18 AM »

And I religiously watch Horseracing on a Saturday afternoon and every F1 race shown on BBC!!!  :ukflag;

10 years of half a life
Difficult times with a femoral line and catching MSSA (Thank you Plymouth Hospital)
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2014, 10:33:34 AM »

every F1 race shown on BBC!!!  :ukflag;

Does the BBC not show every F1 race live anymore?  I LOVE F1 but rarely get to watch it here in the US because of the big time differences (I refuse to watch tape delay).  When I was in London in November, the US Grand Prix was being run.  A track has been built in Austin, TX, and F1 seems to really enjoy returning there every year.  You wouldn't expect it to be a popular race, it being in Texas of all places, but apparently it is has become a big local event.  So I was really looking forward to watching it, but they showed only highlights on the BBC.  Some sports channel showed it live, and my son doesn't have the sports package, so I missed it.  There doesn't seem to be much sport on at all on the BBC anymore.  What happened?  Money, I guess.  ::)  I was really disappointed.

amanda100wilson
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2014, 02:51:46 PM »

I am currently enjoying watching Vikings and The Walking Dead.  I love the UK shows on PBS, and am watching Father Brown and The Amazing Mr Selfridge.  Looking forward to watching second series of House of Cards (enjoyed first series and also the original Brit version), and also Orange is the New Black.  My husband has read all the Game of Thrones series and assures me that the next series (the second half of the book) will be really good.  A

ESRD 22 years
  -PD for 18 months
  -Transplant 10 years
  -PD for 8 years
  -NxStage since October 2011
Healthy people may look upon me as weak because of my illness, but my illness has given me strength that they can't begin to imagine.

Always look on the bright side of life...
cattlekid
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2014, 04:20:18 PM »

Oh, I forgot to say that I do watch Sons of Anarchy on Amazon Instant Video.  I'm just finishing Season 5 and will have to pay (grrr) for Season 6.  But it's worth it to get caught up before Season 7 starts this fall. 

It is a great show but boy is it emotionally draining.  I feel like a limp rag after one episode.  I have to watch them one at a time for my mental health.  Of course, the eye candy (*ahem* Charlie Hunnam, Tommy Flanagan *ahem)  is definitely a plus.   :2thumbsup;
Sugarlump
Elite Member

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2014, 12:31:46 AM »

every F1 race shown on BBC!!!  :ukflag;

Does the BBC not show every F1 race live anymore?  I LOVE F1 but rarely get to watch it here in the US because of the big time differences (I refuse to watch tape delay).  When I was in London in November, the US Grand Prix was being run.  A track has been built in Austin, TX, and F1 seems to really enjoy returning there every year.  You wouldn't expect it to be a popular race, it being in Texas of all places, but apparently it is has become a big local event.  So I was really looking forward to watching it, but they showed only highlights on the BBC.  Some sports channel showed it live, and my son doesn't have the sports package, so I missed it.  There doesn't seem to be much sport on at all on the BBC anymore.  What happened?  Money, I guess.  ::)  I was really disappointed.

That's very true ... the BBC have dropped a lot of sport. No more premium horse races shown and only half of F1 live (I am sitting up at 7am to watch Malaysian Qualifying)the rest highlights only...
I guess it's down to money but they should stop paying their executives such high salaries and give us decent coverage again....
You have to have an F1 package to watch all F1races live and it aint  cheap... £40 a month just for that!!!!!

10 years of half a life
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2014, 08:53:10 AM »

I've started watching Parks and Recreation on BBC iPlayer. I cannot say I've ever really laughed aloud, but I do like Amy Poehler's style, and I adore the sneering teenager character for some reason.

I see there's another episode of Never Mind the Buzzcocks on iPlayer and that show has grown on me. I am useless at pop music trivia so never know any of the answers, but Rhod Gilbert hosted the episodes we've watched most recently, and I cannot get enough of his dulcet tones. :)

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

Sugarlump
Elite Member

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2014, 10:37:27 AM »

Did anyone in the UK watch the first episode of The Island on Tuesday night and what did they think of it? ::)

10 years of half a life
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2014, 11:17:56 AM »

Did anyone in the UK watch the first episode of The Island on Tuesday night and what did they think of it? ::)

Nope. Is that the one that's been accused of being fake?

I've probably said it before, but I'm a BIG EastEnders fan.  Of stuff which is currently on the tellybox, I really love Blacklist, Game of Thrones, The Originals and Modern Family. Desperately waiting for The Walking Dead and True Blood to come back. I'm watching Skins, Supernatural and The Vampire Diaries on Blu-ray box-sets because I missed all of them when they were first on the telly.

I'm a bit of a telly snob though. I refuse to watch ITV, or anything related to it. I'm not sure why ... probably because of Coronation Street. ;D

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2014, 11:22:46 AM »

I see there's another episode of Never Mind the Buzzcocks on iPlayer and that show has grown on me. I am useless at pop music trivia so never know any of the answers, but Rhod Gilbert hosted the episodes we've watched most recently, and I cannot get enough of his dulcet tones. :)

I do love this and now I'm worried I'm missing a series that hasn't been well advertised (it never is)! 

We saw Rhod on one of his live stand-up shows a couple of years ago. I'm pretty sure he told me off for taking a photo (my stupid flash went off).  :embarassed:

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2014, 02:42:17 PM »

I do love this and now I'm worried I'm missing a series that hasn't been well advertised (it never is)! 
Cannot really help you there, but it does seem to be a program that is less visible than many of the other panel shows. Personally, I wish Chatty Man were on iPlayer or any of the other internet television options, but it's not. I've seen Spexy Beast and even on recording I loved it (and I can only take stand-up in small doses usually). Alan Carr is a rare, lovely talent, but I'm told I have 'off-centre' tastes. (I think that's a soft way of saying 'weird'.)
We saw Rhod on one of his live stand-up shows a couple of years ago. I'm pretty sure he told me off for taking a photo (my stupid flash went off).  :embarassed:
He'll be begging for someone to want to take his photo in ten years time. He doesn't strike me as one who will have the staying power of an Alan Carr or a Graham Norton or a David Mitchell. He does have a lovely, Welshy voice though....

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2014, 03:34:53 PM »

Netflix is keeping my TV addiction going. Today it is 19 Kids and Counting and Mighty Morphin Alien Force. I have also watched Star Trek Enterprise, Handy Manny, The Little Couple,
Ghost Hunters International.

As you can see as my hubby says: "You watch a lot of crap TV!"

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Sugarlump
Elite Member

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2014, 01:46:44 AM »

I have watched two episodes of The Island (avec Bear Gryls) now and I am shocked by how disorganized and unmotivated 12 men can be, after having been dumped on this island ... to find food, water, shelter etc

Now if it were a group of 12 women we would have been much more motivated to improve our surroundings, shelter and beds as well as solving the food problem a lot quicker and delegating tasks. Women are far more resourceful than men. We may not have the physical strength but we have the drive... Controversial but true  >:D

10 years of half a life
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »